• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Other people's experiences of Psychotherapy

L

Lorolei

Hello all...

I just wanted to get an opinion on my recent experience as I'm unsure as to how to interpret it.

I had been feeling down for a long time- I would feel fine as soon as I got home but on the commute to and from work (and at work) I had started to feel desperately sad and I was being very harsh on myself. I had some upsetting feedback at work and that, coupled with my poor self-esteem and the fact that I've been single for quite a long time, was making me feel pretty terrible and not a very easy person to live with. So the first thing I decided to do was go back on the pill to see if it helped and I feel a lot better- it's been miraculous really, such a small thing. I must be very hormonal!

So feeling so much better I decided to talk to someone; it was almost like the real, stronger me was within my grasp and I wanted to grab her! And feeling stronger, I knew I was ready to tackle some of the things I've carried with me for a while. So I booked an initial consultation with a Psychoanalytic Psychotherapist thinking it was a really positive step.

Well, I went yesterday and I found the whole thing really bizarre. I didn't expect her to hug me hello or anything but she said 'hello, sit there', gestured to a chair, and then sat across the room from me, which felt very distant. I felt very ready to talk so I opened up to her questions but it was very cold and she frowned a lot- I felt alternately like I was a freak or like I had no right to be there. I was honest and said that I can be quite an angry person and also very impatient and she told me my impatience came across- ok, that's fine- but I felt no encouragement from her and she even said that I may want to 'run away' when I had come to her and was disappointed to hear I might be put on a waiting list.

I was honest and when she asked how I'd found the session I said that I didn't feel safe. I don't know whether she was reacting to my perceived confidence or whether it was a clinical detachment I just hadn't expected but if I had been less willing or able to talk I think the whole of thing would have been deeply upsetting. I feel a little bit like finally admitting I have a right to happiness met with quite a negative response and she even asked me whether I felt rejected by her, which I did.

I would just really appreciate other people's opinions as I'm not sure what to think and I don't know if I'm overreacting. I maybe made too many assumptions before going but surely people more brittle and vulnerable must go all the time?

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Lo

A

Apotheosis

Hi - I think that the important thing in a client/psychologist relationship is in finding someone that you 'click' with, & that you can get along with, & work with. A lot of them are crap IMO.

keepsafe

keepsafe

When I first started therapy in order for me to feel in a safe place and a secure environment my therapist told me she would not touch me and that would only happen if she needed to gain over a situation like me banging my head against the wall, then she may have to intervene. To this end I think they are distant, but I do click with my therapist and do not find her to be negative.

I did have a therapist that was constantly telling me to look up at her and I didn;t like that very much.

KS