Osho leaving his body, 26th anniversary

Kerome

Kerome

My father actually pointed out to me that it was the anniversary of Osho's death on the 19th of January. The last few days I've felt strongly connected to Osho, things have been coming up in my meditations which show the signs that Osho has left in us, and so I decided to revisit some of the coverage around him leaving his body. There's a nice video on YouTube which shows what happened, which i'll share below.

I hope it gives you some sense of what the sannyasin community is like - the fact that it is more a celebration of his death than a solemn funeral march. All along the sannyasin movement had a special sense of design, of presence, of togetherness and of shared love and celebration around Osho. I don't know if something like that will ever come again, but it was special to live through.

I wasnt there at Osho's passing, and this is the first time that I've seriously looked at these video's. I'm surprised how deep the connection I had with him still goes, but I'm also grateful to have known him. He may not have been perfect by some people's standards, but he was a very beautiful being.

Kerome

Kerome

I still find myself deeply moved by this. I'm not sure if I realised it when I was younger, but Osho for me for a number of years was like an extra parent... perhaps even more than that. I loved the sound of his voice, I still do. Without realising it, I seem to have moved at the time into a special kind of spiritual relationship that still lives within me today, that between a master and a disciple, or a knowledgeable and deep spiritual friend and a beginner on the path. It is curious that only now, when I watch the record of the cremation celebration, that this realisation takes flight within me, and bears me on its wings to a new place from where I can appreciate the love that existed.

It's taken a long journey back for the adult me to come back to Osho, and then to find a day of stillness to truly come face-to-face with it. And I don't think it would have happened without an energy experience I had a few days ago, and a sudden vision of Osho's hands and the energy that flowed from them. It's funny, it's like a dam of resistance, ill-will and pride has finally burst, something that was within me as a seed from a very young age and that was nurtured by years out living a working life, and now I'm leaving behind an old self who was on an unhealthy path.

The whole commune was a special place. I'm not sure if you've seen how far today's society is shaped by the pursuit of material things. In the commune that was not true, everyone who came there had made a decision to put a spiritual life first, and not to chase money or a conventional family. It created a special atmosphere, a special energy where you were working with others on a new way of life and sharing with them a common spiritual connection to Osho.

It was the people that made the place special. One of the things that Osho said was that his sannyasins, the people who came to follow him from all over the world, were a special group, lively, creative, loving. My father said that when he saw Osho's image in an article here in the Netherlands in the 1970's, he immediately felt drawn to it, he felt he had to be part of this. It was like that for many people. There was a lot of dancing, music-making, communal work, meditation, loving. There was never a shortage of hugs.

Kerome

Kerome

So you were part of the sannyasin community?
Yes, my father and mother joined when I was six, and I joined slightly later, receiving the mala and new name of a full sannyasin. In 1979 we all visited Poona together for a number of months. With the three of us we had a private darshan with Osho, and I spent a number of years in communes in the Netherlands and US. He even asked me during the darshan whether I had any questions. I thought about it, and then said, no, I didn't have any questions.

They were years of my childhood, but I'm really amazed at what they mean to me now. Many people would say I had a difficult childhood, eight years between being eight and sixteen with thirteen house moves, time spent across three continents, many schools, with just my father and occasional girlfriends looking after me. But I would say I was lucky to have been part of the great sannyasin experience.

It was fun to be part of the commune as a child, though sometimes difficult and lonely. I was the kid in the middle of the Ashram garden sitting in a tree with a pile of comic books, and many years later I was manning the reception at the carpentry shop. I used to go walking in the hills above Rajneeshpuram (in Oregon) or swimming in the lake when it was hot. And it got very hot in summer, and very cold in winter.

Kerome

Kerome

This is what the Pune Ashram is like today... a lot more modern than when I was there last in 1996. But there are still a lot of sannyasins there, people who protect Osho's legacy.

Kerome

Kerome

It's sad... what I am hearing these days is that they have made it more about his "vision" and less about the man. That they have removed a lot of the photo's of him that used to hang around the commune. There are still people who give sannyas, but they are therapists and meditation group leaders. You can still meditate in Osho's samadhi though, where his ashes are interred.

Poopy Doll

Poopy Doll

It's sad... what I am hearing these days is that they have made it more about his "vision" and less about the man. That they have removed a lot of the photo's of him that used to hang around the commune. There are still people who give sannyas, but they are therapists and meditation group leaders. You can still meditate in Osho's samadhi though, where his ashes are interred.
I can relate to this. When my master Darshan Singh Ji died, most of the pictures of him disappeared. All of the videos of him disappeared. I especially miss the access to the videos. They made no effort to keep the videos available. And they have not put any on YouTube except some people from India put videos of him giving talks in Hindi which does me no good. My teachers ashes were put in the Ganges or ocean, I forget which. We have our memories, Kerome. We have our memories.

Last edited:
BorderlineDownunder

BorderlineDownunder

In the Aboriginal Culture, images of the deceased are rejected entirely.

That is why when you watch an Aussie show or doco quite often it will have a warning in front "this may contain images of the deceased"

its Blasphemous in their culture.

Kerome

Kerome

I can relate to this. When my master Darshan Singh Ji died, most of the pictures of him disappeared. All of the videos of him disappeared.
I looked him up and read the short biography of him on the website. It was quite interesting, he spent some time as a civil servant... Osho was a very different sort, he was a university professor for a while but he was always in trouble for speaking very directly.

But as I understand the organisation that Darshan Singh Ji was part of, leadership seems to pass from father to son, and they train the sons in the spiritual lore. That means there is a spiritual successor who will try and make the organisation his own, but perhaps he may not have the insight of the previous leader.

Poopy Doll

Poopy Doll

I looked him up and read the short biography of him on the website. It was quite interesting, he spent some time as a civil servant... Osho was a very different sort, he was a university professor for a while but he was always in trouble for speaking very directly.

But as I understand the organisation that Darshan Singh Ji was part of, leadership seems to pass from father to son, and they train the sons in the spiritual lore. That means there is a spiritual successor who will try and make the organisation his own, but perhaps he may not have the insight of the previous leader.
Yes, he had a regular government job and a regular family. I can honestly tell you his being a conduit for spiritual energy and out of body experiences was transferred from his father, Kirpal Singh. But Kirpal received the spiritual mantle from Sawan Singh Ji who was not related. Several other guru's also can trace their lineage back to Sawan Singh. So it seemed very strange to me when Darshan died and they announced that his son would be the next master, a second transfer within the same family. It started to look like a family business. And I'm sorry, but I have been around Rajinder Singh personally and he is no spiritual giant. It annoys me that Rajinder has directed that his own fathers pictures no longer be for sale and his own fathers videos no longer be available. It is called Sant Mat but it is also the Radha Soami lineage. I can share with you much more but I don't want to overwhelm you. I just wanted to clarify that passing the torch from father to son is a new development, not a main feature of Sant Mat. Sawan Singh, who was not related, appears to people to this day even though his physical form is gone.

Kerome

Kerome

It would be a shame to exchange a tradition of real guru's for a tradition of fake ones. This Rajinder sounds like a very dubious person, I'm surprised he doesn't hand over leadership of the organisation to someone more capable... it makes him sound like someone with bad intentions.

The whole deal with Osho's commune is different, there is no real successor, the senior people seem to be sticking with a policy of promoting meditation and therapies side-by-side, and the commune is run by an inner circle of long time disciples.

Poopy Doll

Poopy Doll

Kerome, I can't say for a FACT that he doesn't have the spiritual connection but I can tell you that when I was very sick from the lupus the prozac gave me, and I was taking steroids for the lupus which made me insane, I went to Rajinder Singh to ask him for help or guidance. He was in a hallway in a hotel and I was walking trying to catch up to him. He did not stop to talk to me. He kept walking away. We were alone in the hallway. I told him I was very, very sick. He did not stop to have a conversation to ascertain my situation. He just kept walking and said to go to a homeopath. I did not understand why I was treated like a nobody when I had been a person who had experiences from his father.

When I told this story to a group coordinator he went berserk. He immediately launched into a character assassination of me. It was all violence of the tongue, which we are not suppose to do, him especially. I wrote to the head of satsangs in Chicago and they said it was a personal problem and not their concern.

Everyone is pretending that the master is perfect in every way. "sigh"

I remember having a bookmark or some kind of card with Rajaneesh written on it.

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
The whole deal with Osho's commune is different, there is no real successor, the senior people seem to be sticking with a policy of promoting meditation and therapies side-by-side, and the commune is run by an inner circle of long time disciples.
Odd Creatures are attracted to the flame.

Certainly there was something about Osho - But the people & groups etc it has spawned, i am very dubious of personally. They are Not him. Osho himself was deeply controversial in many ways, he wasn't someone of the calibre of Ramana Maharshi imo (as example).

There's a pollution within a lot of 'modern' spirituality imo, the connections with money, wealth, luxury, status. i don't know, i wonder if the Old ways of Hierarchies within it all have passed - that the days of the priest / Guru / authorities are over.

Kerome

Kerome

Let's be honest, Osho courted controversy. He advocated anti-hierarchy, anti-priest and anti-politician points of view, and spoke out at length against religions although he always said he was in favour of the quality of religiousness, which he explained was totally a different thing. He was also at various times critical of other spiritual figures, such as calling Jiddhu Krishnamurti's enlightenment "of the mind" and calling the Buddha "a very dry man", which didn't do him any favours with the intelligentsia, although he did greatly respect Ramana Maharshi.

Osho on the other hand advocated that everyone should be wealthy, he didn't believe in being poor although he warned against clinging to ones possessions. He let the sannyasins take care of him and didn't object to lots of marble and warm robes and nice watches. He also didn't give much indication that they were important to him, and he took care not to let status hierarchies develop in the commune, for a long while anyway. He spoke in favour of love and celebration, therapy and insight... there was always a disco in the commune.

If you're interested in the core of his teachings, this is not a bad place to look:

Osho World: Vision: Meditation
Osho World: Vision: the New Man
Osho World: Vision: the Third Quantum Leap
Osho World: Vision: the Conscious World
Osho World: Vision: Zorba the Buddha
Osho World: Vision: A Secret
Osho World: Vision: the Greatest Challenge

At heart I think he was a totally original man, highly insightful. But as he himself said, he was still a master searching for disciples, friends of the heart who were willing to learn. Energetically he was someone who had attained, his presence was amazing.

I think it is right to rail against the conservatism of priests and the two-facedness of politicians. Maybe it will wake a few people up and bring us closer to a saner time.

Last edited:
Poopy Doll

Poopy Doll

My teacher, Darshan Singh Ji Maharaj, was of the old school of gurus. People would just show up at his events, looking for something spiritual and having no idea who he was. They would get an experience.

Because on the outer level there was some political problems, and problems with the rules, the inner level was not diminished.

It is many years now since Osho and Darshan passed. I have a poster from the event where I met him. And I have some personal photos that I took. And I have pictures from a calendar. Kerome, do you have pictures ??

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
If you're interested in the core of his teachings, this is not a bad place to look:

At heart I think he was a totally original man, highly insightful. But as he himself said, he was still a master searching for disciples, friends of the heart who were willing to learn. Energetically he was someone who had attained, his presence was amazing.

I think it is right to rail against the conservatism of priests and the two-facedness of politicians. Maybe it will wake a few people up and bring us closer to a saner time.
tbh i'm Not overly drawn to him & Never have been.

Kerome

Kerome

tbh i'm Not overly drawn to him & Never have been.
It is a journey... I spent a lot of time with Buddhism these last few years, and now I find myself still straongly connected to Osho. When I was psychotic I felt a sudden hankering after Christian spirituality and I even bought a bible. But it helps that when you partake of someone's wisdom, that you try to drink deeply.

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
It is a journey... I spent a lot of time with Buddhism these last few years, and now I find myself still straongly connected to Osho. When I was psychotic I felt a sudden hankering after Christian spirituality and I even bought a bible. But it helps that when you partake of someone's wisdom, that you try to drink deeply.
i feel that we're all individuals on our own journey.