• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Opinions/experiences needed please

L

laural98

Hi all, before I was started on citalopram for anxiety/panic I used to take night Kalms I order to help me sleep. I haven’t been sleeping well lately and wanted to take them tonight. I know kalms are herbal but I wondered if they may counteract with the citalopram. Does anyone have any experience with taking kalms and antidepressants?? Thanks in advance.

EverybodyHurts

EverybodyHurts

I think it advises on the Kalms packet not to take them alongside prescribed medication. I usually have some, but have run out typically, so can't check. I know my GP said that although there shouldn't be any majorly bad side effects, taking both citalopram and valerian (which Kalms is basically) would increase the effects of drowsiness which could linger into the following day.

L

laural98

I thought that may be the case! Thanks for the info. Looks like another sleepless night ahead.

EverybodyHurts

EverybodyHurts

Once the effects of the citalopram kick in fully, you'll probably find that your sleep becomes more balanced. Hope that's the case anyway!

L

laural98

Once the effects of the citalopram kick in fully, you'll probably find that your sleep becomes more balanced. Hope that's the case anyway!
I hope so! I’ve always been a good sleeper until recently, strange how anxiety can affect you isn’t it.

S

StillDepressed

Taking Kalms with Citalopram will have an increased risk additional dizziness, confusion and difficulty concentrating.
Not some thing I would suggest regularly, but if you are not working or driving it shouldn't be a major issue

S

StillDepressed

Apparently taking them together can cause cns
No, the main ingredient in Kalms is Valerian Root which can cause CNS on its own, not the interaction with Citalopram

EverybodyHurts

EverybodyHurts

I hope so! I’ve always been a good sleeper until recently, strange how anxiety can affect you isn’t it.
It is. Unless they've experienced it personally, people don't understand just how much anxiety can affect you physically as well as mentally.

L

laural98

It is. Unless they've experienced it personally, people don't understand just how much anxiety can affect you physically as well as mentally.
I’ve got to be honest I have surprised myself in what I’ve discovered during my anxiety struggle. I praise those who have suffered long before me and have managed to come out the other side.