• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Opening up to friends & loved ones about your diagnosis

E

emmygw14

Hello! My name is Emmy and I was recently diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder, a combination of schizophrenia and a mood disorder. I've been having a hard time the past few months opening up to others about my diagnosis, and wanted to hear from others on this forum...

I wanted to see if anyone on here would be willing to share their own stories and experiences about how they opened up to their families, friends, or loved ones about their schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder. How did people initially react? How did you feel about it? It can be either positive or negative, just sharing an experience from which others on this platform can learn and grow from it, as well :)

Thank you so much! Stay safe!

P

Purpleplum

I recommend not opening up. People look at it differently based on the little information they know and tv and movie portrayals.

P

Purpleplum

Dogs hide it when they're sick because they're pack animals and the pack would abandon them if they showed sickness.
Humans aren't much different.

E

emmygw14

The whole point of this post was to help people become more accepting of themselves and their illnesses that they have to live with every single day, not to shove it down and pretend that it'll go away to make others feel more comfortable... but thank you for your opinion.

FlowerBox

FlowerBox

I'm not sure how to feel, I've opened up to a few people lately and it feels good in the moment but at times I still have moments where I really regret it. They've been supportive but I worry that I will eventually have to cut them out of my life because of trusting them less and less (they "know too much")
But then again sorry to be negative 😅 this just may be because of the nature of what I'm dealing with...it's definitely a good thing to get it out Somehow..if you have people you trust who will be supportive, go for it 🙏 I'm trying to ignore the regret of opening up...

FlowerBox

FlowerBox

I think I've only told one friend what actual diagnosis I've been given though, the others I just talked a bit while I was in a frantic irritable state of mind because of "delusions"

JessisMe

JessisMe

The whole point of this post was to help people become more accepting of themselves and their illnesses that they have to live with every single day, not to shove it down and pretend that it'll go away to make others feel more comfortable... but thank you for your opinion.
Only my parents know about my illness.
My parents refuse to tell their extended family for fear that they will stigmatize me and reject me.
I don’t tell anyone because I do not want their false assumptions to be projected on me. Not everyone chooses to be open and expressive when it comes to discussing what is a personal and medical matter with everyone. Different people have different levels of comfort with things and that should be okay.

P

Purpleplum

I'm not saying not to be accepting of yourself. I'm saying that many others are not accepting of it. Should I lie? I'm speaking from experience and the experience of others I know. Wouldn't you want to prevent others from dealing with that?