• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Open-up offer

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
Here's a copy of a mail-out I received from Open-up which is part of the Moving People project.....

>>Dear Friend

Do you have a great idea for challenging mental health discrimination in your area?

Open Up is pleased to announce the launch of Project Support, a new initiative for people with experience of mental distress, as part of our work with the Moving People campaign.

We are looking for people with ideas for innovative projects, that will challenge negative attitudes about mental health where they live. It could be anything from an awareness raising drama, to a media campaign, to a local support group, If it addresses discrimination in a positive way, we want to enable you to put your plans into action.

Our programme of project support provides

One-to one support from our expert team of Regional Co-ordinators
Training to explore discrimination issues and to further develop your ideas
Help with expenses of up to £5000

We will be supporting 2 projects in each of England's eight regions. We welcome applications from groups and individuals from all backgrounds, whether you are already carrying out anti-discrimination work or just starting out.

Please forward this email to anyone you think might be interested. If you wold like some A5 flyers to distribute, please call 020 7700 8171.

If you'd like to know more, or to ask for an application pack, please call 020 7700 8171 or email [email protected]<<

Nick.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
All those proffessional users with mortgages who know that there aren't any real jobs outside the user field and that the benefit system won't pay the mortgage, i find them highly opressive, i find they represent their funding bodys interests over their users

No doubt thats where the money will end up, at that wsould someone on means tested benefits have to declare it and get into a beurocratical nightmare

S

Starbright

I had that email too. I can't face trying to set up some event though so I deleted it. Good idea to post it on here. Someone might want to have a go.

D

Dollit

Rambo I've done work with MHMedia and always found them extremely professional. And this is part of a long running project - I've spoken at some of these events.

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
I think it sounds interesting having seen friends suffer at the hands of discrimination. The difficult thing is to come up with an idea of what to do - though awareness raising in some way has to be up there.

At the resource centre that I go to there is a really positive (we can do anything) kind of person that might be interested... so thanks for posting the info.! Does anyone know if there's a web site?

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
Thanks Dollit - a true fountain of wisdom!

Honey, xx