• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Open letter to Oprah Winfrey in response to the programme about “The 7-Year-Old Schiz

P

Paul

Open letter to Oprah Winfrey in response to the programme about “The 7-Year-Old Schiz

INTERVOICE has written an open letter to Oprah Winfrey. The programme we are responding to concerns Jani, a child who hears voices, and was broadcast on the 6th October 2009.

If you have not seen the programme and associated article, see link to the programme here http://www.oprah.com/article/oprahshow/20090828-tows-jani-schizophrenic.

This letter intended to be seen by the public through newspapers and other media, such as a letter to the editor, or included in websites, blogs, Facebook etc.

You can link to the online version at the INTERVOICE website here http://www.intervoiceonline.org/200...-programme-about-the-7-year-old-schizophrenic

And download a copy of the letter here http://www.intervoiceonline.org/assets/2009/10/18/Oprah_Winfrey_open_letter.pdf

This is where you come in, please circulate this letter as widely as you can. It would be helpful if you copied me into any email you send, so I can keep track of where it is being posted. Also if the letter is published anywhere online or elsewhere, please let me know.

If you want to add your support, send me your name and some details about who you are and where you live. The more people who sign up the better.

Paul Baker

R

rabina

Re: Open letter to Oprah Winfrey in response to the programme about “The 7-Year-Old S

Paul,

Good work and hopefully this letter will open up the doors for this child as well as others.

rabina

T

Tim Norman

Re: Open letter to Oprah Winfrey in response to the programme about “The 7-Year-Old S

The child is NOT hearing hearing voices due to :

Chemical Imbalance
Brain Damage
Drug Intoxication
Developmental Neglect/Abuse
Spirits-Angels-Demons and the like....

There is ONE explanation for this phenomenon.

Technology

It is that simple. If the child is not "making it up" or a publicity stunt by the parents, the use of technology is the only reasonable explanation for the symptoms.

That is the end of it. End of story. There is no more ! The technology does exist and I believe that if it exists it will be utilized in some form or fashion.

I believe youth with talent are under the same spell. They are obviously very driven and work very hard at their individual specialty. However, I believe these gifts to be fostered by the use of an external form of "mind control," giving the child/adult mastery over something (eg. playing the piano, calculating numbers, photographic memories etc) while the same tool is used to destroy the lives of others.

The reasons as to why some are provided with gifts and others disease is beyond my comprehension. To me it almost seems random, something almost statistical. Something like a computer... with no feelings of remorse ... just statistics to adhere to.

Tim

T

terri

[Q
The child is NOT hearing hearing voices due to :

Chemical Imbalance
Brain Damage
Drug Intoxication
Developmental Neglect/Abuse
Spirits-Angels-Demons and the like....

There is ONE explanation for this phenomenon.

Technology

It is that simple. If the child is not "making it up" or a publicity stunt by the parents, the use of technology is the only reasonable explanation for the symptoms.

That is the end of it. End of story. There is no more ! The technology does exist and I believe that if it exists it will be utilized in some form or fashion.

I believe youth with talent are under the same spell. They are obviously very driven and work very hard at their individual specialty. However, I believe these gifts to be fostered by the use of an external form of "mind control," giving the child/adult mastery over something (eg. playing the piano, calculating numbers, photographic memories etc) while the same tool is used to destroy the lives of others.

The reasons as to why some are provided with gifts and others disease is beyond my comprehension. To me it almost seems random, something almost statistical. Something like a computer... with no feelings of remorse ... just statistics to adhere to.

Tim
Celeste, not M, keep battlingCknight not for nothing

good on ya

Termi
Tim, who shall see it.

I am awaiting your invaluable comments Mr/Dr/Mrs/Ms/Miss Psychiatrist.

Please read my post dated 070609 at 07:54 PM.

It is now the Anniversary of my first year on this site, and I have been extremely patient waiting for your input.

This brings to mind the vision of the Psychiatrist's Couch with the patient pouring out his/her soul and the person with the notebook sayng nought except for the ODD interjection here and there.

Except we have had nothing ODD take place here.

So how about an input? Hmmmm. Please. Pretty, pretty please.

Thanks everso in anticipation of your invaluable replies on behalf of us all at intervoice who are now crackers about getting an answer to very important questions.

Do you still think we have a disease of the mind after all has been written and said? Do you still think we need those electrodes strapped to our heads? Do you still want to section us when we do something a little different to what you call 'the norm'? Do you still want to force feed us those tablets when we say we do not need them? Do you still want to keep a big brother type check on us for the rest of our lives when we do somehow disagree with what you are saying?
Do you still want to keep those doors locked in the psychiatric hospitals to stop people who are desperate for freedom taking a walk outside on their own in the sunshine to give them time to think and assess their situation? Do you still want to use force and violence against those same people who dare to disagree with what you say is the solution to their problems? Do you still want to ruin the physical health of people by insisting that they take mind altering tablets for the rest of their lives which have horrendous side effects?

Do you have any idea about compassion? Do you go home at night and sleep peacefully in your beds? Or do you take those sleeping tablets, and/or drink that Whisky to ease your conscience?

Are you all as sane as we are or are you all barmy barn pots who do not have the pulling power to get those text books and your 'wierd' way of thinking changed?

Thank you everso much in anticiption of your doing all you can to help the young girl who goes through Oprah, and that's wonderfully commendable, can't fault you for that. Just use your brains dear doptors and realise that should the ratings slide that girl would be ditched as quick as Jerry escapes from Tommy or as quickly as you would shuffle off in a space ship should you have the chance as Tom Cruise now plans.

Now listen, what about the rest, who aren't cute, look like death, pain in their eyes, lost all hope. And do not forget those who have already gone over through what do you call it now, hypnogogic hallucinations, and who commit suicide when you tell them it is all caused by an insane mind, no hope, no cure.

Looking forward to hearing your solution to a very important situation.

I am awaiting your invaluable comments Mr/Dr/Mrs/Ms/Miss Psychiatrist.

Please read my post dated 070609 at 07:54 PM.

It is now the Anniversary of my first year on this site, and I have been extremely patient waiting for your input.

This brings to mind the vision of the Psychiatrist's Couch with the patient pouring out his/her soul and the person with the notebook sayng nought except for the ODD interjection here and there.

Except we have had nothing ODD take place here.

So how about an input? Hmmmm. Please. Pretty, pretty please.

Thanks everso in anticipation of your invaluable replies on behalf of us all at intervoice who are now crackers about getting an answer to very important questions.

Do you still think we have a disease of the mind after all has been written and said? Do you still think we need those electrodes strapped to our heads? Do you still want to section us when we do something a little different to what you call 'the norm'? Do you still want to force feed us those tablets when we say we do not need them? Do you still want to keep a big brother type check on us for the rest of our lives when we do somehow disagree with what you are saying?
Do you still want to keep those doors locked in the psychiatric hospitals to stop people who are desperate for freedom taking a walk outside on their own in the sunshine to give them time to think and assess their situation? Do you still want to use force and violence against those same people who dare to disagree with what you say is the solution to their problems? Do you still want to ruin the physical health of people by insisting that they take mind altering tablets for the rest of their lives which have horrendous side effects?

Do you have any idea about compassion? Do you go home at night and sleep peacefully in your beds? Or do you take those sleeping tablets, and/or drink that Whisky to ease your conscience?

Are you all as sane as we are or are you all barmy barn pots who do not have the pulling power to get those text books and your 'wierd' way of thinking changed?

Thank you everso much in anticiption of your doing all you can to help the young girl who goes through Oprah, and that's wonderfully commendable, can't fault you for that. Just use your brains dear doptors and realise that should the ratings slide that girl would be ditched as quick as Jerry escapes from Tommy or as quickly as you would shuffle off in a space ship should you have the chance as Tom Cruise now plans.

Now listen, what about the rest, who aren't cute, look like death, pain in their eyes, lost all hope. And do not forget those who have already gone over through what do you call it now, hypnogogic hallucinations, and who commit suicide when you tell them it is all caused by an insane mind, no hope, no cure.

Looking forward to hearing your solution to a very important situation.

Terri

Guess I did a double up. Don't we all make mistakes sometimes! Not with Human Life Though. What say You, then, Doptor?

R

rabina

Terri, All,

I don't believe that most psychiatrists, family members and the rest of the so called enlightened ones will respond for they are cowards or socio-paths without a conscience and without compassion and sleep snug in their beds at night with their money hidden under their matresses or in their modern day fireproof safes only to wake to their long line of patients waiting for hours to see them that day.

Oprah if she does engage an interest in this girl will ironically rely on psychiatrists diagnosis which may or may not be anywhere near accurate, but perhaps the best to hope for is attention brought to this child.
Perhaps, just perhaps maybe someone with a heart and with compassion and knowledge will come forward with alternate explanations regarding this child and what she's experiencing.

I hope this child has a big mouth and gives it to them good.:)

May God Bless and Keep this child in his hands.
rabina

Quote by Paul: If you want to add your support, send me your name and some details about who you are and where you live. The more people who sign up the better.

Paul Baker

Geesh Paul, I offered to sign up and no response from you; I'm hurt, I thought we here at intervoice had some experience in voice hearing. : (
Perhaps those who signed were "hand picked." A select few.

T

terri

Terri, All,

I don't believe that most psychiatrists, family members and the rest of the so called enlightened ones will respond for they are cowards or socio-paths without a conscience and without compassion and sleep snug in their beds at night with their money hidden under their matresses or in their modern day fireproof safes only to wake to their long line of patients waiting for hours to see them that day.

Oprah if she does engage an interest in this girl will ironically rely on psychiatrists diagnosis which may or may not be anywhere near accurate, but perhaps the best to hope for is attention brought to this child.
Perhaps, just perhaps maybe someone with a heart and with compassion and knowledge will come forward with alternate explanations regarding this child and what she's experiencing.

I hope this child has a big mouth and gives it to them good.:)

May God Bless and Keep this child in his hands.
rabina

Quote by Paul: If you want to add your support, send me your name and some details about who you are and where you live. The more people who sign up the better.

Paul Baker

Geesh Paul, I offered to sign up and no response from you; I'm hurt, I thought we here at intervoice had some experience in voice hearing. : (
Perhaps those who signed were "hand picked." A select few.
Rabina

It's commendable in one way, all the help being given to this child, and we have to begin somewhere, but please, all of you involved, voice hearers and others, don't ever forget all the other children, and adults too. And also, doplease note this point of view:

This child will be thrust into the limelight with fame at her feet with her case followed for the rest of the period of time her appearance on the show is useful. And I have know doubt that the Production Team would want to follow such an interesting story to it's conclusion should the viewing figures warrant it. Should the child not perform, (and I do not mean the word with unkindness) then it would not be in Oprah's best interests because she would not make good viewing. If the viewing is not up to Prod standard then nemesis for any Broadcaster is loss of ratings and the loss of prime 'slot', or the Prod team and/or the Broadcaster's slot is changed. Some points of interest.

Now this story will be of interest in the respect that should the little girl show signs of not being able to cope at any particular time she may be thrown to the lions with the doptors bringing out their text books. They do have a certain life style to finance, afterall. And Guest Speakers and the Broadcaster always like to address a balance on such programmes and put two points of view, even at the expense of the little girl. Believe me this is true.

And I am afraid to say for the child's sake, that of course, there are bound to be times when this child has moments when she may not come over as the perfect 'example', because as we all know those children who are voice hearers are often the sensitive artistic. And afterall what does a child who is sensitive do at times when he/she cannot have her/his own way.

Get exasperated, frustrated, angry, throws a scene and screams, lies on the floor kicking their legs in the air, as though having a fit. What do those who say they know it all, and have done the study, do to angry voice hearing children when this behaviour happens? Destroy talents and lives by putting them on the medication.

What do none voice hearing children do when they feel the same. It's called simply getting it out the system, letting off steam or having a paddy. What does any SANE parent do in this situation. Turns off the tv, game boys, computer or gets them out of the Shop. The child then goes out to play or goes home with a tap on his/her bum. And I don't mean a slap.

Who has more to cope with? The child who is a voice hearer or the child who is not a voice hearer? We all know the answer to that question.

Now this question is> How shall the medical profession, and Ophrah's programme, view any outbursts, and shall they treat such signs as evidence of mental illness?

Are they going to try to record those voices she hears? And if so, do they realise that Our Voices can shield themselves behind the Veil should they not want to be heard?

Would she be protected against abuse by people who have no understanding of her situation for the sake of their ratings figures, the fast buck, adulation and the glory of the woman who is putting herself over as a modern day Messiah.

I rest my case.

All comments through threads on intervoice please. Look forward to your input.

Terri

R

rabina

Hi Terri,
I agree with most if not all that you state.
This child and others who hear voices should not be made into public spectacles, but instead given the private attention they deserve.
Awareness has already been brought to this particular child and perhaps it should end on a private note meaning let her and her parents deal and learn about her situation through information they have received and now receive.
I certainly hope the parents have enough sense to keep this child
protected from the money hungry eating mongers who want only ratings and personal gratification.
Attention has been brought to the child and now just learn from the feedback of those familiar with voice hearing.

God knows this child has every right to her privacy and dignity as we all do.
Let her go and play outside; don't make her into a circus clown because she's not.
Awareness, knowledge, compassion, understanding and sensible approaches for this special child are needed, not publicity.
Bring awareness to the stigma's of voice hearing in general, but not to one special child.
Let the children play, but be aware of her needs as well as the needs of all chidlren.

I think this child will be okay. Let her be now.
Parents, do what's in the best interest of this child not the best inerest of yourselves or others.
Don't be pressured by anyone, but let those with experience and knowledge share information.
This childs stage should be her backyard or park.

rabina

T

terri

Rabina

Your quote:

"Awareness has already been brought to this particular child and perhaps it should end on a private note meaning let her and her parents deal and learn about her situation through information they have received and now receive"

Yes I agree. So be it.

And I know we are in total agreement that all must be in the best interests of the child.

Terri