• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Open Dialogue Finally gets it's foot in the Door in the UK

Kerome

Kerome

Good news, if a bit late for those of us on the drugs train. Should be really interesting to see how they do.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Good news, if a bit late for those of us on the drugs train. Should be really interesting to see how they do.
i think it's going to be a lot better than a primary approach of 'lock up, label & drug' & i hope it opens the door to the beginning of a genuinely humane & effective system of mental health care in the UK.

F

firemonkee57

I think it might be useful for mild psychosis/schizophrenia with predominant positive symptoms/lesser cognitive and negative symptoms.
It's certainly long overdue that it was subjected to more thorough testing.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Open approach to mental healthcare | Letter | Society | The Guardian

Last week, a report by the all-party parliamentary group on mental health said people with mental health problems receive substandard care (Report, theguardian.com, 4 March). In response, the president of the Royal College of Psychiatrists, Professor Simon Wessely, asked to see “good words translated into good deeds”. The good news is that some of these good deeds are already happening – but at the frontline. On NHS Change Day on Wednesday nearly 500 people attended the first national conference, in London, on peer-supported “open dialogue”. They heard firsthand reports of the profound changes this approach is bringing to patients and families.

In Finland, studies show that open dialogue has allowed over 70% of those presenting with acute psychosis to be discharged from services – almost symptom-free – within two years, yet with far less hospitalisation or high-dose medication. In the UK, far fewer achieve these outcomes.

Open dialogue fully involves the patient and their social network, from the very beginning; with a flattened hierarchy, a shared agenda and the aim of “being with”, rather than “doing to”.

A group of dedicated mental health professionals are now introducing open dialogue to the UK. Clinicians and local peer volunteers from four NHS mental health trusts have commenced training, and a trial to compare it to current practice starts in 2016.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
seems popular with the mental health user movement as it's jobs for the boys, i don't know what to make of it, i was saying to my support worker that i should be getting more help as i'm a nutter he said i'm a nutter but i don't qualify either

Didn't like the last worker i had with mental health isssues he was building himself up by putting me down

Toasted Crumpet

Toasted Crumpet

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Didn't like the last worker i had with mental health isssues he was building himself up by putting me down
There are some unfortunate people who work in MH just to feel superior to their clients, I have met such types when I was working in MH they did not last long