• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Online survey?

L

Lou

I'd like to suggest an online survey here to assess what hearing voices groups are doing in all countries.

It could ask questions such as;

Are they facilitated by a voice hearer or professional, what are your views on who facilitates and how?

Have the facilitators been trained, if so how?

Does the group exist in the community, within a mental health setting or local charity?

How does the setting impact on group facilitation and ethos? ie a local charity worker [non voice hearer] facilitating the group who has received medical model 'mental health awareness' training focussed on 'recognising signs and symptoms of mental illness' will be different to a psychologist doing CBT based support to groups with voice hearer facilitators meeting in a local cafe

Are any groups within local charities going to be charged for attendence out of Direct Payments? [I have heard rumours of this]

What is the focus of your group? ie listening to how the members week/month has been, talking about what voices say and offering suggestions on coping

Do you have guest speakers?

Do you have social events?

How do you advertise and recruit members?

What information do you ask members for?

How do you address people in acute distress?

Problems and problme solving.

What helps/hinders in your experience?

What do you like/dislike?

What else could be developed?

L

Lou

So noone thinks it's worth looking at what hearing voices groups are doing?!

P

Pukeko

Hi Lou, I think its a great Idea.

We are trying to set up more groups IN NZ, so would appreciate some pointers.

Our one group was facilitated by a voice hearer and a "professional". But the professional had other commitments that came up, so is no just voice hearers.

It depends on the person, rather than if they hear voices or not for facilitation, as the right professional person, as long as not responsible directly for the people coming, can provide a lot of knowledge to the group.
And a different point of view, just as it is on Intervoice.

We use a room provided by a charity trust

We provide it for free. We get the rooms for free.

Each two weeks we meet. I usually take something I have read in a book or on the internet along as a topic. Sometimes it is used, sometimes people have issues they want to discuss, and that takes priority. We may talk about coping strategies, or particular issues, like last week what came up was how to deal with hearing the voices of people you know. The confusion it causes. Should you ring them? How do you cope with it? ( Thought I might post it as a topic here actually) As is a biggie.

Wish we had guest speakers.

We try to hold an event twice a year with speakers, and food and chitchat afterwards.

We advertised originally by putting posters about. And emailing relevant people in the area. We have a free email list that people can join, to be kept up to date on what we are doing, and we post an email reminder about each meeting.

People dont have to be members of the network to come to a support group. AS a legal requirement those that do become a member must provide full name and address and tel no. The support group attendees just have to tell us their first name.

Problems? Well if we had all the answers we wouldnt need a group!
We look at techniques suggested by research. we ask each other what might be helpful, has anyone else dealt with anything similar. Reminding people that they have to keep at it. Often trying a strategy once does not work, they have to retrain their minds to behave over a longer time?

What helps is the support and improvement of the regular people. What hinders is trying to find more cofacilitators. Sometimes may have all new people arrive ( is an open group) which can be difficult to bring together, but other times can be interesting.

Would like to develop eventually some type of Facilitators gathering.
I thought even setting up one on here would be great? AS sometimes there is an issue, that someone is struggling with and would be great - without identifying the person, to see if anyone can suggest techniques best to use. Or talk about issues.

Would be also great to then start providing seminars and meetings where the facilitators can be kept up to date in their learning. Would also encourage them to be facilitators, as is little other reward.

Eventually maybe even being able to have a pool of facilitators, that can be drwan upon if someone is unable to make a group one evening.

Hmm Think I have answered most things.

Regards

L

Lou

Thanks Puteko that's a great response! Lets hope others follow

S

Sue

I go to a Voice Hearers group - It is very good and helps a lot.

Its mainly facilitated by a Psychologist but when he is not there group memebers facilitate it

We have guest speakers and sometimes drama

It is directed by the users not the professionals

It addresses things like coping strategies, non-medical interventions, the history of voice hearing, medication (from a non medical standpoint) and so on.

It meets weekly

Sue

T

terri

Lou said:
I'd like to suggest an online survey here to assess what hearing voices groups are doing in all countries.

It could ask questions such as;

Are they facilitated by a voice hearer or professional, what are your views on who facilitates and how?

Have the facilitators been trained, if so how?

Does the group exist in the community, within a mental health setting or local charity?

How does the setting impact on group facilitation and ethos? ie a local charity worker [non voice hearer] facilitating the group who has received medical model 'mental health awareness' training focussed on 'recognising signs and symptoms of mental illness' will be different to a psychologist doing CBT based support to groups with voice hearer facilitators meeting in a local cafe

Are any groups within local charities going to be charged for attendence out of Direct Payments? [I have heard rumours of this]

What is the focus of your group? ie listening to how the members week/month has been, talking about what voices say and offering suggestions on coping

Do you have guest speakers?

Do you have social events?

How do you advertise and recruit members?

What information do you ask members for?

How do you address people in acute distress?

Problems and problme solving.

What helps/hinders in your experience?

What do you like/dislike?

What else could be developed?
good idea