• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Online social networking and psychosis

F

firemonkee57

Jan 20 2015
Nikki Newhouse
Posted by
Nikki Newhouse
shutterstock_175661117

I love the Internet and all the positives it represents. Even so, I often take it and the near ubiquitous benefit it offers for granted.

How many of us can really remember Life Before The Internet? How did we procrastinate effectively before @EmrgencyKittens? How did we keep in touch, inform others of our lunch habits and make 500 new ‘friends’ in the period between the carrier pigeon and email?

Quite simply, the Internet has revolutionised the way many of us live our lives, from how we do our weekly shop and book cinema tickets to how we experience illness and seek out information, support and human contact.

Social networks and psychosis

The virtual reality of the Internet has paradoxically enabled us to expand our real social networks and it is this potential for developing meaningful contact with others that is of particular interest to those working with people with psychosis, whose social networks are frequently smaller and less robust when compared to the general population.

Reduced social interactions in people with psychosis are related to a number of factors, including:

Symptom-specific characteristics (e.g. withdrawal, paranoia)
Deficits in non-verbal communication (e.g. problems engaging with social cues)
Negative social impact of illness (e.g. unemployment or stigma)

Online social networking may offer valuable opportunities to create social bonds for people with psychosis. However, there is also concern that many people are not aware of how to use the Internet safely and that reliance on the Internet may lead to reduced motivation to maintain real-world contacts.
- See more at: Online social networking and psychosis

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I think that the internet generally is quite good for people who are isolated and suffer with mental health issues.
But I agree with the point that you can get a bit over-reliant on talking online and maybe neglect going out and trying to make 'real' friends.
It's just about finding a balance, I suppose.

L

lovagemuffin

before the internet we had to look things up in books and do all shopping manually I used to do cross stitching how boring!:scared:

Gajolene

Gajolene

Before the internet, it was all dewy decimal system at the local library, for research. There were some really whacked out books on psychosis. :nod1: