• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Online nursing journal - Substance Use

D

davidbcooper

Founding Member
I would very much value your opinion on the below. Is it a good idea or crazy notion? Your individual comments would be appreciated.

I was recently approached by a professional assessing the interest of the journal (Mental Health and Substance Use) in a special 'conference edition' of peer reviewed papers. Regrettably, we could not use these substance use papers because they are outside the journals scope. However, it struck me that there may be many peer reviewed conference papers that are never published - but deserve a broader vehicle. I am afraid from that point the brain went into over load and I have run ahead, as is my want, with the following!

I have approached Taylor & Francis Group International in a preliminary discussions about an online only substance use journal aimed directly at nurses (though other professional can subscribe if they wish). The concept follows the usual publication format of peer reviewed papers. However, I also felt that it should pick up peer reviewed conference papers - I feel there are a lot of these worthy of publication (though I could be wrong!).

In addition, I gave some though to Diploma, BSc, MSc & PhD thesis/dissertations in that these are often 'lost' in a library, or collecting dust at the authors home. However, they contain valuable information that could be shared with other nurses. As such, these would not be peer documents but would only be accepted if accredited by a credit or distinction. These would be published, in full for access by the subscriber.

I suggested an online publication because I feel that hardcopy of journals are very expensive, so I have put forward a formula that would offer this to nurses on a cheaper subscription, and hopefully, make it more accessible.

The journal would be published three times a year (moving to quarterly as appropriate) and the volume, or individual papers, could be downloaded as pdf files. Thesis/dissertations would be uploaded once approved, and form a separate part of the site.

This would be a peer reviewed scholarly/academic journal with all the policies and procedures associated with such a quality journal.

I have not heard back from the publisher (I only sent this earlier this week) but would welcome your honest opinion on this proposal. I imagine some publisher reluctance (though I have offered my own contribution to cutting the cost) because the profit will be low. However, I feel I can argue that this could be overcome by encouraging more subscribers internationally.

I intend to forward your response (good or bad) to the publisher.

My thanks for your cooperation and guidance.

With all good wishes.

David

David B. Cooper
NCA Outstanding Contribution to Nursing Award
Sigma Theta Tau, Honor Nursing Society; Honorary Member Award
Editor-in-Chief; Mental Health and Substance Use - dual diagnosis
23 Orchard Gate
Dolton
Winkleigh
Devon
EX19 8QZ
T: 01805 804445
E: [email protected]
Conference W: www.smhp.nhs.uk/conference
Journal W: www.informaworld.com/mhsu

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
Short post, but it sounds like exactly the thing that the interweb was made for. A 'database' of past papers available to metasearch akin to say JSTOR but for papers that never went to print (i.e. undergrad, masters, Doctorate) would be a fine thing to find on the net; if they were never peer reviewed perhaps now they can be? That said it might also be an idea to up' all the papers to that webased plagiarism application, otherwise it would be a treaure trove for cheats...

I will be interested in following how you get on...

Oh and :welcome:

D

davidbcooper

Founding Member
Online Journal

Thank you for taking the time to respond. This is appreciated.

David