Online mindfulness course - I would like to find out about mindfulness

A

anonymous1

Has anyone tried the following course - Be Mindful Online - An Online Mindfulness Course I am wondering how good it is and whether it is worth doing.

I would like to learn about mindfulness and to be honest I feel annoyed that as a service user of cmht for many years that I've been overlooked totally with this (as have others locally), and that a course or lesson(s) of any kind haven't been made available, and yet if I was a new hospital admission in the next town I would have got help.

I am curious about the approach and wonder if/how much it would help.

Last edited:
cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Think it helps a lot - but needs practice/doing. A spiritual master replied to a friend - Meditation is easy; just sit there & do nothing; & Yoga is easy - do some stretches - & just be yourself. I think that people over-complicate stuff.

All the teachings are in essence the same thing - Still the mind & go within. Gently observe the self - reflection & contemplation of what is - allowing things to be.

"The truth is that you already are what you are seeking"

"All that is necessary to awaken to yourself as the radiant emptiness of spirit, is to stop seeking something more or better or different, & turn your attention inward to the awake silence that you are"

- Adyashanti

"Only by looking quietly within the self that you know, can your own reality be experienced".

There are some good resources on the 'beyond meds' blog, which is written with consideration for MH experiences/perspectives -

Meditation is the PRACTICE of learning to PAY ATTENTION. That is all.

For me, it's the case of doing it, I personally need to focus more on a more disciplined practice; but do feel that a basic mindfulness practice can be very effective.

Originally I was taught Diaphragmatic breathing (slow deep breathing), which I think can be very helpful as well.

Diaphragmatic breathing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What I think it all boils down to is increasing our awareness. I don't think it's a cure all, there are lots of other things that are helpful for overall health as well, & often it does help to have someone more experienced with it all to work with.

I think it's one of those things that is very simple, but hard - hard in the sense of continued & regular practice/focus.

Last edited:
speckles

speckles

It seems to be that either mindfulness is found to be very useful by mental health problems or people do not find it helpful, it certainly needs a lot of practicing and commitment I guess really you can only know if it will help you by learning about it, practicing it and then see if it helps you or not.

I

itsallaboutme

My psychiatrist keeps hampering on about mindfulness and I think it might suite me by thinking diffidently about thinks and reflecting, I've got a new psychology appointment soon and I think she's going to try it.

calypso

calypso

Admin
It is really useful for all people, not just the mentally ill. It can be done and I am on a DBT course, I know. But there are many books on it. The one I am trying, to enhance my skills, is Mindfulness In Plain English by Bhante Gunaratana. He is a great writer, and I found it the easiest book to read. He doesn't do all that complicated stuff, just makes it clear.

It does take practise, but don't let that put you off. It doesn't matter if your mind wanders, that's what minds do. Its being totally aware of what your mind is doing, and then pulling it gently back, again and again, to what you were mindfully thinking. We do things like just put our hands on a table and told to observe them. What we are actually doing is watching our minds wander off, and what we were thinking and feeling, and then bringing them back to the hands.

Sounds silly, but that is a starter exercise as an example. The problem for me was to become aware of the car crash of thoughts and emotions in my mind which I was blind to. But there are hundreds of other skills with it. But no judgments of your thoughts, just being aware, initially. Then you move on to harder stuff. I think its very interesting, but shocking - to me anyway!

A

anonymous1

It is really useful for all people, not just the mentally ill. It can be done and I am on a DBT course, I know. But there are many books on it. The one I am trying, to enhance my skills, is Mindfulness In Plain English by Bhante Gunaratana. He is a great writer, and I found it the easiest book to read. He doesn't do all that complicated stuff, just makes it clear.

It does take practise, but don't let that put you off. It doesn't matter if your mind wanders, that's what minds do. Its being totally aware of what your mind is doing, and then pulling it gently back, again and again, to what you were mindfully thinking. We do things like just put our hands on a table and told to observe them. What we are actually doing is watching our minds wander off, and what we were thinking and feeling, and then bringing them back to the hands.

Sounds silly, but that is a starter exercise as an example. The problem for me was to become aware of the car crash of thoughts and emotions in my mind which I was blind to. But there are hundreds of other skills with it. But no judgments of your thoughts, just being aware, initially. Then you move on to harder stuff. I think its very interesting, but shocking - to me anyway!
Thanks for mentioning the book Calypso. As a book's cheaper than the online course, I might go for that option.. although really I wish I could go to a course in person.

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Thanks for mentioning the book Calypso. As a book's cheaper than the online course, I might go for that option.. although really I wish I could go to a course in person.
I wouldn't worry about the course. There are tons of videos on you tube, & a lot of web sites & other resources that you can use to teach yourself. Search 'Jon Kabat-Zinn' -

Mindfulness with Jon Kabat-Zinn - YouTube

Adyashanti is also very good -

(One of his books) Adyashanti - The End of Your World (Disk 1 of 6) - YouTube

These 2 videos are very good -

Adyashanti ◦ Basic Principles of the Teaching - Adyashanti

Adyashanti ◦ Application of the Teaching - Adyashanti

Stars and Dark

Stars and Dark

I don't think that anything you do to better yourself is a waste of time. As for choosing a specific course, it is going to vary depending on the individual, what they are seeking, where they are at in terms of who they are, yadda yadda.

If you can, find out what it is that you're seeking in Mindfulness. If possible, talk to someone in charge of the program or that has gone through it and see if your set of questions is answered to your satisfaction.

I would suggest doing a lot of research and dedicating a lot of time to the things you may find on the internet that have to do with Mindfulness. There are a lot of practices and exercises and things to do that go along with Mindfulness and the best way to find what works for you is to do some of them and see which ones help you feel peace, tranquility, or whatever it is that you are seeking.

That's how I started out, just looking stuff up on the internet. Buying a lot of books on the subject. Dialectical Behavior Therapy. Self time-outs.

You know how some people count to ten when they're really angry? that's mindfulness, too. It's everywhere and you probably already practice some forms of it.

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
I completed a mindfullness course with my local NHS nearly five years ago from now. I can honestly say the benefits have been fantastic.
Although currently, i choose not to meditate I do allow myself an awareness. I use it to tune into how I am feeling. I find this really helps to keep me well and even when I am not so well to help myself a little.

Not saying this is easy though

worth a try.

RainbowHeartz

RainbowHeartz

Great thread will have a look at this thread more after work xx

A

Alter Egel

One could also check out Unified Mindfulness, they've got a free e-course which contains several videos and a discussion area, so you can learn the basics and start you own practice.
Hope that helps!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Kerome Mindfulness and Mental Health 2