• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Online degrees?

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
My daughter did a distance learning degree attached to the local university 8years ago while she was ill. She’s not worked in many years and decided to apply for part time work as a teaching assistant recently and got the first one she applied for and started on Monday

L

Lab rat

I was looking into an online degree with the OU before I started my HNC. It’s all a good idea, but leaves you with a big student debt (tens of thousands) which is paid back when you earn over a certain amount (I think it was 25k)

the problem for me was that couple’s are treated as one entity. Which means they would take a big lump of my wife’s earnings as well as my own.

after the hnc has finished, I will continue to study and go for the vendor exams only. For engineering the vendor certifications can count just as highly as a degree.

whatever you decide, I wish you luck! Studying is good for mh, and work is even better! Just don’t push yourself too far, too fast. Take it at your own pace!

L

Lab rat

A word of warning though, in the late 90s everyone got their MBA’s. It really went through a popularity explosion! Now everyone and their dog has an MBA. At least that’s the case in the uk.

think carefully before committing 3 years of your life. Not only does it need to be a subject that you’re passionate about, but it needs to go somewhere in the world of work. The way I did it was to start at the end, my dream job. Then I worked out what qualifications I needed to get there.

M

Mistral

Find out if the online degree is accepted by respected professional bodies such as the Institute of Chartered Accountants. Note there are many professional bodies. Look for the ones which are "chartered".

M

Mistral

When I was a student a long time ago, there was a saying that if you got an MBA (Masters of Business Administration), you could write your own pay cheque. Those days are gone as far as I am aware.

There might be some people getting a lot more than the average graduate salary, but those are just the people you hear about because they like boasting about it and because they are unusual and it is the unusual which makes the headlines. Also because I suspect some universities use these examples for marketing their courses.

I know this is only going to be anecdotal evidence regarding pay scales, but I can think of four people I know who have MBA's. One is doing doing quite well and getting a reasonable salary but I suspect below the £100,000. One was working only part time the last time I spoke to him and has a lifestyle suggesting that he is not earning more than a bank cashier if that. One is doing quite well but has a degree and a professional qualification in another field and does not use his MBA in his job. The forth one, the last time I heard from him, had quit his quite good job which I assume had a pay scale of a middle-ranking civil servant and had been unemployed for several years and not in good shape mentally. Only anecdotal I know. Maybe I just did not mix with the high flyers at university.

N

Nukelavee

With online degrees/certification, it's incredibly important to research the school carefully. Look at graduation rates, costs, and for numbers of successful graduates, like, how many actually get jobs?

Many online schools, even programs affiliated with solid institutions, can have zero credibility in the job market. Like, iirc, University of Phoenix Online has a terrible rep.

MAke certain the online degree from your school has the same weight and credibility as their regualr degrees.

L

Lab rat

There has been a massive dive in wages of late, engineering has been hit hard. After Xmas, I’m looking for part time work I have set myself a wage target of 15-20k for which I’m willing to put in up to 30 hrs a week. I don’t think that after the virus and having such a long break, I’m not physically or mentally ready for full time yet.

THE MANDALORIAN

THE MANDALORIAN

More like half that salary is accurate

Really depends. The graduate has to be willing to seek those opportunities. There are more available than what is known.

But that's off topic.

If you learn for 4 years. Dedicated to obtaining a $50,000.00 career. You will certainly find a $50,000.00 career.

If I invest 4 years. I will secure a $100,000.00 a year career.

Its not that the market wont pay you that. Its that your belief system prevents it.

You are already at a loss if you start your journey with a set of limiting beliefs.

But that goes into further self development.

I challenge you one better. And this will be worth a few million.

Start me at any corporation at $40,000.00 per year; at the bottom....

and in less than 3 years, I will be in a multi million dollar position.

Guaranteed.

There are 7 types of entrepreneurs.

Study "INTRAPRENEURSHIP"

P

Purpleplum

Really depends. The graduate has to be willing to seek those opportunities. There are more available than what is known.

But that's off topic.

If you learn for 4 years. Dedicated to obtaining a $50,000.00 career. You will certainly find a $50,000.00 career.

If I invest 4 years. I will secure a $100,000.00 a year career.

Its not that the market wont pay you that. Its that your belief system prevents it.

You are already at a loss if you start your journey with a set of limiting beliefs.

But that goes into further self development.

I challenge you one better. And this will be worth a few million.

Start me at any corporation at $40,000.00 per year; at the bottom....

and in less than 3 years, I will be in a multi million dollar position.

Guaranteed.

There are 7 types of entrepreneurs.

Study "INTRAPRENEURSHIP"
Do you have this degree? Do you know this from experience?

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

Hey so I was thinking about going back to school, but I was considering an online degree. How affective are they? Can I land a good career with it?
In the UK we have the open university. And the degree you earn is the same as any other. Id say its more difficult since its all about self discipline

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

Do you have this degree? Do you know this from experience?
I smell bull there to be honest. If all graduates could earn those types of rewards the ecomony would need to be booming in a way knowone has seen before in ordee to suppprt them.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Schizophrenia Forum 14