Online bullying & trolling.

G

GoldenVision

A bit about me first, I've suffered from depression, anxiety and confidence issues for most of my life but I need to vent about one particular experience with trolls that hit me for six.
Normally when it comes to trolls online I don't let it affect me too much (despite my issues) but recently I experienced harassment that was so personal and vicious that its left me feeling really down. One person in particular just wouldn't leave me alone and once they started others joined in.
I don't know what's wrong with people, it's almost made me lose faith in humanity. There just seems to be so many cruel people in the world.
I don't know how you guys deal with this. I know people say the best thing to do is to ignore them but it's difficult when the attacks are so personal or people say things about you that just aren't true.
Like I said I just need to get this off my chest because I'm really depressed right now.

O

OCDguy

If it's online, these others' could all be one person. You may be able to take this to the authorities... are you able to share what happened :hug:

Sorry state

Sorry state

Really sorry your feeling low. Particularly because of some *** online. I don't really use social media so have no experience of trolling but the internet does seem to bring out the worst in some people. Just to reassure you that nice people are the majority. Most people are not horrible and mean.

K

Keesha

the internet does seem to bring out the worst in some people. Just to reassure you that nice people are the majority. Most people are not horrible and mean.
Thats right. While it’s unfortunate to go through negative experiences with people, the majority of people are good natured.
Don’t let this experience cloud your judgement of others and you’ll be ok.

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Please if you see trolls or are bullied, please always report to the sites mods/admins.
I'm sorry this happened to you, we try to keep this site as safe as is possible.

G

GoldenVision

Thats right. While it’s unfortunate to go through negative experiences with people, the majority of people are good natured.
Don’t let this experience cloud your judgement of others and you’ll be ok.
I guess when you have really bad experiences it can cloud your judgement and the Internet can be a very malicious place. As Sorry state said the Internet seems to bring out the worst in people.

G

GoldenVision

Please if you see trolls or are bullied, please always report to the sites mods/admins.
I'm sorry this happened to you, we try to keep this site as safe as is possible.
That's part of the reason I came here. Apart from venting my frustrations I wanted to find a forum without trolls or people starting fights. That's actually not easy to find. 😐

fazza

fazza

Trolls have serious issues and feel that because they hide behind a keyboard and pass on their insecurities on to you.

If ever you get trolled although painfull be strong in the realisation that this person has to resort to something so low in order to feed his/her ego.

They are sad insecure individuals that feed on your distress. Don't feed them. Don't reply and don't acknowledge them. Report any incidences to the staff and if you have been threatened in anyway report the matter to the police. But do not respond to the troll.

I hate bullies. They ruin peoples lives.

Remember don't feed their emotions. Starve them

A

angels egg

I had this happen to me around last year. A group of people were talking about me online, which made me delete all my social media accounts because I was so afraid of being followed and harassed. I guess ignoring is one thing you can do, but for me it was just leaving completely since it was only making my paranoia worse. I'm sorry you had to deal with this.

sadpunchingbag

sadpunchingbag

really depends dude on the platform lets say you are on facebook at people at school online are giving you shit online that feels infinitely worse imo but lets say you are on youtube or instagram, twitter, twitch its much different you either have to accept people are just shitty it means nothing is wrong with you they are dealing with some deep seeded stuff to troll my only advice is mute them or set account to private or build a thicker skin i know its not nice to hear but you have to

G

GoldenVision

Trolls have serious issues and feel that because they hide behind a keyboard and pass on their insecurities on to you.

If ever you get trolled although painfull be strong in the realisation that this person has to resort to something so low in order to feed his/her ego.

They are sad insecure individuals that feed on your distress. Don't feed them. Don't reply and don't acknowledge them. Report any incidences to the staff and if you have been threatened in anyway report the matter to the police. But do not respond to the troll.

I hate bullies. They ruin peoples lives.

Remember don't feed their emotions. Starve them
I'm learning that ignoring them is the best way. Even reasoning with them doesn't work. They want a reaction from you and once you do they get worse.

G

GoldenVision

I had this happen to me around last year. A group of people were talking about me online, which made me delete all my social media accounts because I was so afraid of being followed and harassed. I guess ignoring is one thing you can do, but for me it was just leaving completely since it was only making my paranoia worse. I'm sorry you had to deal with this.
Thank you. I'm sorry for you too. It should never get to the stage where your only option is delete all your accounts. I hope at least you've put this behind you. 😊

R

Ramson bangers

Another point of view, my own.
You have to consider the implications of calling/labeling someone a troll. The persons opinion is invalidated, they are dehumanised and easy to ridicule, eventually easily banished or got rid of because of thier label you have given them or the status which it holds.
Its easy to class someone as 'something' if you dont like what they say. Instead question the behaviour and call it out if you dont like it, by all means. But in truth, branding people trolls is too easy and a bad tactic in my opinion, especially when you consider how words were used in the past to put people in thier place. This is an example of that for me unfortunately.
I dont expect many if any to agree, we all have different perspectives and experiences.

G

GoldenVision

Another point of view, my own.
You have to consider the implications of calling/labeling someone a troll. The persons opinion is invalidated, they are dehumanised and easy to ridicule, eventually easily banished or got rid of because of thier label you have given them or the status which it holds.
Its easy to class someone as 'something' if you dont like what they say. Instead question the behaviour and call it out if you dont like it, by all means. But in truth, branding people trolls is too easy and a bad tactic in my opinion, especially when you consider how words were used in the past to put people in thier place. This is an example of that for me unfortunately.
I dont expect many if any to agree, we all have different perspectives and experiences.
I really hope that wasn't aimed at me because firstly you have no idea about what exactly was being said to me or the level of harassment I experienced.
You know technically a troll is anyone who posts inflammatory, annoying or insulting comments in order to cause discord or get attention. Now, obviously there's different levels of trolling, some of it is less malicious and could even be seen as light hearted but nobody here is using the term lighty or accusing people of being trolls "just because they don't like what they say". What we're talking about is vile personal insults and mental abuse, threats and genuine harassment. I think it's quite obvious that's what I and others on this thread have experienced even if we haven't gone into great detail (why should we). Actually, when I think about it the term "troll" isn't strong enough for the type of people we're talking about; I think "online bully" would be a more relevant term.

R

Ramson bangers

I really hope that wasn't aimed at me because firstly you have no idea about what exactly was being said to me or the level of harassment I experienced.
You know technically a troll is anyone who posts inflammatory, annoying or insulting comments in order to cause discord or get attention. Now, obviously there's different levels of trolling, some of it is less malicious and could even be seen as light hearted but nobody here is using the term lighty or accusing people of being trolls "just because they don't like what they say". What we're talking about is vile personal insults and mental abuse, threats and genuine harassment. I think it's quite obvious that's what I and others on this thread have experienced even if we haven't gone into great detail (why should we). Actually, when I think about it the term "troll" isn't strong enough for the type of people we're talking about; I think "online bully" would be a more relevant term.
Alright calm down. You want to go about calling people trolls thats fine. But your attitude towards others is just as bad if you do so. Thats my opinion and my point.
Another thing, im not sure about yours or other peoples experience, only my own. Thats why i speak about it. Not everyone will have the same opinion as you so get over yourself.

Sorry state

Sorry state

Alright calm down. You want to go about calling people trolls thats fine. But your attitude towards others is just as bad if you do so. Thats my opinion and my point.
Another thing, im not sure about yours or other peoples experience, only my own. Thats why i speak about it. Not everyone will have the same opinion as you so get over yourself.
I agree that in general we have to be careful labeling people with any name be it troll or bully or anything else.

However, given that this is a forum for people to find support, advice, comfort and understanding in relation to mental health issues, I don't think your dismissive and condescending responses are really appropriate or helpful.

No offense intended, I completely respect your experiences and opinions but think you could be a little more considerate.

midnightphoenix

midnightphoenix

What people in this thread mean by trolls are the ones who actively try and cause harms to people on forums.

Like say for example, my experience on a couple of different forums was the forum staff on there on the first forum out of the two started actually publically bullying me to the point where i lashed out at the main admin there and told her where to shove her forum then logged out and never went back cause her mods had been making threats against me, not just forum related threats they went further than that.

The other forum I ended up having my account deleted cause again the mods were bullies and they proved to be gaslighters, like *says something* "we never said that" then started bullying when i had not even done anything and the main admin there admitted i should not be getting treated like that but he refused to do anything about it. Another member had the same experience and neither of us were breaking rules at all.

I mean yes we shouldnt jump on the "troll" bandwagon lightly but when people are acting like trolls or bullies then surely we are within our right to refuse to have anything to do with them.