• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

One small step...

hairymunky

hairymunky

A small step, but it was worth its weight in gold to me...

This week the CBT experiment was to go for dinner. For someone who's main anxiety comes
from eating in public, this was a motherload of a task! For the three days leading up to the event, I had a constant migrane, was off-handed and basically just wanted to curl up and be left to die in a safe corner of the house. Had thought about a little "accident" and slipping down a few steps to get out of it!
Waiting to be seated, I was sweating buckets, my nervous cough had reared its ugly head, and I though I was going to spew like I was possessed by old Nick himself. As luck would have it we got seated in a quieter part of the restaurant, and I felt more safe (there was a partition that obsured my view of almost everybody else). With lots of help from my wife (basically calming me down, and holding both my hands so I couldn't wrap them round me), I managed to calm down. Lots of deep breathing (mindfulness might help here), and I managed to eat my first meal out the house since I was 14 (24 years ago) :clap:(y):clap:
Maybe it was a fluke, maybe its a new beginning, won't know till I try again, once I've recovered from the exertion, and talked myself into going out again...

G

keepsafe

keepsafe

Well done, thats such a big undertaking and you made it.

:clap:(y)

Q

quality factor

Hi, that's great! If I go out for a meal or just for a coffee, I have to sit somewhere where I can get out quickly. In the past when I've been out for a group meal, I'll do anything to sit at the end. In any kind of group situation I need to be in a position to make a quick escape and go through the various emotions that you mention too.
I don't think anybody just knows what the anxieties are like unless they have been in this situation themselves, it's a nightmare.

Well done you!!...let's hope you can do it again.
QF.

Last edited:
hairymunky

hairymunky

Thanks Guys (y)
Off on holiday to my worst nightmare in a few weeks... NYC!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Been working up to it for the last few months, hoping it will help me
cope in a city with the population of Scotland :scared::cry:

Might just stay on the plane and come home....

G

invise

invise

Scotland!

Hey there,

great to see a fellow Scot on the forum! keep up the good work mate,

bfn

Micra95

Micra95

Congratulations! It's a giant leap for you and you should be very proud. As a child I used to hate eating out and would fake illness so I didn't have to go to cafes/restaurants. I still dislike eating in cafes on my own.

hairymunky

hairymunky

It's been a bit of a stumbling block, especially when my wife
wants to do the stuff normal couples do, dinner etc, and I spend
all my energy trying to get out of going.
Going to try again this week, and see how it goes.....

G

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Social Anxiety Forum 2