• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

One Bad Decision After Another

Aogburn1

Aogburn1

I made a horrible mistake and have no idea how to deal with it. I quit a good paying and easy job to move closer to my grandchildren and now have a low paying horrible job that I hate and I am separated from my wife while she tries to sell our old house. She is really my only adult friend and being depressed is a nightmare. I am growing more depressed every day and contemplate suicide daily. I love my grandchildren and my children but this change at the age of 62 is more than I had bargained for. I only have myself to blame and wish there was a way I could make it alright again.

wollie

wollie

Hi Aogburn.
That is one heck of a change it is bound to make you feel down, have you seen a doctor about it?
You cant change things after they have been done, you have to think more about your grand children and children you are bound to see more of them in the future.
All the best woolie.

calypso

calypso

Admin
Hiya. Can you look for a better job? Were you and your wife going through problems before this? Suicide is so final but I understand your feelings here. Its awful to feel this way and to feel you have made a mistake. Being closer to your grandchildren - is this working out for you at all? Sorry for the list of questions, just want to understand more. My deepest sympathies go out to you. I'm 63 and know that such changes are dramatic as you lose all your former associations even if they weren't your closest friends.

Aogburn1

Aogburn1

I am lucky that I have a wonderful and understanding wife. I feel like she has cleaned up my many mistakes and messes over the past 40 years. That is one of the reasons I feel so guilty is that I am still screwing up our life and she has to pick up the pieces. I love my grandchildren but I feel like a burden on them as well. My daughter and son in law are very patient and supportive but the child should not be emotionally supporting the parent!

I have never been a model employee, and have longed for retirement for a way to work for myself since I was in my 30s. But having a family I always knew I had an obligation to provide my family the best life style I could, which has always meant a traditional job. The closer I get to 67 the more I thought it may some day be a reality, however this last move may have put all that at risk.

I am feverishly looking for another job that may better suit my lifestyle (lazy?) and long term dreams, but day to day it is very depressing and seems hopeless.

Z

Zoe1

hi Aogburn

you poor man you must be exhausted
with all this providing for people
and now beating yourself up about it as well !

there is a sub forum here
about work and money and stuff
I recommend you do a post in there as well
people are very knowledgeable there
about work opportunities

and indeed opportunities to not work
if you dont feel up to it
to give yourself choices for a change

there is also a depression forum
I hope you will find it helpful here

:grouphug: 🕯