• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

On those with a schizophrenia diagnosis

L

Lilac

Does anyone who has a diagnosis ever get released and totally off drugs?

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Does anyone who has a diagnosis ever get released and totally off drugs?
Yes - there are countless stories of people doing so, but it's Not guaranteed.

It's been 17 years since i was last in hospital, have been fully discharged from all psychiatric services for over 4 years, & am on a low dose of one medication.

There are challenges & difficulties, but also a lot of progress, has been over 12 years since the last major psychotic episode.

There is the potential of more progress as well.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
mary barnes laings cure, whether she had schitzoprenia, used to turn up at day centres were they'd talk about commisioning a mary barnes collage as proof you can better from schutzoprenia, couldn't help thinking my friend was a better artist on drugs but day centres weren't commisioning art from him, maybe if they had he'd have been off the sick

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
came across this guy on linked, 30yrs ago he was schitzoprenic, now he;d got a job off drugs and whats more isn't a proffessional lunatic, remember one friend in brum saying he's the only person he knows whose come out that hospital the other side

Guy i shouldn't mention things that could identify him, but for a long time he'd claim benefits and work without declaring it, it'd now be fraud and an imprisonable offence at that

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Catherine Penney is worth looking into -

Dante's Cure

Google 'schizophrenia resolved'

Recovering from Schizophrenia Without Medication | Mad in America

Successful Schizophrenia

Article -
Resolution and remission in schizophrenia: getting well and staying well

Resolution and remission in schizophrenia: getting well and staying well | BJPsych Advances

Abstract

"Remission is a new research outcome indicating long-term wellness. Remission not only sets a standard for minimal severity of symptoms and signs (resolution); it also sets a standard for how long symptoms and signs need to remain at this minimal level (6 months). Individuals who achieve remission from schizophrenia have better subjective well-being and better functional outcomes than those who do not. Research suggests that remission can be achieved in 20–60% of people with schizophrenia."

I Never Promised You a Rose Garden (novel) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://wildtruth.net/dvd/brokenwings/

Bibliography of First-Person Narratives of Madness in English, 5th edition -

http://www.gailhornstein.com/works.htm

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
"Although out reach and crisis services are needed, without a 24/7 front end system sanctuary like Soteria, CooperRiis, Diabasis House, the Open Dialogue or the sanctuary - folks don't have a chance to avoid having their potentially transformative psychosis being aborted with medications and a Schizophrenic diagnosis being laid on them for the rest of their lives. Loren Mosher on alternative approaches to psychosis, was agreed that all the sanctuaries like Laing's Kingsley Hall, John Weir Perry's Diabasis House, Soteria, Burch House, Windhorse, the Agnews Project. And the med free, no restraints, no diagnosis, open door Ward sanctuary; plus the Euorpean and Scandanavian Open Dialogue places- well they ALL basically do the same thing. They provide the necessary and sufficient conditions for a person to go through a psychotic process and come out the other side-'Weller than well'- as Karl Menninger famously said. By being held in the healing crucible of a caring, open hearted setting, the psyche naturally sets it's own course and heals from the early wounds that made a dramatic psychosis renewal necessary in the first place. If instead, a person is labelled as having a diseased brain and medicated into emotional numbness and submission, then the energy and power and symbolic expression of the purposive psychosis simply falls back into the unconscious. Then whenever a loss or trauma happens, the person de-compensates into an ever more amorphous emotional and fragmented daze of so-called chronic psychosis where renewal and healing is far more difficult."

“I have now, after long practical experience, come to hold the view that the psychogenic causation of the disease is more probable than the toxic [physico-chemical] causation. There are a number of mild and ephemeral but manifestly schizophrenic illnesses - quite apart from the even more common latent psychoses - which begin purely psychogenically, run an equally psychological course (aside from certain presumably toxic nuances) and can be completely cured by a purely psychotherapeutic procedure. I have seen this even in severe cases”.

- Carl Jung

Jung & Schizophrenia

Eighty-odd years ago, Jung voiced his deep concern that the powerful, often vivid, chaotic and disturbing psychology of schizophrenia, which he had so painstakingly chartered and honoured throughout the many years he treated and healed schizophrenia sufferers, had not been given the respect and serious attention it deserved. He likewise lamented the appalling lack of knowledge of the psychology of schizophrenia among those of his own profession, a situation which has changed precious little today.

Sadly, however, Jung's vast body of invaluable work has fallen for the most on hostile ground and deaf ears, ironically in psychiatric circles, largely because Jung's respect for 'the reality of the psyche' and its religious, mythic and spiritual needs, dimensions and instincts poses a threat to the materialist bias that underscores drug-based, or biologic psychiatry, but also because his personally demanding and soul-centred approach to psychiatry is radically at odds with the detached 'illusion of expertise' on which biologic psychiatry's mask of authority, presumed sanity, and stagnant wasteland of 'brain chemistry' dogma are shakily grounded.

In place of dry textbook knowledge learned by rote, Jung gives precedence to living primary experience, hence his assertion that we understand nothing psychologically unless we've experienced it. In this sense, the people who know most about schizophrenia are the sufferers themselves, followed closely by those who have 'been there' and have pulled themselves out of a psychosis and so 'know the road'. Such folk, as invaluable 'wounded healers', can therefore often guide others groping along similar roads, or pull people out of the quagmires and tricky labyrinths of psychosis.

Equal Therapeutic Dialogue

In place of the practitioner's mask of fatherly authority, Jung puts the mutual vulnerability, openness, imaginal richness, honesty and trust of the therapeutic dialogue, in which patient and therapist confront one another on equal terms and through which both stand to learn and grow. In place of forced treatment, hasty consultations and toxic psychiatric drugs, Jung puts a trust in nature, unconscious wisdom and the healing which, residing in the 'patient patient', is catalysed and midwifed by the caring therapist. No wonder he poses a threat to those who esteem power, professional detachment, diplomas, diagnostic manuals and drug company profits over the empowerment, equality, freedom, healing and dignity of the patient.

Needless to say, there are other closely related and equally grave moral issues at stake here. For instance, imagine, if you will, that a reputable medical practitioner had come forward with evidence of a safe, natural cure for cancer, but that the medical establishment had ignored the evidence and, worse still, had kept the findings from cancer sufferers for fear of losing income and power through their monopoly over the provision of existing anti-cancer 'treatments', which do not heal. By the same token, Jung - and others who have followed in his wake - cured his schizophrenic patients with psychotherapy alone. The tragedy of the 'mental health crisis' is not only, then, that so many already fragile and wounded people have been damaged and driven to suicide; what is equally tragic is that all along, there have existed natural, re-empowering, healing alternatives to psychiatric drugs; alternatives which biologic psychiatry, the Government, Schizophrenia Fellowships and drug companies have in a morally disgraceful way ignored, or deliberately kept from sufferers and the public."

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
There are very likely multiple, complex & individual variables within the unique person & their circumstances that effect prognosis -

Some people fully resolve their mental health difficulties medication free.

Some people make degrees of recovery & progress, on & off medication(s).

Some people suffer long term with reoccurring illness.

There is a growing research & evidence base regarding what comes under the psychoses/schizophrenia. It is a complex field, & there are many different perspectives to it all as there is with psychiatry/psychology/mental health in general.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
remission you or one of your people define as been 6 months symptom free, plently of people on meds meet that plenty of people can be symptom free who come off drugs, it takes 6 months to a year before the illness returns

"Remission is a new research outcome indicating long-term wellness. Remission not only sets a standard for minimal severity of symptoms and signs (resolution); it also sets a standard for how long symptoms and signs need to remain at this minimal level (6 months). Individuals who achieve remission from schizophrenia have better subjective well-being and better functional outcomes than those who do not. Research suggests that remission can be achieved in 20–60% of people with schizophrenia."

Last edited:
R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
thing is cpu when you say the majority of people with schitzoprenia can recover drug free, you use to make up the majority figures studys that aren't about schitzoprenia but more minor mental illness and studys using the on med recovery

then you quote individual anecdotes of schitzoprenic drug free recovery

and if pushed you'll add in an ideal world knowing full well there ain't no such place

as for antipsychotics increasing risk of illness. if you look at people my age a lot on antipsychotics are on the sick a lot off drugs may not be. what isn't mentioned is a lot of off meds people aren't been included because they're dead

off course those who've been off meds for decades are the better ones, they're selected to be

Last edited:

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
thing is cpu when you say the majority of people with schitzoprenia can recover drug free, you use to make up the majority figures studys that aren't about schitzoprenia but more minor mental illness and studys using the on med recovery

then you quote individual anecdotes of schitzoprenic drug free recovery

and if pushed you'll add in an ideal world knowing full well there ain't no such place

as for antipsychotics increasing risk of illness. if you look at people my age a lot on antipsychotics are on the sick a lot off drugs may not be. what isn't mentioned is a lot of off meds people aren't been included because they're dead

off course those who've been off meds for decades are the better ones, they're selected to be
i accept my diagnosis & the medication. i'm Not opposed to a comprehensive psychiatry/front end services as part of a mental health system, & potential wise use of medication, & think it's probably needed in cases, even if we had a far more ideal system. But there are far better ways of treating people & helping them imo. There are people that recover/heal medication free from diagnoses of severe mental illnesses, including schizophrenia. There is a lot of evidence that even with severe mental illnesses there is a very big question mark over a lot of the current biomedical paradigm & primary focus on psychiatric drugs, & decent evidence for the efficacy of alternatives.

How things currently are is how they are. We'll see what happens with Open Dialogue in the UK, & the various associated more comprehensive healing organisations/movements?

i'm happy to in part agree to disagree with you as i always have done.

P

pansdisease

Yes, i was released and given no meds.

I acquired work and a place as well.

But then they came back because they didn't want me to be free or healthy. I was once again dragged into the pit and my entire life was ruined again.

Quit calling it remission, that isn't what it is. This shit isn't even a disease. It's torture and we're just getting killed.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
you were put under stress and without meds became ill, but i agree quit calling it remission, also quit calling a period those off meds manage remission