• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

on the inside!!?

S

shabbia

Im new so be gentle...only kidding..
Anyway i have an interview next week for a new job in the same company and im shi**ing myself.
I really want the job and i have plenty of experience and knowledge. My issue is that "they" will expect me to talk about certain things and i know im the person for the job but feel i will have to say whats "required" not what i know to be true about mental health issues from my clients point of view...............
I feel as if i have to play the game to get where i want to be and sometimes im sick of this political posturing. I feel my true contribution is that i dont bullsh*t the people i work with but tell it straight.......
Sorry about the whinging but it really winds me up.................:mad:

HULAHOOP

HULAHOOP

the corporate image

Hi there
yes you are right, you will only get the job if you say what they want to hear,
you have to be corporate right??????
don't worry it winds me up too.

I think you should say what they want to hear to secure the post and give your best interview, that way if you get the job you can change their mind sets with evidence of other ways of doing things in time and by example.

Thats what I do, I don't compromise my beliefs and experiences re mental health but I subtly work on changing the culture from within.

Hope this makes sense, there is so much ignorance out there and political clap trap, and to some extent you have to play the game, but you can change the rules as you go along.

Dont change your core being and beliefs though, no job is worth that, because if you do, you wont be happy and you wont stay.

good luck, let me know how you get on

D

Dollit

Sometimes to change the system you have to seem to become a part of it.

S

shabbia

Hi Dollit and Hulahoop,

Many thanks to you both. I get all twisted up trying to remember to say all the right things and dropping catch phrases into the whole process that my brain starts to melt dow.... had a whole day yesterday where i couldnt remember the first letter of any acronym's!! Got to laugh ,really. Ive talked to mental health professionals, commisioners,cpn's etc and everyone has been really supportive. Wont give anything away now but will know end of next week.
Thanks all.:scared::unsure::)

A

anastasia

you know what, i think we all get so hung up in saying "what they want to hear" that we dont make our point anyway.

you say you know you're right for the job, well tell them that. in your own words. screw all the acronyms and the buzz words and be honest about it and tell them why you can do the job and why they want you and not someone who knows all the buzz words.

sometimes being honest counts more than being the one with the biggest vocabulary!

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
Good luck with the job.
Kp

S

shabbia

Hi everyone...many thanks for the support and good wishes. Had interview yesterday and didnt get the job!
So feeling deflated, let down exasperated and angry, frustrated etc.............................Ive talked to a few people and most of them are gob smacked to say the least and surprised by who got the job. Im not going to be bitter, but they advertised the post as one thing originally and yet by the time HR had maulled it it had turned into a watered down version of the first job! So being me i wrote what i thought by way of saying how dissapointed that i was because they had done this and that we were missing out on a new service and potential as a company to offer some thing really great..................
Perhaps i shot my self in the foot with this. I even spoke to one of the commisioners of this "role" and they emailed me with things to swot up on at interview. None of these things were gone into in any depth at all...................ive worked for this charity organisation for while and feel utterly let down.................im sure i willl feel differently in a few days....just raging about something i would have done brilliantly and will be done adequately now.....:mad::(

HULAHOOP

HULAHOOP

hi Shabbia
sorry you didn't get the job, sometimes when things happen like this I always think so be it, things happen for a reason, usually a good one. I hope you get over the upset soon, I'm a little in the same situation, listening to a lot of political clap trap at the moment. Buzzwords everywhere from people who haven't got a clue, I'm sticking it out for now (credit crunch and no jobs around being the main reasons), but always on the look out for the next move.

If they chose the wrong person that will come back to bite their asses, although you know what they say most interviewers recruit like for like, someone that isn't going to be too difficult to line manage or indeed show them up because you can do it better.

Look at it this way maybe you have had a lucky escape, there's always something more exciting round the corner. All you need to do is play the game and keep one step ahead until your time comes and it will, take care, don't ponder too long, its no doubt their loss.

And remember watch out for those who are on the way down as you are on the way up, it will happen

S

shabbia

Hi Hulahoop,
Many thanks for your thoughts and words. Im feeling a lot better about it today. I was talking to a volunteer i work with and they said how they would have missed me etc. Its good to here you are appreciated while your around. I think sometimes people only say these things when your leaving....
I tend to vere towards the glass half full way of thinking. I know something else will come along the skill is to be ok about it happening and not frustrated about being in control of timescale. It might be the job i want hasnt even been created yet, who knows.
thanks again:)

M

maudikie

I have always found it pays to tell the truth, and it gives you a chance to explain how you feel if you are not well. This must be your own decision, but for me not to be open aboutit would make me more worried.:)