• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

On Open Dialogue Part 1: Introduction

F

firemonkee57

You may be right but I think a much stronger evidence base is needed before jumping to that conclusion.

F

firemonkee57

Considerably more than the current very limited degree of evidence. Some might say it can't just be due to mainstream resistance that it hasn't taken more of a foothold despite being around for quite a while now.
That having been said if enough proof can be found that it helps even just a subset of people that would make it worthwhile.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Some might say it can't just be due to mainstream resistance that it hasn't taken more of a foothold.
i think there is ample evidence of it's effectiveness, & i think the mainstream Zeitgeist & vested interests/forces at play in all these areas are reason enough as to why more comprehensive psychosocial approaches have never really been used - Not just in our time, but very largely for at least the past 400 years, & especially since Jung.

D

Deliah

Firemonkee, it is the scepticism of service users that is limiting the wider use of such things in my view. Understandably a lot of people who have mental illness and are experiencing paranoia and so on are extremely untrusting. This means that people will stay with what they know even if it is shit. Better the devil you know and all that. I don't believe that people actually have a choice when they are scared and feeling safe in what they know and not wanting to take a chance in case it's not true and they have to go through more hell. However, for those of us who can take that step, myself included, it has changed my entire life and put me back in charge. D x

D

Deliah

In my view it is the resistance of the people it is there to help. Catch 22. I see it on here, the majority are in the system and not going towards these things and some people are happy with that. I think I stand in the minority. I've been going it alone for the past two years since a spell in hospital and realising that they didn't have anything to offer me that I wanted. I am however very grateful that I was able to be in a place, fed and watched over until I felt well enough to leave. D x

F

firemonkee57

Firemonkee, it is the scepticism of service users that is limiting the wider use of such things in my view.

I would prefer to call it intelligent caution and ultimately it's not patients that sanction treatments . At the moment it's premature to make conclusions either way. That should be a call for further properly conducted trials not for doing nothing.
If it gets even a subset of patients on no/reduced medication I personally would see that, and I think many others would, as a positive thing.

D

Deliah

Rufus May has already done trial to prove success, but it didn't fall in line with the latest NICE publication and so couldn't influence what doctors are doing. D x

L

letalis

Environment is a better predictor of mental distress than genetics. You would think that would encourage psychiatry to re-shift focus from a biological model of mental distress to environmental factors. But while many psychiatrists and its defenders pay lip-service to biopsychosocial models, in reality its attention is directed solely at biological solutions to mental distress.

Last edited:

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
If it gets even a subset of patients on no/reduced medication I personally would see that, and I think many others would, as a positive thing.
Already been done & established - same with Diabasis, Soteria, i-ward, The Sanctuary, Windhorse & many others - for well over 50 years. Some would say it was firmly established with Jung & before him with Tuke, some 300 years ago.

i think the main issue is 'you' have to admit that biomedical psychiatry is fundamentally wrong - & that is too much for most people. The current biomedical/materialist model is a Religion, & operates on the same principles.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Considerably more than the current very limited degree of evidence. Some might say it can't just be due to mainstream resistance that it hasn't taken more of a foothold despite being around for quite a while now.
That having been said if enough proof can be found that it helps even just a subset of people that would make it worthwhile.
Have asked this before (don't expect i'll get an answer)

Where is the evidence & proof for the healing effectiveness of lock up/label & drug?

F

firemonkee57

Have asked this before (don't expect i'll get an answer)

Where is the evidence & proof for the healing effectiveness of lock up/label & drug?
Plenty of evidence out there that it works for quite a few,but by no means all, people. That's if you can be bothered to do a search.