• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

omg - im so nervous and excited

T

TOONAFISH

I have been volunteering at a residential home for the elderly for a few months, every tuesday. I normally just go around and have a chat with the residents, do crosswards, paint nails, make tea, help at lunch etc.

Spoke to the manager today and i asked how i could progress. they suggested doing a couple of induction days, then start by doing two shifts a week. when i was ready. i said i was up for starting now, so next tues just my volunteering but the week after doing an induction shift. eeeeeek!

Half of me is excited - been looking forward to working again, and feeling a part of it all, and the other half is thinking, what if i get ill again, what if i end up in hospital, what if i let everyone down.

I want it all to work out obviously, but im so afraid of this illness, it turns up when least expected. After 2 long hospital admissions, i think my confidemce is totally gone.

And im worried about fitting in with all the girls there, what if they dont like me, or think im an arse. its all so scary i feel like a school leaver for god sake. Im 34!!!! get a grip woman. :D

ok novel over. any advice or anyone work/worked in care sector(y)

rollinat

rollinat

Founding Member
No advice, I'm afraid, but just wanted to say congratulations on the job - that's really great news and I hope it all goes really well - keep us posted.

:clap:(y):clap:(y)

keepsafe

keepsafe

Congrats - you are bound to feel nervous - its like anybody illness or not feels nervous in a new job, don;t worry what others may be thinking about you - try not to project too far in advance - well done you and good luck

L

Leon

Hi Toonafish, I've had some really bad episodes of depression over the years, but never been hospitalised, but feel it could easily have happened. Somehow I managed to get through work even though my head was all over the place.
IMO I find it useful to count your blessings and feel gratitude for what we do have - even though it may not seem a lot. If you take this on and make a go of it could be good for your self-esteem, and you will be making a contribution to the lives of the old folk. that will be two things to add to your gratitude list.
If you try and it doesn't work out, then at least you tried.
good luck, whatever your decision

T

TOONAFISH

thanks for your replies. i spoke to my folks about childcare. liam is at school but erin is only at playgroup two mornings. they said they would be able to help so it is looking good. now i just have to get over the nerves. feels like so long since i had a job. eek

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Depression Forum 10