• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Omega 3

N

NaNook

I have read on a number of sites that Omega 3 can help depression.

Has anyone experienced this, whilst taking other medication or is it just a waste of time?

S

suzy

Right, that's me off to buy some tomorrow! I will update you on how I get on with it!!

T

TOONAFISH

my psychiatrist put me on 1000mg of high strength omega oil (omecor)

to start with my hair was really greasy and my skin was spotty. it did settle down though.

i started it at the same time as an anti d, so couldnt say if it helped or not with the depression, but it is good for your body.

apparently you get a lot of omega oil in fish, and eskimos eat mainly fish and have a v low rate of depression. just something i read.
x

E

emoatnight

fish is brainfood

I also take Omacar with a mood stabilizer when discussing how this may help its a very long term drug its effects may only be slightly noticeable after say 6 months but it can have very beneficial effects as its continued build up may really help in stopping having relapses in the future especially with bipolar disorder 5 or 6 years down the line and in some cases quite a bit longer it may be time to come off medication Omacar helps repair the brain and helps the brain function correctly in the production of seratonin etc so it will greatly decrease your chances of having a relapse in mood swings. so when taken over a long period of time its very beneficial but it should be prescribed with some other medication like an atypical anti-psychotic, mood stabilizer or anti depressant if the low periods of mood are more dominant than the mania.

N

NaNook

I am on Epilim but just the starting dose at the moment.

C

Citizen67

I suffered from very bad depression from the age of 14 quite possibly from the age of 10 until the age of 40. it was hell then at the age of 40 I started taking Omega 3, it didn't work straight away, it took a while, it didn't work on my depression until 7 months later, the Omega 3 seemed to work on my body first before moving on to curing my brain problems, but in the end it did completely cure my two types of depression, SAD and hypoglaecimia. Fact: 24% of the brian is made from essential fatty acid of which omega 3 is one. Omega 3 also cured loads of problems I had, loads of. them, aching joints, pain, sentivity to the cold, having nightmares, always being hungry. plus quite a few more.

Last edited:
Danniegirl1990

Danniegirl1990

I've been taking omega 3 and a multivitam8n with my med regime...cant do any harm to be fair