• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Omega 3 - Mood stabilizing?

A

Affective

Has anyone else heard this? I just read this on the internet on Wikipedia that further study is needed but has helped some people. Has it worked for you?

DiagnosisBipolar2

DiagnosisBipolar2

I know there have been lots of ongoing studies suggesting that Omega 3 Fish oils can help with Bipolar patients.

The capsules my first psychiatrist suggested cost £25 which i'm afraid was more than I could justify spending!!

So in my opinion the jury is out as to whether or not patients see any benefit, however I shall watch this thread with interest.

A

Affective

This is what I came across:

Omega-3 fatty acids, given in the form of fish oil tablets, were shown in a 1999 controlled trialStoll to maintain mood stability far better than an olive oil placebo. This was a very exciting result, especially as the trial was inspired by "bench chemistry" -- omega-3 fatty acids were recognized to have intracellular effects similar to lithium and valproate. Now some other small studies are beginning to be reported.

There are two "omega-3" fatty acids in fish oil: EPA (eicosapentaenoic) and DHA (docusahexaenoic). Some studies in people with depression or bipolar disorder have used EPA alone, including one of the most recent with the strongest positive results; but one of the larger earlier studies using EPA alone showed no benefit. Many of the other studies shown below, including the first one from Harvard, used fish oil tablets which provided both EPA and DHA. For now it seems safe to conclude that having both does not interfere with the antidepressant and mood stabilizing actions; and that EPA alone might be sufficient.

You may have heard of omega-3's or fish oil as having some benefit in reducing heart disease as well. That research is a little farther along than the mood research. I have not followed it closely but it seems that the focus there is more on DHA than EPA. This means that if you want both benefits, you may need to stick with a source that has both EPA and DHA. Luckily, it turns out that the cheapest version has both, and has been lowest in the tests of mercury (undetectable levels). So for now it looks like the cheapest source may be the best -- an unusual situation in my business! Details on which kind to consider, and how many pills you'll need, can be found on the "more fish (oil) stories" page. For another excellent source of information, a bit more technical but more complete, see the Mayo Clinic pages on omega-3 fatty acids.

iffybob

iffybob

Just me

I take fish oil, "cod liver oil" for my joints, they crak, and it seems to make them more reactive (faster),

I tried Omega3, one of the cheap brands, I had the same prob with both the cod and the Omega3, if I take 1 a day I dont sleep, and then every thing sort of goes like an acid trip ( dont ask ), I can take about 2 of either of them a week with no bad effects,

I tried looking up why I might react that way but I just got a pile of hits that were not relevent, any pointers appreciated.....

Cheers ....... boB ..... (y)

Jo1760

Jo1760

I hadn't heard of the study you posted, which did make very interesting reading by the way, however I take an omega suppliment currently as i am a vegetarian and thought it may help. I have to admit i haven't found it much help in balancing my mood, but things effect people differently, so it may help a lucky percentage.

X

K

karimas

@Effective: Whilst DHA provides mainly a structural role it is becoming evident that EPA may be the dominant functional fatty acid out of the two and there are many conditions that respond much better to DHA free supplements. Removing DHA from fish oil products simply allows to increase the concentration of EPA. If the body takes in large amounts of EPA the body is capable of converting some to DHA so a DHA -free supplement doesn’t necessarily mean you don’t get DHA! Remember that EPA stocks need constant replenishment whereas DHA levels remain pretty stable. It is doubtful that taking a product that is free from DHA will negatively affect DHA status as the body will merely increase its production from internal EPA stores.
:grouphug:

T

TOONAFISH

hi my pdoc put me on high strength omecor fish oil. i had to take 5000mg per day. it made my hair and skin greasy to strrt with but after a while it settled down. it helped my dry skin on my body and psoriasis. but i started it at the same time as my lithium so i wasnt sure if it was doing me any good. i got it on prescription tho. i think it is terrible that you wouldnt get it prescribed.
x