• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

olanzapine (zyprexa) experiences

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hi.I'm new here and wanna talk about olanzapine.I've been taking olanzapine for about a year now and am starting to become concerned.I've put on a lot of weight,more than 30 lbs.I'm worried about developing diabetes.
I'm interested in peoples experiences with zyprexa olanzapine,good and bad.

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
Hi Olanzapine has been suggested to me for depression and I was warned that the main side effect is weight gain.
Others on here have probably taken it.
Welcome to the forum.
KP

T

Twylight

I've been on Olanzepine for 11 years and it's by far the best

I had weight gain to begin with and I am quite big, but no longer increasing

Lara

Lara

I dont know how much help I can be for this one. They put me on olanzapine to level out my physcosis but it didnt really do much and I wasnt on it for very long, I think 2-3 months. sorry.

chesya

chesya

All I can say is that it removed my ability to draw and paint which was a disaster for me. I couldn't drive and couldn't speak French anymore.

T

Twylight

All I can say is that it removed my ability to draw and paint which was a disaster for me. I couldn't drive and couldn't speak French anymore.
Yes, like all anti-psychotics, it suppresses thoughts and emotions
I've tried 10 anti-psychotics, but Olanzepine is the best of the bunch

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
Does it supress the negative thought and emotions ie suicidal ideation and self harm? If I could get rid of this I would be happy?
Can you drive once you have got used to it?

chesya

chesya

Does it supress the negative thought and emotions ie suicidal ideation and self harm? If I could get rid of this I would be happy?
It removed from me the pain of suicidal thoughts, violent aggressive thoughts against others and constant infatuation and my sexual fantasies became less 'perverted' (in the technical rather than colloquial sense), although I still got paranoid and angry and cried a lot to music.

I should say that I usually had it in combination with depakote and chlonazapam and that I was in France where they English people often seem even madder than they actually are. Only once did I have it on its own and it seemed to have less side effects.

I remember having to prepare early for bed, but still often woke dressed slumped across my bed. And the weight gain, but I can see how it would be helpful in a lot of situations.

I drove when I was supposed to be able to and had 6 near misses on a 90 km journey.

Last edited:
S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Thanks for the responses.
I've been gaining weight steadily,even when I reduce my calories.The extra weight doesn't bother me,I just don't want diabetes.
I can drive without any problems,but I lack motivation to do anything,so when I'm not working I'm in bed.I'm on 10mg olanzapine for schizophrenia,and 30 mg mirtazopine for depression.

T

Twylight

I could drive on it - but it made me a very careful driver

If anything it slows my mind and of course it's a downer, but to be quite honest I do smoke cannabis sometimes (which helps)

I would say that it's worth a try - it might suppress negative thought

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
I've thought of olanzipine,one shrink suggested it, but i think my problem neighbours are real, but it might stop me getting anxious over the incidents

I've heard it makes you sleepy, my drug does that anyway, then theres possible weigh gain

T

Twylight

I've thought of olanzipine,one shrink suggested it, but i think my problem neighbours are real, but it might stop me getting anxious over the incidents

I've heard it makes you sleepy, my drug does that anyway, then theres possible weigh gain
Yep for sure it causes weight gain and now and again it upsets my sleep pattern
Like yesterday afternoon I went to bed at five in the evening and slept 'till 2.30 am - I stayed up untill 2 this afternoon and slept for again 3 hours - till 5

D

Danage

Side-effects

You know what? I became worried only a few weeks ago that I might develop diabetes while taking Olanzapine, but Olanzapine worked better than Amisulpride ever did. Olanzapine, it is true, does cause weight gain (for example, I put on two stone), but the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. If it works then stick to it.

One of my grannys (this would doesn't actually exist according to Firefox, but you should know what I mean, I hope), who works in a unit, assured me that after so long (I guess six months, since I was on Olanzapine for half a year, before they changed to Amisulpride, and subsequently changed it back to Olanzapine after the Amisulpride didn't work) if you don't get the side-effect you won't get it at all.

D

Dollit

Even if you do develop diabetes as a result of Olanzapine it is supposed to be reversible when you stop taking it. It was one of my medications for a while and I found that the positive effects far outweighed the bad.

D

Danage

Interesting.

Even if you do develop diabetes as a result of Olanzapine it is supposed to be reversible when you stop taking it. It was one of my medications for a while and I found that the positive effects far outweighed the bad.
That's interesting, and a relief to me that it is reversible if I develop it taking Olanzapine, although this begs the question: how is it reversible, is it something to do with the pancreas? Thank you.

Pax et bonum.