olanzapine withdrawal

• Thread starter ckgschizophrenia
  • Start date
ckgschizophrenia

ckgschizophrenia

hi if you stop olanzapine suddenly how long will it take for your sleeping to get back to normal?

please could you tell me whether you know or if you've ever been on the drug yourself

(y)

burt tomato

burt tomato

Forum Guide
If you have been taking the drug for more than 2 years you will experience severe withdrawals that could last 6 months. Then you may have a hard relapse from not taking the meds.

But yeah you won't sleep as much.

K

Kelly B

I stopped taking olanzapine against doctors orders. I don’t remember experiencing any withdrawal symptoms but that is more likely the exception to the rule considering the horror stories I have seen on here. I’m pretty sure I titrated down instead of stopping cold turkey which probably helped.

schizolanza

schizolanza

a schizophrenic stopping olanzapine cold turkey! Really bad idea! I rate your chances less than 1 percent. You'll almost certainly go nuts. I tried it myself about 10 years ago. I was very determined but the withdrawal symptoms were way too much for me to handle.
It can be done though. A proper slow withdrawal over say 6 months or more supervised by your psychiatrist will improve your chances greatly.
Sleepless nights when going cold turkey is the least of your worries.

FadeToBlack

FadeToBlack

It made me feel violently sick after two years on the drug. I would recommend having doctors involved in this to try and make it better.

It's a horrible drug. Keep trying new ones. I have been on 6 different meds now and I am finally on one that doesn't make me fat and a zombie.

schizolanza

schizolanza

It's helped me. But i'm addicted to it. If It was stopped, along with the Effexor I've been taking for years then my local locked ward would experience me with a big hammer trying to break in. My negative view (and lets be honest there has been a lot of negative posts in this thread) is that I feel very much like a underclass pawn in this game. And it's all about the money. as it always is. For me I want to continue with my olanzapine. But I am concerned and pissed off that the big boys made olanzapine addictive. Yes fuckin assholes! The science follows the money. Its a shit situation. But that aint gonna change!!! Ever!!!!!