• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Olanzapine & Weight Gain

Lovely

Lovely

Hello there!

So, in 2012 I weighed an unhealthy 6 stone! Then fast forward to now having been put on Olanzapine I am now a whopping 16 stone! How the hell is it possible to put on that much weight? What the hell did I eat? A horse?!? My family & friends obviously don't love me that much because they let me get this big! I actually remember realising I was rather large one day, I just looked in the mirror & thought "Oh my gosh" who is that!!!!!

Before I got ill I used to be a dancer and was reasonably active! I was never good at cross country but I was a great 100m sprinter! So my point is, how the hell do I lose this weight? Someone please tell me? Yes, I have a gym membership, I've been 3 times in one year! I HATE the gym! I can't walk up hills & can't run for long! I'm screwed?

I just want to know if anyone else has put on loads of weight?

I literally love the bones off Olanzapine for making me well, but I hate you Olanzapine for making me look like a hippo! I've never been this big in my life :-( not even kidding when I say I had a better figure than Beyoncé!

Lovely x

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Weight gain is very common on all sorts of mental health meds, but i've heard that olanzapine is a particularly bad drug for making people gain weight.

I don't think it's fair to say you're family and friends don't love you that much to get big. I think it says they love you unconditionally whatever your size.
Also, it's not a very kind thing to comment on someone's size and they may have not wanted to hurt your feelings.

I do think that being mentally well sometimes has to take priority over how much you weigh, especially during bad times. When you feel better, as it sounds like you are now, that's when you can tackle these things.

I wouldn't say you're screwed. Is there something in particular you don't like about the gym?
I'd say that in order to be motivated to exercise, it has to be something you enjoy doing rather than something that feels like a punishment.
Personally, I think a walk in nature does you loads of good, perhaps more so than being on a treadmill.
You say you liked to dance, perhaps there are some dance classes near you that would feel like fun?

As well as eating healthily, I do think making sure you get enough water can help with any fluid retention and can also help with weight.

N

natalie

Hi,

I'm so pleased but very annoyed this topic has come up! I was oriignally on Olanzapine, from 2004, through to 2008, and parents realising, and brother too, what was going on, or shouldn't have been, and right away they thought - different medication is required. We spent an age thinking back, in researching, and trialing, then, Abilify came onto the scene, and hey p resto, regarding my strong interests to return back, into the fitness world so to speak, to prevent stress and irritiblity, and to help improve poor ciruclation due to my reynolds, with hindsight, it was a real struggle, for me to feel even encouraged, to put motivation in! So in some respects, I do sympathise for you. Yes, Olanzapine, does definitely cause one to accelerate to eat, and cause weight gain, and I am very much relieved after since 2007in July that year, to come off actually it was much earlier than that, Olanzapine, and discovering Abilify.

I for years since 2007, have been working out to fitness dvds, daily, regular basis, and also attend Zumba Dance classes. I am soon to be embarking on a voluntaryw ork project, which, as a combination technique for that, I'll be buisly working out in low impact dance in at home, and strengthening, to help me feel fitter and more toned up, for the role of Data Entry. I also, think, in agreement, that you as you imply, that you had previously loved dance, so maybe if I may suggest, you consider for a change of a less weight gaining medication in order to help you then, to consider a route back into dance, and that as you suggest, will certainly keep your weight down, and at bay.

I was horrified, once I knew what wasn't going on with me, and I didn't wish to become Obese, so, then when Abilify came along, I thought, right that;s it, I'll slip in to return to dance and toning fitness, if I can explain my back ground of interests of ideaology of goal a minute, I was wanting to become a qualified aerobics instruction, trained up and qualified for t hat, however, due to a massive and severity of a problem I used to have about me and although not too bad now, I had to put that idea onto a backburner - fianance, wasn't the issue oh no, it was my disability of communication difficulties, which became a big problem for prospective providers to take me on for training for work purposes. Rats, I felt, so with this much of a hobby, and work potential of interest non background about me, when it came to Abilify in July 2007, that year, onwards, I felt right, I'll do something about that, I'll workout - and gradually over time, and bearing in mind away on holidays with parents too, I had overall eventually lost all of my excess gained weight!!! I was oriignally 11 and then 10 stone, and gradually and carefully over time, I came down to 9.3 quarters, and then 9 and half. I have been even 9 stone 4 at one point currently. So althouigh if you have masses amounts of time, and avaialibility to workout, not becomign addictive I hascent to add, this can be achieved, gradually over time.

I know weight gain and weight loss is a real struggle, so I hope, half hope, what I have explained out to you, might be of worthwhile of support and information for you, when you say dancer, were you a teacher, or just part of a class, either way, once you gain confidence, that's another thing, I happily have confidence about me, to go out and attend classes of Zumba, which might be for some people, with weight issues, rather of a daunting experience, certainly not and hasn't been for me, though. I do agree, that maybe you could look into taking part in dance classes, that you might find enjoyable for you.

Let us know, and I know that weight issues are a problem for most patients, how you'll be doing, and I'm starting volunteering next week, so I'll be around only for a few days a week, via this forum, and I'll touch base via this thread, in the potential hope, there'll be some posiivity, and encouragement, and also hopefully others will follow suit to offer their support, and information, out to you. I do feel sorry for you, that you have had to have gone through this problem, and Olanzapine for me I feel, so I do agree and sympathise, is, one of the worst medications, and to cause weight gain. I half hope that it will somehow go well, for you over time.

Keep us posted, how you'll be doing,

Natalie.

Lovely

Lovely

Weight gain is very common on all sorts of mental health meds, but i've heard that olanzapine is a particularly bad drug for making people gain weight.

I don't think it's fair to say you're family and friends don't love you that much to get big. I think it says they love you unconditionally whatever your size.
Also, it's not a very kind thing to comment on someone's size and they may have not wanted to hurt your feelings.

I do think that being mentally well sometimes has to take priority over how much you weigh, especially during bad times. When you feel better, as it sounds like you are now, that's when you can tackle these things.

I wouldn't say you're screwed. Is there something in particular you don't like about the gym?
I'd say that in order to be motivated to exercise, it has to be something you enjoy doing rather than something that feels like a punishment.
Personally, I think a walk in nature does you loads of good, perhaps more so than being on a treadmill.
You say you liked to dance, perhaps there are some dance classes near you that would feel like fun?

As well as eating healthily, I do think making sure you get enough water can help with any fluid retention and can also help with weight.
Hi Somerset Scorpio,

Thank you for your reply. I really appreciate your advice!

Oops daisy, can I just clarify I was joking when I said "my family don't love me etc...". My family have been incredible & I love the bones off them, & they love the chubby cheeks off me (I have an odd sense of humour).

However, I agree, no it's not a nice thing to comment on someone's weight. But, if you can see someone close to you really getting out of hand, I personally would tell them! "That's enough chocolate bars for you love"! That's just how I am though. Keep in mind I wouldn't say that to ANYONE, just my close circle that know me. If they can't handle the truth, then carry on eating, but don't come crying to me when you look like a mammoth! I never had that, when I was ill & reached a good wholesome 8/9 stone my family still kept fattening me up by bringing junk every day for months!

I dislike the gym because to me it's fake. I'm an outdoorsy & love walking - so you my friend are a genius! As for dance, I used to do ballet, salsa / flamenco & contemporary - I can't go back to those till I am fit, so Zumba it is.

I need to completely change my diet plan. Since coming off Olanzapine, I'm back to eating how I used to, one meal a day! I literally eat like a rabbits amount. But that's not going to help me lose weight is it?

Serious note - my weight is really getting me down now. 16 stone & I have to lose 6 stone? The thought of it makes me feel like a failure. I've literally given up before I've even started. I've no motivation at the moment, no get-up-&-go. I can just about do my uni work & volunteering, so the thought of anything else ...... I'm emotionally drained guys, waking up for me is hard enough.

N

natalie

HI,

Make sure and it is just a tip of a thought - that when you choose a Zumba class, aim for Zumba Gold, rather than Zumba, because this is very challenging and demanding, and I wouldn't like you to overdo things, in the early days of trying to loose weight. I recently attempted, Zumba, and, made a big mistake, not having then at that point worked out at home up to that point, it was a bit too challenging and demanding for me.

Just a tip.

Natalie.

N

natalie

Hi Lovely,

I'm just touching base with you - to check how you are?

Take care,

Natalie.

N

natalie

HI Lovely,

I just wanted to make a suggestion; if you have the enough room in your home to do so, for you to be able to, I would recommend that you work out with fitness dvds. These are a great way to get and keep you moving on a regular basis, and you wouldn't also have to be worried about getting to the gym. I suggest you do the dvds, if you are able to, and can, before you even consider getting to zumba. That way, you are more accustomed to working out, won't have to worry about getting to the gym, or class, and then at a point when you feel ready enough, then, and only then, you could aim for zumba gold classes.

I hope you're alright, do keep us posted.

Take care,

Natalie.

S

switch

I'm on Olanzapine but I joined Slimming World in Oct and have lost a stone. I've still got 2 and a half stones to lose though. But it shows that you can lose weight and still take this drug.

T

Thoth

Olanzapine is quite notorious for this. Before I was on it I was 84kg, and I had a very healthy diet, and I average about 14-18km of walking a day, not to mention the soccer matches. So what happened? I gained 14kg or about 2 stone. I noticed quit early this was happening, and was aware before taking it.

So I increased my activity, and I literally halved my diet serving sizes, and within a year I put on 2 stone despite all that effort made. The good thing for Zyprexa is that it is an excellent mood stabiliser, much more effective than Lithium. But the trade off is that you put on weight.

Anyways I've been off of it for 3 months, and I'm now at 90.5kg.

B

ballerina123

I have to really watch what I eat on olanzapine. Ive gained a lot of weight to but it helps with the psychosis so Im unwilling to come off it.
have you tried any other anti psychotics?

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

I have gained weight. I don't diet anymore, and my weight has gained over the last year or so.

In the past I have had times, where the weight gain was very rapid. It is an odd experience.

T

Thoth

I have to really watch what I eat on olanzapine. Ive gained a lot of weight to but it helps with the psychosis so Im unwilling to come off it.
have you tried any other anti psychotics?
Weight gain for Olanzapine seems to be very common problem as seen here. Same issues for those who rated their experience under the brand name.

For me personally I found Zyprexa a pain, because you feel very hungry, and the first few weeks I was eating more, a lot more. Then you realise its a problem and you muster the will power to have a strict diet regimen, and tell no one to buy confectionary or junk. I remember once I so hungry one day, that I sort of ate 500g (1.1lb) of Greek honey yoghurt in a day, as well as a large amount (easily 200g) of brazil nuts. :(

During the time I was on this drug, I figured the best way to keep myself full and not craving was having about 5 serving sizes of granola. But you see I start most days at 6am and sleep around 2am. So during these days I'd tried not to have lunch until about 2pm. Either way you can manage your weight within 2kg of it. But my best advice is before you take it, prepare for the first few weeks of sudden cravings, that's if you get them. Your mileage may vary, but this is my experience on.

I took it primarily as a mood stabiliser and for the first 3 months as a sedative. The other anti-psychotics I was on were short-lived. I have heard very positive reviews from people I've talked to about Lamictal and Abilify (aripiprazole) people either say its very good, or it didn't do much. I was only on it for a month, and I got motor agitation and restless legs from it which was quite intolerable.

Also Since coming off of it in December, I've more than halved what I'm eating, and within standard serving sizes. And lost 1st. 4lbs (8kg).

N

natalie

HI all,

I have been remembering, from the time when I became very ill with voices, so bad, and still so bad whilst on Olanzapine, that I need to be taken off, that, and what with the weight gaining, issue, to have found a better med. I was still having problems, and until when Aripirpazole came along, and eventually 25ml, and I have been very much healed from hearing very badly loud voices, a bit like if people are talking aboiut me, well I am sensitive in a way, only I had the problem severely. I am very much healed on 25ml, of Aripripazole, I have tried other medications none of which weren't very much good.

In terms of weight, I always was an active character, in fitness, and still am, and thankful that the aripipazole came long, otherwise ah, I couldn't felt to counteract the stress, and voices as well, with out the mode of aerobics dvds, together with variations of dance workouts, and the voices, to keep them down and at bay. Off course, I have had my lows and very unwell problems like everyone else, I was not very much better on aripipazole, due to the fact, I had my anxious/paranoia problems up, even if the voices were down, ie, not there. Anyway, I am still very much active in fitness today, working out in the mode of aerobics, and attending zumba classes too. For my height, and I do need to have my weight kept down.

Working out tomorrow all being well, if I'm up and about earlier in enoiugh, and then I'll be all set for volunteering from 8.30 setting out, for arrival at 10am.

Natalie.

Gajolene

Gajolene

Thanks for sharing that it's something I will talk to my son JS about, as he is also packing on a lot of weight with the Olanzapines and voices are still problematic for him on his risperidone, much better but still he has bad days with it. Maybe something he can talk with his doctors about trying a switch of meds to see if it works any better. Thanks Natalie

N

natalie

Hi Gajolene,

I'm only too glad, that some of my story might be of help. Off course, it would depend, what works for some people, and what doesn't work for others, and the level of severeity or not of the mental illness. With me, I had excess help from my brother, noticing, and together with mum, to broach the p doctors, about the weight gaining issue, so I'm glad, that they noticed I was gaining weight, to be able to do something a bit more drastic, about it, ie, coming off, olanzapine, and onto something else.

Natalie.