• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

olanzapine versus quietapine opinions?

M

mazzag77

hi everyone
haven't been on here for a while so hello to everyone. after a bit of advice.
i'm currently 6 months pregnant and up till now had a very good few months
i have what my psych has described as `mild manic depression with severe bout of anxiety ' etc
i've had to stay on some meds as benefits to me outweighed risk to baby etc and all seems fine
i currently take citalopram and amitriptyline and as have gone into a manic phaze psych put me back on olanzapine
i managed to come off this prior to becoming pregnant as can slow fertility and was also increasing my weight problem
since coming off it my appetite has been much easier to control - even since pregnant .
however been back on it a week and appetitie has increased ten fold - i'm back to the late night munchies which i know were caused by the olanzapine previously
i know it's not just the pregnancy doing this - it's too much of a coincidence
i am gonna ring psych tomoz but have heard several good things about quietapine and that it's not so bad for weight gain as the olanzapine ? also i def get more aggressive on the olanzapine - even though was under impression this should calm me ?!
wondered if anyone has any experience of this and if so if quietapine is one to suggest to dr tomoz ? or any other similiar meds you've had success with?
sorry for the waffle but be interested to hear your opinions
thanks for listening :)
mary x

H

happyhappy

Founding Member
Hi there,
I don't know about the pregancy/meds and stuff but I have had both olanzapine and quetiapine. The olanzapine made me eat like nothing on earth! I was always always hungry and never felt satisfied. I am still overweight on quetiapine but that is cos I have done nothing to lose the weight. I suppose my appetite is slightly increased from pre med days but I am bigger, so it would be.
Happyhappy

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I'm on 15mg olanzapine.
I think it makes you gain weight AND it makes you more hungry aswell.
I've tried restricting my calories but still gained weight.I have one proper meal a day and also snack at night.I dont have anything for breakfast or lunch.
I've been on the olanzapine since 2007.My weight has gone up by 4 stone.I've had to buy all new clothes because nothing would fit me anymore.
Olanzapine is the weight gain drug.I'm surprised they dont give it to anorexics.
I've just come back from an anxiety group.Someone there had gained a lot of weight from olanzapine.

D

Dollit

Whenever I use olanzapine it is to deal specifically with mania. Quetiapine has always been used to treat my worst depressions. Certainly talk over medication options with your psych but ask them to define how they see the drugs working to help the elements of your bipolar disorder.

emski

emski

From my own personal experience I was first put on olanzapine - it did nothing for me apart from make me gain two stone and make me severely apathetic.

I am now on quetiapine and take it with no side effects, or weight gain, in fact I have managed to lose some of the weight I gained with olanzapine.

But, everyone is different so talk over the pros and cons with your doc.

:)

S

*Sapphire*

I'm on 15mg olanzapine.
I think it makes you gain weight AND it makes you more hungry aswell.
I've tried restricting my calories but still gained weight.I have one proper meal a day and also snack at night.I dont have anything for breakfast or lunch.
I've been on the olanzapine since 2007.My weight has gone up by 4 stone.I've had to buy all new clothes because nothing would fit me anymore.
Olanzapine is the weight gain drug.I'm surprised they dont give it to anorexics.
I've just come back from an anxiety group.Someone there had gained a lot of weight from olanzapine.
That's a very interesting point Olanza, they do actually prescribe it to anorexics! In fact when I was in hospital for anorexia and attending the day centre it seemed to be the drug of choice by the ED Psychiatrist. Almost everyone had been offered it or was taking it. Some didn't take it because they didn't really want to get better or they were scared of the weight gain side effect. I decided to take it mainly to help with my anorexic thoughts as I was in so much mental pain trying to eat whilst my every anorexic thought was telling me to do the opposite and telling me that I was going to balloon. It helped for that. However as I put weight on they increased the dose as it was having less of an effect. To my horror, when I got to a normal weight I started bingeing then because I felt so guilty would engage in compensatory behaviors which really started to impact on my health and was quite dangerous. I saw my ED Psych many times in depseration about this, had no idea why it was happening (I never binged previously) and he told me that there was no physical reason for me bingeing because my body didn't need the extra nourishment like it did when I was underweight, so it must be an emotional one. I left only to have to be admitted a year later with bulimic problems. It helped a bit, but I still couldn't stop the bingeing altogether. When I left after a short while, I immediately took myself off the Olanzapine and Lofepramine (an AD) overnight out of rebellion to my ED psych .

Anyway I know it was dangerous to do, and I don't advise anyone doing it, but apart from a little blip when I felt really depressed (but did not act on it because I knew it was prob some withdrawal effect) to my complete surprise I stopped bingeing! I did not stop taking them for that reason either. Emotional reason my a*se!

Anyway this thread is so relevant to me, because as a result of not taking the Olanzapine I am not sleeping so my new Psych has prescribed a very low dose of Quetiapin. I haven't started taking it yet because I read in the leaflet that you can put on some weight when you start taking it which would really send me in a spin and might upset my recovery. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm also unsure why he prescribed it for sleeping problems when I am not psychotic or ever had symptoms of it? I know they do prescribe it for Borderlines which I am, but only because some of the symptoms can be on the psychotic spectrum which I have never had. It's quite confusing? :confused:

BTW I am not in anyway saying to anorexics not to take Olanzapine, it did help me loads, and it may not necessarily be the case that you will start bingeing from taking it, I know some recovered anorexics that still do take it without suffering with the effects I did.

K

Kate31

olanzapine helps a lot when BMI low, but i find quetiepine has helped me momaintain recovery from depression/anorexia

W

warriorprincess

Hey mary, hope you're ok,

Glad to hear from someone in similar boat to me - I'm 23 weeks pregnant at mo tho currently med free. I was diagnosed with bipolar 4 years ago but didn't carry on with treatment then, and am in th middle of a 're' diagnosis I guess, but as I've been pregnant since they started treating me, they won't say anything solid, tho they're going with a provisional diagnosis. I was very very low at the beginning, and they did finally prescribe me a small dose of Olanzapine (was prescribed it 4 years ago too, i think 15mg a day but it didn't seem to touch me then and stopped taking after a week). I took one 2.5 mg a few weeks back but it made me feel so terrible i had a migraine after for 5 days. They did assure me that it was not known to cause headaches but i found it to much coincidence, and I've somehow got through that and feeling a bit better so I'm gonna try my hardest not to start medication while pregnant - as I've come this far without i just don't really wana start at the mo. I know the benefits would outweigh the risks if i got too extreme, but i'm just trying to hang on for now.

Just thought I'd say hi anyway, sorry my post isn't really any sort of answer for you, just thought i'd give u my background as I don't know anyone else in my situation! Congratulations on the pregnancy too btw, is this your first? this is my second and we have the same due date as our daughter 2 years ago! 27th dec.

Hope you're ok anyway, and defo call your psych and see what they say. I don't know anything about quietapine but I think I would rather that than olanzapine at the mo, from my little experience of it. let us know how you get on. Oh and a big welcome to the site too! xxx

G

grahamm

Hi everyone, I take a very low dose of quetiapine 25mg to supplement lithium for bipolar. Excellent sleeping aid, though I hear resistence can be a problem. It is an antipsychotic but at high doses. I havent had much trouble with sedation but probably cause dose is low. No sign of any weight gain. Has allowed me to reduce lithium dose and retain benefits. been on it one month.

V

vegimental

i was on olanzapine and got changed to quitiapine. it was the worst time. i lost weight which was a good thing but i felt sick all the time, i couldnt concentrate, i was really ill. i got swoitched back double dose to olanzapine. i dont think i will ever be able to come off olanzapine it always ends in a mess when iu try. i was told that it is a 50 / 50 thing with quitapine it is either amazing or does not work

Madman

Madman

I was on Olanzapine for sometime, it didn't help at all - just made me put on a hell of a lot of weight. They kept on increasing the dosage to'get it right', but it was never going to get right!

Eventually they slowly brought me off Olanzapine and onto Quetiapine, of which I am now on a fairly high dose. It doesn't take away, or even reduce any of my main symptoms, but it does make me very weary - not so much sleepy, but very very tired. They work more like a tranquilizer on me more than anything and do at least help me to cope when I am at my worst - also, they don't increase my weight, which is good as I need to lose some!

B

bexley5200

ive been on lithium 1200mg for 12 years and olanapine 10mg ans just started deprocote 1000mg and have been putting on weight im always hungary curently about 16st 5ft 8 male i also am tyred most of the day

S

sheep

Im not sure this question should be here?

I would like/need to come off Diazapam (as it now causes the anxiety it was meant to help). A walk in Park helps far more. Would Seroquel be a swap to come off diazapam and Zyprexa? Long term Id like to imagine being meds free but that is a LONG way own the track.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Sheep:confused::confused:

Fluffymum

Fluffymum

Olanzipine was one I took because it's safe when breastfeeding, it made me starving and all I could think about was food, I gained some weight and I was on a low dose but I am very sensitive.
I tried seroquel and can't remember taking it, I felt very agitated and angry on it but that was the 2nd day of trying it, I want to go back on it with an anti d so I'm willing to try it again.
Good luck and congrats on the pregnancy x