• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Olanzapine - Medical Cosh?

Sally Cinamon

Sally Cinamon

Has anyone else had a bad Olanzapine experience?..I know I have!

I know very little about this drug & am still seething about being prescribed it.

I am sure it tipped me into 9 months of hellish depression, having previously been perfectly happy & stable on Sodium Valporate (Epilim Chrono 800mg)for seven wonderfull years.

Your experinces will be gratefully recieved, so I can either put my rage to bed or feel justified about being enraged!

Thanks to you all for taking the time,
Sally Cinamon (AKA Happy Sally....finally once again!):flowers:

jax

jax

The only bad experience I had with olanzapine was weight gain. I put on about 2 stone on it. I refuse to go back on it after that.
Jacqui

M

mad as a hatter

i was on olanzipine for a while but i couldn,t stay awake all day even on the smallest of doses but i felt it did work so i was disappointed i had 2 come off it at the time i can,t remember it making me depressed tho but we r all different

falling_Free

falling_Free

First AP I got put on, didn't like it, mainly because it made me very tired and the weight gain was immense.

S

suzy

It shouldn't make you depressed it is an anti psychotic and given to people to reduce anxiety

Why are you angry? It should help you I've been on it for a long time, reducing down to now just 2.5mg as I'm told it will take the edge of things, then I can come off it completely when I feel ready to do so myself. I did put on weight but only one stone which I have lost easily. It just seemed to drop off as the dosage was reduced over the year

Last edited:
A

antipsionic

I've been on a whacking dose of Olanzapene, well above the manufacturers recomended maximum dosage, it didn't touch my psychosis and just seemed to knock me out for about fourteen or fifteen hours a day, why some meds seem to work on some people and not work on others with a similar diagnosis seems to show to me that the shrinks and scientists have very little insight into the true nature of mental illness and have a broad set of criteria for what are probably a widely differing range of problems. In truth we don't fit into neat little boxes.

S

suzy

I've been on a whacking dose of Olanzapene, well above the manufacturers recomended maximum dosage, it didn't touch my psychosis and just seemed to knock me out for about fourteen or fifteen hours a day, why some meds seem to work on some people and not work on others with a similar diagnosis seems to show to me that the shrinks and scientists have very little insight into the true nature of mental illness and have a broad set of criteria for what are probably a widely differing range of problems. In truth we don't fit into neat little boxes.
what dose was this?

I was on 20mg, the max, may have been higher before that I don't know

Sally Cinamon

Sally Cinamon

Olanzapine

i was on olanzipine for a while but i couldn,t stay awake all day even on the smallest of doses but i felt it did work so i was disappointed i had 2 come off it at the time i can,t remember it making me depressed tho but we r all different
Hi M.A.A.H.,

Thanks for your reply. Yes is so true that we are all different. Different med's suit different people; I too found O' very difficult to keep awake, falling asleep at he drop of a hat. Can I ask in which way it worked or you i.e did it help with mania or depression or just as a good stabiliser? I would like to know as I don't want to write it off by blaming it on a depression that may have been in on the horizon with or without Olanzapine.

Thanks S.

Sally Cinamon

Sally Cinamon

It shouldn't make you depressed it is an anti psychotic and given to people to reduce anxiety

Why are you angry? It should help you I've been on it for a long time, reducing down to now just 2.5mg as I'm told it will take the edge of things, then I can come off it completely when I feel ready to do so myself. I did put on weight but only one stone which I have lost easily. It just seemed to drop off as the dosage was reduced over the year
Hi Suzy, I know what an antipsychotic is, have been given 'nuff of of them in my time!
An Antipsychotic in it's nature will calm/bring you down in it's mission to ease anxiety.The problem lies with the delicate balance of medication in accordance with bipolar disorder & getting the right balance.
I was in a state of anxiety, not mania when I was prescribed O'. I was not so high that I needed to be brought down as a matter of urgency to prevent a full on hypo-mainic epidsode. This is why I feel angry because following being prescribed and taking O' I spent 9 months wanting to end my life :(:mad:.:hug: