OK, Is This A Good OCD Rule of Thumb? Do I Have This Right?

N

NorasDad

If I feel have to do it right away (like post this) then it's a compulsion. If it can wait till later, it's probably just a normal thing to do. Does that sound right?

S

Skynet

Yeah. In my experience, doing the compulsion usually makes you feel guilty of wasting time as well. Although it provides temporary relief, it also feels miserable on some level.

N

NorasDad

Yeah. In my experience, doing the compulsion usually makes you feel guilty of wasting time as well. Although it provides temporary relief, it also feels miserable on some level.
But how do you distinguish between compulsions and just impulses or just a rational feeling you should do something?

R_Sxo

R_Sxo

It might be better to think about what happens if you don't do it. If you feel compelled to do something but don't do it, does it stop you from doing anything else? Does it override your thoughts? Or can you get on with life as usual?x

S

Skynet

But how do you distinguish between compulsions and just impulses or just a rational feeling you should do something?
An example of an impulse would be a desire to eat ice-cream. A desire to mow the lawn is a rational feeling. Note that both of these have value of their own, I.e. they are good for you on some level. However, in my experience, a compulsion is an absolute waste of time.

N

NorasDad

Ok, these are GREAT thoughts.

Jesus, I feel like I don't know anything.

TroubleinParadise

TroubleinParadise

It's the nature of the thought that we need to consider. Attach it to the obsession and compulsion criteria and compare. If you find yourself obsessing over whether it's an obsession - maybe it's OCD?