• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Oikophobia?

AlwaysinCrown

AlwaysinCrown

When I was younger I was very passionate about my country's history and culture at all. Then when I was watching more and more news channels, read more weekly magazines, watch more movies and documents and see how political discussion look like I treat just my country and language as one of other existing in the world. I think patriotism is the same as being far right. I often criticize popular historical figures. As I write about travels in Poland I feel really bad but while I think/write about other countries, listen to non-Polish music, I feel very happy, relaxed. Of course I listen to some Polish music but I treat it as a music in one of world's languages. I think other countries are much better than mine.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
The Polish, historically, from an English POV were to be looked up to due to the strength they showed during WW2. From my schooling and upbringing, they were special people.

Then we noticed many people were coming here to work. Economic migration is fine, the Irish did the same, people from many other countries came here for work too. The problem was the documentries showing the polish on government handouts, drinking alcohol in the park, spitting, fighting the police and so on. We have enough English louts of our own, i think people here thought. There were documentries showing the polish here in our prisons too and talking about the cost to us for locking them up.

Then brexit came

I'm not wanting to talk about Brexit but about the people that live near me who are Polish, considerate, respectful, keep music low, are formal and good people.

I have worked with the poles too. All very nice people, as are many English.

Religious too. Catholic.

A friend who is Polish told me that a few years ago, possibly 2005 approximately, there was a plane crash where many of the brightest and brainiest Polish were killed. They were all on one aeroplane. Do you remember that?

I grew up not liking being English because i lived in a town where there were many violent fights on football match days, wearing the England flag on clothing etc. Urinating up trees, punching anything, vomiting. It made me ashamed to be English.

Also, lots of people going over to Spain and drinking to excess, having sex in the streets outside bars. It is shameful to me.

I now know that is a minority. I am proud to be English. Cricket, pimms, country fayres, the May Pole, country dancing, farming, cider, pub gardens serving a ploughmans salad, people with a glass of shandy. The Victoria Sponge, the Queen.

Maybe it is normal, what we feel.

AlwaysinCrown

AlwaysinCrown

Eh, this plane crash was in 2010, not in 2005.

S

Scapes1986

By plane crash you mean break down? Wrecked house after I lost my guitar. Like really?