• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Oh manic, manic, manic...

Ruma55

Ruma55

So I’ve been slowly devolving into a manic state over the last few days. I quit taking my Abilify because I can’t afford it right now. Last time I quit taking it I had a severe manic episode within three weeks. So here I am again. I’m moving past the fun happy productive mania into the loud, talking to myself, irritable mania. I don’t want to tell my doctor because I just really don’t want to, I don’t want her to mess with my meds. I’ve slept maybe 3 hours in the last 3 days, tonight I’ve taken 3 30mg Restorils and I’m still fidgeting, grinding my teeth, and staring at the ceiling. And itching! I’ve never been so itchy all over my body before it’s very annoying. Has anyone else found themselves constantly scratching during a manic episode? That’s a new symptom for me. Anyways there’s not much point to this post, just restless and reaching out. I know every comment is going to tell me to seek help immediately, I know I should so I’ll think about it.

UpnDwn1978

UpnDwn1978

Forum Guide
I'm type 2 so I don't really get full blown mania but I do get itchy when I'm hypo sometimes, although it may be due to my anxieties. It sucks that you can't afford your meds, it's happened to me a couple of times and it's insufferable, I get mixed episodes and rapid cycling, feel nauseous and generally just terrible. I hope you get better soon. Take care and best wishes.

M

Bipolarbear808

Bipolarbear808

Really sorry you're going through such a ruff time and hope you feel better soon!!!

HLon99

HLon99

The scratching might be a symptom of abilify withdrawal. Aripiprazole is a mild antihistamine, so when you withdraw, theoretically your histamine levels will shoot up and cause itching, similar to a mosquito bite.

You should really go see a doctor. Even if you think they might mess with your meds, its worth keeping them in the loop. I know its tough in the US with med prices, but is there no one who could give/lend you a little money right now, until you get back up on your feet. Maybe you could turn to your parents?

T

timing

I can identify not being able to afford meds. I once asked a doc to give me the cheapest meds on the market which turned into a disaster.
Another possibility your doctor can ask for samples from the company. Finally, in some states the local health department can be a resource available to you. This varies considerably from state to state as in, PA has never heard of it but NC health department has a full time staff to get meds from every drug company.
I hope one of these can work for you.

Zero One

Zero One

I had a lot of itching during a psychotic episode but I don't remember enough to quantify whether or not I was manic.

Ruma55

Ruma55

After about 4 days not being able to sleep I finally got 3 hours last night and I feel a little better. When I’m manic and go without sleep like that I get a sore throat so bad I can barely swallow and my sinuses and ears start to hurt really bad. Miserable! My skin is all raw from scratching and I’m pretty sure I’m going to fail my class now after last week (I’m working on a masters degree). I didn’t do any of my homework last week and got a 50% on a test I took last night. I hate bipolar disorder! Thank you for letting me vent lol.

Ruma55

Ruma55

I can identify not being able to afford meds. I once asked a doc to give me the cheapest meds on the market which turned into a disaster.
Another possibility your doctor can ask for samples from the company. Finally, in some states the local health department can be a resource available to you. This varies considerably from state to state as in, PA has never heard of it but NC health department has a full time staff to get meds from every drug company.
I hope one of these can work for you.
That’s really good advice I have to look into some of those type of programs. I don’t usually qualify for stuff like that because I have health insurance but my copays are still really high. I don’t understand why going off abilify makes me manic every time it’s not a mood stabilizer is it?

Ruma55

Ruma55

The scratching might be a symptom of abilify withdrawal. Aripiprazole is a mild antihistamine, so when you withdraw, theoretically your histamine levels will shoot up and cause itching, similar to a mosquito bite.

You should really go see a doctor. Even if you think they might mess with your meds, its worth keeping them in the loop. I know its tough in the US with med prices, but is there no one who could give/lend you a little money right now, until you get back up on your feet. Maybe you could turn to your parents?
It never even occurred to me that it could be withdrawals from the Abilify that’s a great point. I don’t really have any one I can borrow from, my parents wouldn’t buy me a bottle of water I if I was dying of dehydration... They spent all their money on their new corvette lol.

Ruma55

Ruma55

I'm type 2 so I don't really get full blown mania but I do get itchy when I'm hypo sometimes, although it may be due to my anxieties. It sucks that you can't afford your meds, it's happened to me a couple of times and it's insufferable, I get mixed episodes and rapid cycling, feel nauseous and generally just terrible. I hope you get better soon. Take care and best wishes.

M
It’s always really awesome for the first few days, then it turns nightmarish.

HLon99

HLon99

It never even occurred to me that it could be withdrawals from the Abilify that’s a great point. I don’t really have any one I can borrow from, my parents wouldn’t buy me a bottle of water I if I was dying of dehydration... They spent all their money on their new corvette lol.
Ouch, sorry to hear that. Could you possibly request the generic. I know some people get hella fussy about brand name drugs, but its literally the same chemical. Here in the UK, we don't even get Abilify, we only get the generic Aripiprazole and it works just fine.

Ruma55

Ruma55

Ouch, sorry to hear that. Could you possibly request the generic. I know some people get hella fussy about brand name drugs, but its literally the same chemical. Here in the UK, we don't even get Abilify, we only get the generic Aripiprazole and it works just fine.
It is for aripiprazole. The US healthcare system is so screwed up. I work for a pretty big company and still pay about $700/mo. for health insurance. Despite this my med copays are still hundreds of dollars. I went to the emergency room a few months ago and got a $1200 bill and was informed that my insurance wouldn’t pay anything because I haven’t met my yearly deductible. What the hell am I paying $700/mo for, you know?

HLon99

HLon99

It is for aripiprazole. The US healthcare system is so screwed up. I work for a pretty big company and still pay about $700/mo. for health insurance. Despite this my med copays are still hundreds of dollars. I went to the emergency room a few months ago and got a $1200 bill and was informed that my insurance wouldn’t pay anything because I haven’t met my yearly deductible. What the hell am I paying $700/mo for, you know?
Jeez yeah, I feel for you for having to put up with that system. Here in the UK, the NHS is far from perfect, in fact in recent years its been badly underfunded and poorly staffed but at least we still have it as a safety net for people who have no where else to go. Here prescriptions are subsidised at a standard flat rate of £9 ($12) per prescription or free for people on low income, children and army pensions. I do have private insurance policy as well, which I have been on a for 3 years in which time I have dropped nearly 5 grand and made a grand total of zero claims. Just recently, I tried to make a claim for psychotherapy but got denied because of a stupid rule they have. I'm debating whether to renew it for next year. Really the only reason to have insurance is if something bad were to happen. Its such a scam.

HLon99

HLon99

Are you still taking your Adderral? If so flush it. Taking ADHD medication that isn't properly balanced by a mood stabiliser has the potential to induce/worsen manic states in bipolar patients.

Ruma55

Ruma55

Jeez yeah, I feel for you for having to put up with that system. Here in the UK, the NHS is far from perfect, in fact in recent years its been badly underfunded and poorly staffed but at least we still have it as a safety net for people who have no where else to go. Here prescriptions are subsidised at a standard flat rate of £9 ($12) per prescription or free for people on low income, children and army pensions. I do have private insurance policy as well, which I have been on a for 3 years in which time I have dropped nearly 5 grand and made a grand total of zero claims. Just recently, I tried to make a claim for psychotherapy but got denied because of a stupid rule they have. I'm debating whether to renew it for next year. Really the only reason to have insurance is if something bad were to happen. Its such a scam.
That’s really interesting- here whenever people talk about universal healthcare, people freak out and say it’s going to be understaffed and underfunded. Insurance is a total scam. The only reason I have it is because without it aripriprazole is like $900 for a 1 month supply. I’m on an anti-depressant that costs like $1200/mo with no insurance. It’s crazy!