• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Often called a daydreamer ?

N

Noel-Is-God

I'm not sure whether this will be linked solely to my anxiety but I've been often called a daydreamer by others. Its quite frustrating as at times I don't think I realise I drift away from reality. Any others experience this often ? Hate it when people make negative comments like this. I've been called this a few times now and it angers me.

BillFish

BillFish

I'm not sure whether this will be linked solely to my anxiety but I've been often called a daydreamer by others. Its quite frustrating as at times I don't think I realise I drift away from reality. Any others experience this often ? Hate it when people make negative comments like this. I've been called this a few times now and it angers me.
Daydreamers are often very creative people, do you have a creative talent? If not find it:peace:

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Yes. I'm often daydreaming, my daydream world is very full! For me it's an escape, and it also helps me process things sometimes.

I agree with BillFish, that actually it can be sign of creativity and could be channelled artistically.

However, I wonder if you feel it's just daydreaming or whether it's something else?
Sometimes it can seem like i'm daydreaming, but i'm actually zoning out. I won't say I get to a full on dissociative state, but I come very close to it. This usually happens when i'm going through a bad time, and i'm finding being fully present too difficult and painful.

Suppose what i'm asking is whether or not you think there's something more going on than just your average daydream?

R

Rose19602

I don't think it's an insult. I think there's something rather lovely about day-dreaming.

We all drift off into another world and switch off from time to time. I used to do it all the time in boring lessons at school and still switch off into my own little world on a regular basis. It's rather nice actually.

I agree with SS though....dissociating is different to day dreaming. If you're unable to manage things and switch off to avoid the stress....maybe it's a coping mechanism rather than a harmless bit of escapism.

Maybe you need to be honest with yourself when answering SS's question.

...but if it is day dreaming....enjoy!

L

lovagemuffin

yeah I was always staring out of a window at school it can be a sign of learning difficulties I have ADD and I still cant concentrate unless I find it really interesting.

N

Noel-Is-God

Thanks for your responses agree with you all on this one I think this could be why I day dream often. I see why it can be a positive too now. I do have quite a creative personality. I can see where your coming from too with the zoning out rather than it just being day dreaming. A certainly have days were I would zone out particularly when in social situations and around people who I'm not familiar with. I think it could be a way of coping as I find it difficult to interact with others.

Last edited:
R

Rose19602

That's good that you've worked out what's going on Noel.
You sound OK to me xxx

S

shrinkingviolet218

I recently got diagnosed with something called maladaptive daydreaming. Its kind of when you're addicted to daydreaming and fantasies and it sort of takes over your life. I'm not saying you have it but its worth researching it a bit.