• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Offensive

S

ShanYin

I was prescribed anti-psychotics at around age 16-17.

To date, I have been hospitalized around a dozen times. It is usually my parents going to the Justice Of The Peace to have me hospitalized. I was eventually placed on a community treatment order.

I find it highly offensive that these people are claiming and telling to me I have a brain illness. I do not hallucinate or hear voices.

The anger it is creating me is building up it seems everyday. I have been insulted numerous times by mental health 'proffessionals'. I am 24 and don't want to put up with it anymore.

katya

katya

I'm sorry you're going through this. It must be really frustrating when everyone's saying you've got something you don't think you have. Is there any way you could get a second opinion from another doctor?

calypso

calypso

Admin
Have you tried the Advocacy Group which is attached to most MH hospitals and other things. They might be able to help??? I don't know.

May I ask what they say is the reason for their thinking?

D

Dissatisfied

To date, I have been hospitalized around a dozen times. It is usually my parents going to the Justice Of The Peace to have me hospitalized. I was eventually placed on a community treatment order.

I find it highly offensive that these people are claiming and telling to me I have a brain illness. I do not hallucinate or hear voices.

The anger it is creating me is building up it seems everyday. I have been insulted numerous times by mental health 'proffessionals'. I am 24 and don't want to put up with it anymore.
It is offensive I completely agree, for me I see it as a human experience and it is up to us, the one's experiencing that should be allowed to describe it the way it resonates with us, for some it is a spiritual moment, others insight, others traumatic, others alternative reality and so on, the list is endless. There is a growing community of people across the world that see it as a human experience and are fighting to get the language changed, it is slowly filtering in through training for nurses and doctors.

I was lucky that my psychiatrist doesn't buy into the medical model, she doesn't actually believe in medication, she always talked me out of it when I demanded them, not completely talked me out of it, but gave me other options, and I'd always change my mind in the end. Then a friend of mine, who was a research assistant worked alongside her for a while, and my psychiatrist would always be the one to suggest that for some people they would be better off without meds.

I got very lucky, but unfortunately not everyone has this experience.

S

ShanYin

I went to two people in Toronto. One said in his opinion whatever I'm going through is probably drug induced. (as I am a recreational drug user). The other person disagreed with anti-psychotics and asked me what the problem was cynically.

#2 I asked my psychiatrist "why do you think I have a mental illlness?" and he said "we have years of evidence" or something like that.

I am so angry. I was recently badly beaten by police officers. Everyone just blames it on mental illness but the police just got out of their cars and randomly beat me up and put me in jail for the night.

Last edited:
U

urbangibbon

People are diagnosed with all sorts of so-called "mental illnesses", etc. If I am diagnosed with cancer or flu then it is a real physical disorder with active agents and causation and it is easy to accept that because it is materially real. But I don't think "mental illness" falls into the same category. If you are actually suffering because of your state of mind, then maybe it is a good idea to seek help. [we are all suffering because of our states of mind!] But if you can handle this state of mind, feel OK and you are not endangering yourself and others, that is, if you can live with it, and are "OK" with it then surely that is a different matter altogether. I am a depressive and suffer anxiety. My physician has prescribed anti-depressants but I don't take them because I do not agree with the medical model of so-called "mental illness". In ancient societies - such as the indigenous tribes of America, etc - people who hallucinated and made predictions were considered to be holy and shamans. Today, we medicate and lock up. But "Madness" and dreams can involve moments of profound insight into the world around us. It is a "mad" world and abusive society. We are its individual creations. What is sane about mass killing of people in wars or the slaughter of millions of animals every day for food. If that is "sanity", then I am "insane".

O

one-less

I went to two people in Toronto. One said in his opinion whatever I'm going through is probably drug induced. (as I am a recreational drug user). The other person disagreed with anti-psychotics and asked me what the problem was cynically.

#2 I asked my psychiatrist "why do you think I have a mental illlness?" and he said "we have years of evidence" or something like that.

I am so angry. I was recently badly beaten by police officers. Everyone just blames it on mental illness but the police just got out of their cars and randomly beat me up and put me in jail for the night.
Is there an organization you can search for to help you out? Nothing you have posted here sounds right at all. Any professional who wrongly gives you labels is unethical and should not have their job.

G

glimmerofhope

ShanYin I actually live fairly close to you. Have you checked 211 for resources?

S

ShanYin

I don't know what their reason for thinking this is. But I am so deeply offended it's making me suicidal.

L

llama_sama

Just because you don't hallucinate or hear voices doesn't mean you can't have a mental illness. You DO realize that, don't you? There's a plethora of mental disorders that don't include visual or aural hallucinations, and the fact that this information was just a google search away shows just how delusional you are. Seriously. Anti-psychotics are used in the treatments of schizophrenia and those kinds of mental illnesses sure. But, they're also used in the cases of anger issues, which judging from how you constructed this, you might just have. You clearly have internet, there's this website where you can learn lots of valuable information, and it's:
Google

A

arwilliams

approved

antipychotics are only fda(or whatever australias) approved for bipolar and schizophrenia.

Off label is highly discouraged although occasionally done.