• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

ocd?

L

loaaol

:(:(I'm not sure if i have ocd. Just lately iv'e had alot of people commenting on my habits, mainly eating habits.
I can't eat my food if it's touching a differnt food, well i can but i feel really guilty and like a massive faluire, which i know isn't right. Also i only like to eat foods if i can see exactly whats in them, so mainly things in packets which i can look at the ingredients and the fat content and stuff.
i do have other habits but they don't effect me as much as this one does.
I can't really go out for meals, and hate eating infront of other people, which is causing problems with family and boyfriend, Don;t know what i'm ment to do :( x

A

Ainsworth

your the same as me

i think your fine :D

no sorry i get it, it also causes huge problems for me and everyone around me

Banjo Luke

Banjo Luke

Hi Loaaol :)

Welcome to the forum!

I can't give you a definite diagnosis but from what you've described, it sounds to me as if you do have OCD. You admit it is irrational to feel guilty for eating food that has touched another food. It is a classic symptom of OCD that the rational side of your brain recognises it is perfectly OK for one food to touch another but that the emotional part of your brain feels anxious about it. Naturally this mental contradiction feels bewildering, and I fully understand you feel self-conscious and embarrassed when eating in front of other people.

One way of dealing with this is called ERP (Exposure and Response Prevention). It involves repeatedly confronting your fear rather than avoiding it, and then staying in the frightening situation until your anxiety subsides. You would have to eat some food that has touched another food and then try to live with the resulting horrible feelings without trying to lessen them in any way. It will make you very anxious in the short-term but most people find it will knock the problem on the head in the long-term so that you will be able to eat a plate of mixed-up food without feeling any anxiety.
http://www.ehow.com/how_2228424_treat-obsessive-compulsive-disorder-erp.html

Does this sound too difficult? Then you could build up to it slowly rather than dive in the deep end. Start by eating just one crumb of food that has touched another food. After you have trained your brain to cope with doing that, then gradually increase the size of the crumb into a teaspoonful, then into a desert spoonful, then several mouthfuls, until eventually you've overcome the whole phobia. It is easier to tackle it in little steps like this.

I really wish you success in overcoming this problem, Loaaol. I have OCD and I know what suffering it can cause and how it interferes with your social life.

All the best to you,
Luke

S

Sarey

If it concerns you, then see a professional.