• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

ocd?

L

loaaol

:(:(I'm not sure if i have ocd. Just lately iv'e had alot of people commenting on my habits, mainly eating habits.
I can't eat my food if it's touching a differnt food, well i can but i feel really guilty and like a massive faluire, which i know isn't right. Also i only like to eat foods if i can see exactly whats in them, so mainly things in packets which i can look at the ingredients and the fat content and stuff.
i do have other habits but they don't effect me as much as this one does.
I can't really go out for meals, and hate eating infront of other people, which is causing problems with family and boyfriend, Don;t know what i'm ment to do :( x

A

Ainsworth

your the same as me

i think your fine :D

no sorry i get it, it also causes huge problems for me and everyone around me

Banjo Luke

Banjo Luke

Hi Loaaol :)

Welcome to the forum!

I can't give you a definite diagnosis but from what you've described, it sounds to me as if you do have OCD. You admit it is irrational to feel guilty for eating food that has touched another food. It is a classic symptom of OCD that the rational side of your brain recognises it is perfectly OK for one food to touch another but that the emotional part of your brain feels anxious about it. Naturally this mental contradiction feels bewildering, and I fully understand you feel self-conscious and embarrassed when eating in front of other people.

One way of dealing with this is called ERP (Exposure and Response Prevention). It involves repeatedly confronting your fear rather than avoiding it, and then staying in the frightening situation until your anxiety subsides. You would have to eat some food that has touched another food and then try to live with the resulting horrible feelings without trying to lessen them in any way. It will make you very anxious in the short-term but most people find it will knock the problem on the head in the long-term so that you will be able to eat a plate of mixed-up food without feeling any anxiety.
http://www.ehow.com/how_2228424_treat-obsessive-compulsive-disorder-erp.html

Does this sound too difficult? Then you could build up to it slowly rather than dive in the deep end. Start by eating just one crumb of food that has touched another food. After you have trained your brain to cope with doing that, then gradually increase the size of the crumb into a teaspoonful, then into a desert spoonful, then several mouthfuls, until eventually you've overcome the whole phobia. It is easier to tackle it in little steps like this.

I really wish you success in overcoming this problem, Loaaol. I have OCD and I know what suffering it can cause and how it interferes with your social life.

All the best to you,
Luke

S

Sarey

If it concerns you, then see a professional.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
T What happened (harm OCD story) Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 0
P My OCD Experience Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 0
N Stressed harm OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
M Do I Have OCD or Just Overthinking? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
A Religious OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
G My OCD cured perfectly Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
dontknowwhattodowithoutyou I am the worst person ever. real event ocd TW sexual Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
JAYBOY100 Never felt like this before OCD intrusive thoughts? 😔 Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 6
A I am afraid I will lose someone due to OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 7
J OCD/Intrusive thoughts Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
O Ocd thoughts Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 7
stevie_sloth How do I know if it's GAD or OCD? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 17
B OCD? Sexual/violent/intrusive thoughts. Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 8
O Ocd and mistaking feelings Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
O Ocd wierd dream Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
P OCD or psychosis? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
P OCD and loneliness Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 5
R Ocd Like Symptoms Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
A religious ocd Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
B Tips for living with OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
S Is this OCD? I ruined my teeth Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
J OCD about self doubt Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 5
D Ocd or Asperger/autism? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 24
J Harm OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
R is this h-ocd or denial?? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
P OCD intrusive thoughts Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
D Any advise how to calm my ocd? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
J I fear consumption of my ocd Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 6
R scared about my OCD intrusive thoughts consisting of my boyfriend Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
G Is my OCD impossible? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
K Life After OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
N OCD is destroyingmy life Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
D Strange ocd theme! Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 23
P OCD and anxiety over blood borne viruses Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
C Do you think I'm Ocd? HELP! Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
C I'm going crazy.. Help Me! (Ocd) Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 9
G New treatment for OCD - brain pulses Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
S Ocd back Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
E OCD (fear of being poisoned) Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
J Methods to beat OCD effectively Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 6
R Horror ocd pure Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
K Beating OCD, Intrusive Thoughts, PURE-O and everything in between Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
stevie_sloth Tourettic OCD anyond? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
J Scared about my OCD symptoms. Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 8
D Heart palpitations and ocd Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 9
T Am I having OCD? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
J Worsening of ocd 'pure o' Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 12
R just realised how serious my OCD is, after going too far ... Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
K I think I have OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
G Please help. Ocd COVID disaster :( Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1