• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

OCD voice

L

L1F3SUCK5

I don’t know if anyone else experiences this but I’ve had OCD since I was 13 and many times since being diagnosed I’ve had health professionals say that the OCD voice in my head isn’t a voice but is my thoughts. This annoys me as I know they aren’t thoughts because why would I think things like that. I still continue to tell them that it’s a voice in my head as that is what I believe. Does anyone else get the OCD voice? And if so has anyone else experienced the same thing?

H

Headingtothelight

i used to look at the clouds and need to blink 20 times or it would rain or when i drink juice i need to count my gulps

K

Keesha

Yes. I’ve not been officially diagnosed but I have obsessive/ compulsive thoughts however they are my thoughts. Once a thought comes up that I bothers me a lot I have a habit of replaying the thought over & over again. It’s like if I think about it enough times, I’ll be able to fix it but I merely complicate the heck out of it and make it worse.

Oddly though I don’t have any obsessive compulsive behaviours. A friend of mine had a father with OCD who would constantly check to make sure the taps were turned off, constantly check to make sure the door was locked.

Maybe what I have isn’t OCD but I certainly obsess about thoughts or if somethings not quite right. It’s really annoying to myself and others but it is what it is.

Good luck in your journey

dontknowwhattodowithoutyou

We all sometimes think things that are weird and we don't identify with. Then, I am sometimes thinking oh wow, where is that coming from? But I still know these thoughts are my own. No one planted them in my head or something like that.

Do you have the impression that is a suitable description for you? Or do you hear an actual voice, as though a friend is talking to you?

L

L1F3SUCK5

i used to look at the clouds and need to blink 20 times or it would rain or when i drink juice i need to count my gulps
Yeah I hate OCD, mine will tell me if I don’t check the doors or do my routines properly then my family will die, it can be very distressing

L

L1F3SUCK5

Yes. I’ve not been officially diagnosed but I have obsessive/ compulsive thoughts however they are my thoughts. Once a thought comes up that I bothers me a lot I have a habit of replaying the thought over & over again. It’s like if I think about it enough times, I’ll be able to fix it but I merely complicate the heck out of it and make it worse.

Oddly though I don’t have any obsessive compulsive behaviours. A friend of mine had a father with OCD who would constantly check to make sure the taps were turned off, constantly check to make sure the door was locked.

Maybe what I have isn’t OCD but I certainly obsess about thoughts or if somethings not quite right. It’s really annoying to myself and others but it is what it is.

Good luck in your journey
I would imagine it wouldn’t matter because OCD is kind of the thoughts/voices that trigger the behaviours. I hope you can get a diagnosis or figure out what it is soon so you can receive the right help. I think my OCD is definitely similar to your friends dads’ as mine is to do with checking ( I also have specific routines I have to do which are to do with brushing my teeth and washing my hands and then really illogical things such as swinging my arm round in a figure of eight to make sure no one is in my bath or shower) and it’s also quite constant as the voice never really goes away.
Good luck to you too x

L

L1F3SUCK5

We all sometimes think things that are weird and we don't identify with. Then, I am sometimes thinking oh wow, where is that coming from? But I still know these thoughts are my own. No one planted them in my head or something like that.

Do you have the impression that is a suitable description for you? Or do you hear an actual voice, as though a friend is talking to you?
Thank you for your reply. No, I find it hard to identify them as thoughts because I’m like why would I think things like that? I do hear a voice in my head, I have the OCD one and then also my eating disorder one. I know they’re within my head and not out of head voices. I have been told by my psychiatrist that the reason I might hear them as voices is because the level of distress I’m in at the moment is high, so maybe that’s why but I’m not sure as it’s been like this for 6 and a half years.

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
My own personal belief from hearing a voice for over four and a half years is that every person has another consciousness living within them, we're like the driver of the body and we also have this passenger mind that can put thoughts, ideas and impulses into our mind to get us to do what they want.

A book I read claims that a group of neurologists discovered this in the 1960's, their experiments led them to believe our consciousness occupies the left hemisphere of the brain and this second consciousness occupies the right.

This is where I believe a lot of mental disorders come from, a bad passenger who abuse their connection to our minds.

Yes, I agree. Sometimes it definitely feels like a second brain that is throwing all these terrible thoughts at us!
I have the same with anxiety - a rational mind, and an irrational mind. It is super annoying :(

But it gets better!

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
Yes, I agree. Sometimes it definitely feels like a second brain that is throwing all these terrible thoughts at us!
I have the same with anxiety - a rational mind, and an irrational mind. It is super annoying :(
My theory is when we're very young these other minds have a great deal of control over us, we react to every impulse we get but as we get older and gain a sense of self and build up our own personalities our passenger mind has less and less influence over us.

In many stories I read here on the forums I see a hidden passenger behind most mental 'disorders', it tells me a lot of these passengers can be self destructive, violent towards others and full of resentment for us for being the driver of the body. I know mine is still like a child and has nothing but contempt for me.

I believe once you become aware of them you can start to examine all of your thoughts, ideas and impulses and figure out which belong to you and which belong to your passenger, a lot of people recognise them as intrusive but still don't know the source.

N

Nate

I don’t know if anyone else experiences this but I’ve had OCD since I was 13 and many times since being diagnosed I’ve had health professionals say that the OCD voice in my head isn’t a voice but is my thoughts. This annoys me as I know they aren’t thoughts because why would I think things like that. I still continue to tell them that it’s a voice in my head as that is what I believe. Does anyone else get the OCD voice? And if so has anyone else experienced the same thing?
I had time's when my OCD would tell me that I was going to die. I also couldn't touch anybody who was weak physically because I thought that I would become weak myself. And yes they were more than just thoughts.

L

L1F3SUCK5

My own personal belief from hearing a voice for over four and a half years is that every person has another consciousness living within them, we're like the driver of the body and we also have this passenger mind that can put thoughts, ideas and impulses into our mind to get us to do what they want.

A book I read claims that a group of neurologists discovered this in the 1960's, their experiments led them to believe our consciousness occupies the left hemisphere of the brain and this second consciousness occupies the right.

This is where I believe a lot of mental disorders come from, a bad passenger who abuse their connection to our minds.
That’s really interesting. Well the bad passenger sure as heck sucks.

L

L1F3SUCK5

I had time's when my OCD would tell me that I was going to die. I also couldn't touch anybody who was weak physically because I thought that I would become weak myself. And yes they were more than just thoughts.
Thank you so much for your reply! It’s so good to find someone who experiences it a similar way that I do. I honestly can’t count the amount of times I’ve had to tell people that the voice inside my head is not my thoughts. It can be so random, but also so realistic at the same time. Mine seems to focus around my family, it’ll say things like “if you don’t check the doors are locked 4 times (twice then another two times) then your family will die” things like that, so I can definitely empathise.

L

Listerbug85

I'm newly diagnosed with OCD in my early thirties but have had a voice in my head that didn't feel like my own for as long as I can remember. I didn't realise that not everyone had these voices and I didn't kick up a fuss although I did suffer from spells of depression while growing up because I was struggling. My school reports just said I was a perfectionist and shy.

My OCD voice tells me that I will get sick and die if I don't perform certain behaviours. That's been particularly bad in these pandemic times and even when restrictions have been lifted in my area I've found it difficult to go and meet other people for fear that they're contaminated.

I also get it a lot at work telling me that I'll lose my job and my family will end up on the streets if I don't keep checking my work for mistakes, if emails aren't worded perfectly and if I get any criticism at all. It can become pretty difficult to keep up with my workload when I spend so much time checking and its a bit of a horrible vicious circle because I hear the voice even more when I'm stressed.

I also have had the voice telling me that my baby, now ten months, is sick and will die unless I check her temperature once an hour or stay awake to check that she is still breathing while she's asleep. It can be pretty distressing.

I had CBT recently and my therapist was insistant that it was my thoughts and I should challenge them which I found really hard. It was almost like I ended up arguing with my OCD voice which was pretty tiring.

The only thing I have found that sometimes works for me is to label it so if I hear my OCD voice then just to think this is my OCD voice speaking and then I know exactly what to expect and it doesn't quite have the same impact on me if that makes sense but it doesn't work all the time.

L

L1F3SUCK5

I'm newly diagnosed with OCD in my early thirties but have had a voice in my head that didn't feel like my own for as long as I can remember. I didn't realise that not everyone had these voices and I didn't kick up a fuss although I did suffer from spells of depression while growing up because I was struggling. My school reports just said I was a perfectionist and shy.

My OCD voice tells me that I will get sick and die if I don't perform certain behaviours. That's been particularly bad in these pandemic times and even when restrictions have been lifted in my area I've found it difficult to go and meet other people for fear that they're contaminated.

I also get it a lot at work telling me that I'll lose my job and my family will end up on the streets if I don't keep checking my work for mistakes, if emails aren't worded perfectly and if I get any criticism at all. It can become pretty difficult to keep up with my workload when I spend so much time checking and its a bit of a horrible vicious circle because I hear the voice even more when I'm stressed.

I also have had the voice telling me that my baby, now ten months, is sick and will die unless I check her temperature once an hour or stay awake to check that she is still breathing while she's asleep. It can be pretty distressing.

I had CBT recently and my therapist was insistant that it was my thoughts and I should challenge them which I found really hard. It was almost like I ended up arguing with my OCD voice which was pretty tiring.

The only thing I have found that sometimes works for me is to label it so if I hear my OCD voice then just to think this is my OCD voice speaking and then I know exactly what to expect and it doesn't quite have the same impact on me if that makes sense but it doesn't work all the time.
So sorry for your experience with your OCD, OCD really is horrible. I have had a similar experience, all the distress and having to constantly battle the voice and everyone saying that it’s your thoughts when you know it’s not. My OCD is based around checks and routines, I have to check a lot (doors, windows, cars, switches etc) and have routines for brushing my teeth, washing my face and hands and the order of which I do my checks too.
My OCD voice tells me that if I don’t do it or don’t do it right my family will die too, COVID doesn’t make it any better either.

In my experience I feel that most therapists are all reading from the same book when they try to treat it. They are told that OCD is the persons thoughts, but I don’t know how many times I’ve told them it’s not my thoughts, they don’t believe the sufferer they believe the book. That’s how it felt when I was with CAMHS anyway.

I completely understand the distress it causes, it targets what matters and who you care about the most. OCD kind of feels like someone has a gun to your head telling you to do these checks or routines and threatening you to make sure you do it.