• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

OCD Thought Association, Input Appreciated

E

EGTUTF1001

Hello.

I'm new to these forums or any forums regarding OCD to be honest. I'll be blunt and say iv never been diagnosed with any form of OCD, mainly down to the fact iv never really seeked help to be honest.

My main issue at the moment is regarding associating thoughts to actions. Iv had issues in the past that would lead to high anxiety regarding obsessions. Though those obsessions were physical and I only got through them by ignoring and suffering it out. Now lately the main issue I have is associating thoughts with things I do. E.g If I wanted to listen to music when I click play the first thing I have to think of is a "Good thought". Originally this kinda obsession started out small and would only apply to 1 or 2 things but in the last two months iv been applying it to everything and it's beginning to take a hold of my life. Now the strange part is there is only 1 or 2 "Bad Thoughts" and there not even bad. The main one is associating someone I know in life with the action. I literally for some reason don't want to picture them with any action I do, out of fear that I'll associate them with that action for the rest of my life. I don't even dislike the people I associate them with, there quite nice actually. It's the anxiety that is created when I do associate them though is the problem. I can't listen to my favorite music, play computer games, lot's more and it's beginning to affect my college work as well.

I'm not to sure how I sound here but if anyone can relate or throw some input my way it would be much appreciated. Iv been reading up on it and iv come across "Pure O" which seems to fit best, but I could be completely wrong.

Thanks.

calypso

calypso

Admin
I don't know if you have been on much, I am so sorry you didn't get replies. Please don't take that personally, sometimes threads are lost in the swirl of the forum.

How are you now?

E

EGTUTF1001

No problem about the replies at all! To be honest just scrolling through the forums and reading some other threads has been helpful.

Anime-Alchemy

Anime-Alchemy

I have OCD also, and any mental rituals we use to get rid of the thoughts and anxiety's, is only a quick fix. And we become reliant on those rituals. I think you need some intervention from a therapist or have some CBT?

E

EGTUTF1001

Iv been using the exposure and response prevention technique. It's actually worked quite well with regards to one of the compulsions Iv had (music related). I'm trying to apply it more and more now. It's definitely easier said than done. The idea of inducing anxiety within myself when I'm actually feeling good can be quite daunting.

One of the weird things about it though is when I prep myself for E&RP for a certain obsession, iv found when I activate the obsession, I don't find myself filled with anxiety or unable to let it go..Quite the opposite..It's almost like my brain knows I'm challenging it and then it doesn't bother me at all..

I find it a lot harder when they just randomly pop up and I kinda fixate on them..My guess is because when this does happen I do go for the quick fix, which I know I shouldn't. Also, I'm planning on getting some help nearer the summer if it really acts up again.