• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Ocd Panic please help

E

elk0214SG

I have contamination ocd and I’m worried because I stepped over a plaster on the floor in public place and I’m not sure if my bag touched it. I don’t think it did but Is there any threat here could diseases like hepatitis be on That plaster and transfer to my bag or and then other things to give me or those around me that disease

V

Veteran_Patroler

I have been immersed into such concerns for months some years ago. I have researched such matters far and wide, including reading paid articles in scientific journals. Intense research 6 hours + a day. I have come to the absolute conclusion that there is no pathogen that could cause anything to you or anyone around you from that type of exposure, even if you had legit touched it. Reasons ;

1) Viruses and Bacteria do not survive for long outside of a live organism. It varies from seconds to days in the most hardy ones. Even in this case, their ability to infect a new host diminishes with every minute that passes.

2 ) For a pathogen to successfully infect a new host, there must be direct and meaningful transfer of a large amount of the virus to specific areas of the new host's body, such as bloodstream, damaged membranes etc ...

3 ) Your immune system has been designed to take on full blast attempts at infection from such pathogens. It is expected to happen and you are PROTECTED against it by the force that made you. Know this. Any indirect infection is virtually impossible, so close to impossible that you can ( and must ) ignore it entirely. Believe me, even in the event that the person who had that plaster had something nasty, it likely didn't make it on to this plaster in sufficient amounts to cause anyone any trouble even if they had licked it. Blood-borne diseases tend to be the most fragile in terms of surviving outside a live host. You could share a syringe with someone infected with Hep B or C and still likely not catch it. The stats of a single virus successfully entering your body from your incident are about 0,00000000000001% ( if you had stepped on it to the fullest and then liked your shoe ). Then your immune system would kick in and you would never have any consequence from having a micro-organism in your body, because of the very important fact that it takes a huge viral load ( of any known infectious disease ) to allow for a successful infection of a new host. It's when an overwhelming number of such organisms arrive at the same time that your systems might not be able to get them all in a timely manner.

I walked around with gloves and disinfectant for months until I had this figured out. Believe me it's the bottom line. It's as stupid as that. You are built by God / LIfe to resist any accidental infection of any kind. Know this and act accordingly. I know it is easier said than done, but in the end, it comes down to forcibly and painfully going through the fear, the doubt and the dread and ACTING on the objective knowledge of what is real and true and what is not. It will never be comfortable to escape OCD. It will never be easy or pleasant. It is a question of brute forcing out of there. OCD will destroy your life if you let it. It has destroyed mine and I have only recently understood how to let that thing die. It's not easy and I'm not quite done ( at all ) but I'm fighting back. The more you start ignoring it successfully, the easier it gets to do it again. The momentum shifts fast and you soon find yourself in a position of power and control over that demon. Keep doing it day after day and the gains will be there to stay and your condition will have improved drastically. See Exposure Response Prevention ( ERP ) it works.

It's a matter of remaining calm and letting go. Understand what this means and apply it.

You must create favorable underlying conditions at the physiological level.

It is a psychological as well as a physiological condition. You can intervene at the physiological level and drastically improve your fighting posture and the ease with which you can just brush this all away all the time and keep moving forward in life. Exercise is your top priority. The global benefits are hard to believe and well documented. Meditation / Mindfullness will help tremendously. This too is not easy, especially for us. but it has been the key to drastic improvement for me. When you're over the plaster thing, start attacking the structure, because as you know, here will always be another plaster and then another thing and so on. This thing wants to kill you. Don't let it. The way to fight back is by ignoring its lies. Easier said than done, but totally doable.

Good Luck

V

Veteran_Patroler

Hi. I have contamination ocd also. I have learned to manage it overtime. The key is accepting that everything in life has a bit of risk and that you cannot 100% prove that you will be safe. You have to allow yourself to acknowledge the possibility of getting sick and tell yourself you will deal with it. You also cannot allow yourself to give into your compulsions by double checking. You cannot google or seek reassurance on here. This only makes it worse. It’s hard at first but that’s the only way to lessen ocd’s grip on you. Ocd is trying to convince you to panic and that something is wrong. Think of it like a bully. Don’t give it the attention it wants. Shrug it off and say “ I suppose it’s possible ( even if only 0.0000001% possible) and I’ll just deal with it if anything happens. I refuse to waste any more time and energy seeking reassurance when I’ll never truly get it.
Amen.