OCD / Panic Attacks/ Anxiety Coping

B

Beth.Hil

I suffer from anxiety and OCD according to my psychiatrist. I take medication which has helped tremendously with my OCD and panic attacks however I still struggle with generalized anxiety on a daily basis. My main issues consist of me focusing on my breathing and counting and checking my pulse obsessively (aka the OCD). It has gotten better since taking my medication as I do not panic however I still have to cope with the constant intrusive thoughts.

It is something I feel that I am going to live with forever and no matter what I do it will always be in the back of my mind. I wasn't sure if anyone struggling with the same issues had any advice? I've always been a hypochondriac and over- analyzed normal body sensations. In the past year it had gotten so bad however, that I started to seek help through a therapist and psychiatrist.

I also feel guilty because along with my medications I tend to turn to alcohol to subdue my anxiety. It is something I want to quit because I know it is bad for my health but it provides a temporary fix for my symptoms however disrupts my sleep cycle.

Any advice welcome. Obviously I talk with my therapist and psychiatrist but it is nice to communicate with others and I feel like talking about my issues helps me better to cope.

J

justanote

Coping

Thank you for sharing your struggles. I know how hard it is to reveal what's going on inside your head. I struggle with a general anxiety disorder and used to have frequent panic attacks. I've never been diagnosed with OCD, but I have tendencies toward this as well. It sounds like you are doing the right things by seeing a therapist and psychiatrist. This is definitely a step in the right direction! Coping daily with obsessive and anxious thoughts can really wear a person down, though. I have found it to be helpful to capture my thoughts in a journal. When I recognize that my thoughts are really negative, I write them down. Somehow seeing them on paper helps me process them in a more logical way. Maybe you could try this, too? Also, please consider speaking with your therapist about using alcohol to cope. This is a dangerous path to be on. Maybe there is something else that will keep your mind on the right track - a new hobby or helping other people. Once I baked cookies for my neighbors. It was very therapeutic because I enjoy baking and I stepped outside of my own little world to bless someone else. I'm praying that you will see each day as a gift!

B

Beth.Hil

Thank you for your response. I have recently been typing my thoughts and past experiences trying to get to the root of what caused my first anxiety/panic attack and OCD tendencies. It has been therapeutic and helpful. I have a lot of other external factors that I know are affecting my behaviors as well but the main issue I feel is internal/mental.

I’m the type of person who does not like to worry others or seem dramatic therefore I keep my issues bottled up. I know that is a recipe for disaster but my mom is sick so I don’t want to worry her and my boyfriend is deployed :( He is very supportive and the best I could ask for but with him not being here physically is very hard. My friends are also busy starting their first jobs out of college, so I feel kind of alone

J

justanote

Feeling Alone

I understand how it feels to be virtually alone. There may be others around, but you don't feel like you can share your struggles with them. Have you considered finding a church? Many times churches have support groups and other resources that are helpful. Here is an online resource that I think might point you in the right direction: https://bit.ly/2zzyAKi. I would be glad to continue our conversation!

F

Fancyharm

Yes it is bad when people are around you and you feel alone.

That's why the forum is good. It is good to be able to communicate and just know that people are there and people do care.

I hope you get some success soon, thinking of you.