• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

OCD or something else?

S

Serenity2b

Hi, I struggled with OCD (contamination, intrusive thoughts) when I was a child up until the age of 20 where medication really helped me and now I only get the occasional intrusive thought, predominantly around my religion/praying. Over the past 3 months my 15 year old daughter has been diagnosed with OCD (contamination), however over the last month and a half, things have been getting worse.
She is not able to shower for less than 3 hours, to the point where she is panicking in the shower and wants me to stay in the washroom because she says that it helps. (when she panics she can become very mean and abusive towards other member so of the household) What I have observed, is that while she is showering she, she will forget that she has already washed an area of her body and will precede to wash it again, then forget that she washed another part and precede to re wash that part. (she is not counting or feeling like she is dirty still) She will sometimes even ask me if she already washed a certain area. Once she finishes washing, then comes the rinsing the soap off. She feels like the soap is still on her body and will rinse and re-rinse continuously because she thinks she is feeling the soap still there. When she washes her hair, she will do these steps as well. I will try to reassure her by touching her hair and telling her that all the soap is out, but then she will feel her hair herself and say that she feels like there is still soap on parts of her hair. The other day when I was talking to her, she was explaining something to me and stuck her head out of the shower curtain, than suddenly said that she felt that she had just touched the toilet plunger or the toilet. I tried to explain how that would not be possible because she was standing in the shower, behind the curtain but she said that she still felt that she did. As for her hand washing, she will wash her hands, lather them with soap and continue to scrub her hands for 5 minutes, then rinse the soap off for another 10 minutes, if she feels that her hands have touched the sides of the sink while washing, she will start again. If she sees a small spot on her soap she will start to wash the bar soap. ( we have given her, her own soap to keep in the washroom) so it is only hers in there. Over the past month or so, she will walk past something that she feels is dirty and ask if she just touched it..even if it’s 5 ft away from her. Yesterday we were both bending down in looking for something in the linen closet and she said that she felt that she just touched my private part. Again, I explained to her that if she did, both of us would have felt it. I just cannot understand why she feels like she is touching things all the time, and not aware that if she did she would have been able to feel herself doing so.( I have asked her this and she said that sometimes her mind asks “what if I touched this” and then she feels unsure. She keeps asking for a new tooth brush or face towel because she thinks that it touched the toilet plunger that is underneath the sink when she goes up to the sink and has these items in her hand. (we have a pedestal sink so it is not in a cupboard but underneath the sink) the other day she started panicking and wanted me to clean her floor because there was a mark on there that was red and she thought it was blood. (I checked and it looked like a stain from nail polish or marker) This was in her room anyways so it would have been from her, but she still panicked and freaked out, thinking it came from someone else. We also had to take her out of school 1 week earlier because she said that she had intrusive thoughts and kept thinking that she was typing her intrusive thoughts on her homework that she needed to hand into the teacher. She also thought she was typing things that she was not on social media and would sit for hours, trying to find things that she was worried that she typed. I tried to reassure her that she was not typing things out and would know if she did or would at least be able to see it and delete it, but she was not able to be reassured. We have also bought her own toilet paper because she kept thinking that the family one was dirty, she will also use 1 roll of double ply toilet paper in once setting, because she will keep wiping because she said that she feels the toilet water splashing on her every time she uses the washroom. (this has only been an issue for 3 months and doesn’t happen to anyone else in the family) then she will line the bowl with toilet paper to try to prevent the splashing and almost every day she is clogging the toilet. She has also stopped brushing her teeth most mornings because she says something will happen, like her thinking her tooth brush touched the toilet plunger when she leaves it on the side of the sink. (she does manage to brush at night though) On top of all this, her anger has gotten so bad to the point of being verbally, emotionally and psychically abusive, when she is panicking of just doesn’t get her way. This has all escalated within a span of 3 months and I have no Idea what is going on. I do see signs of OCD but the other signs I am not too sure are related. I did speak with her psychiatrist and our family Dr. and they want her to be re-assessed as an inpatient because whenever she speaks to them or even her psychiatrist she paints a different picture about what’s going on and says she just has a hard time with washing her hands. I am just wondering if anyone else has experienced these sort of things with your OCD because I never have myself and was told that it may be OCD with psychosis OCD and schizophrenia, or possibly the prodromal stage of schizophrenia, her original diagnoses was moderate OCD only because she lies to the dr. making what she struggles with sound less than what she is going through. Just looking for any insight at the moment, while we are awaiting to hear back from the referral to an inpatient youth psychiatric facility

S

saha

Hi, I struggled with OCD (contamination, intrusive thoughts) when I was a child up until the age of 20 where medication really helped me and now I only get the occasional intrusive thought, predominantly around my religion/praying. Over the past 3 months my 15 year old daughter has been diagnosed with OCD (contamination), however over the last month and a half, things have been getting worse.
She is not able to shower for less than 3 hours, to the point where she is panicking in the shower and wants me to stay in the washroom because she says that it helps. (when she panics she can become very mean and abusive towards other member so of the household) What I have observed, is that while she is showering she, she will forget that she has already washed an area of her body and will precede to wash it again, then forget that she washed another part and precede to re wash that part. (she is not counting or feeling like she is dirty still) She will sometimes even ask me if she already washed a certain area. Once she finishes washing, then comes the rinsing the soap off. She feels like the soap is still on her body and will rinse and re-rinse continuously because she thinks she is feeling the soap still there. When she washes her hair, she will do these steps as well. I will try to reassure her by touching her hair and telling her that all the soap is out, but then she will feel her hair herself and say that she feels like there is still soap on parts of her hair. The other day when I was talking to her, she was explaining something to me and stuck her head out of the shower curtain, than suddenly said that she felt that she had just touched the toilet plunger or the toilet. I tried to explain how that would not be possible because she was standing in the shower, behind the curtain but she said that she still felt that she did. As for her hand washing, she will wash her hands, lather them with soap and continue to scrub her hands for 5 minutes, then rinse the soap off for another 10 minutes, if she feels that her hands have touched the sides of the sink while washing, she will start again. If she sees a small spot on her soap she will start to wash the bar soap. ( we have given her, her own soap to keep in the washroom) so it is only hers in there. Over the past month or so, she will walk past something that she feels is dirty and ask if she just touched it..even if it’s 5 ft away from her. Yesterday we were both bending down in looking for something in the linen closet and she said that she felt that she just touched my private part. Again, I explained to her that if she did, both of us would have felt it. I just cannot understand why she feels like she is touching things all the time, and not aware that if she did she would have been able to feel herself doing so.( I have asked her this and she said that sometimes her mind asks “what if I touched this” and then she feels unsure. She keeps asking for a new tooth brush or face towel because she thinks that it touched the toilet plunger that is underneath the sink when she goes up to the sink and has these items in her hand. (we have a pedestal sink so it is not in a cupboard but underneath the sink) the other day she started panicking and wanted me to clean her floor because there was a mark on there that was red and she thought it was blood. (I checked and it looked like a stain from nail polish or marker) This was in her room anyways so it would have been from her, but she still panicked and freaked out, thinking it came from someone else. We also had to take her out of school 1 week earlier because she said that she had intrusive thoughts and kept thinking that she was typing her intrusive thoughts on her homework that she needed to hand into the teacher. She also thought she was typing things that she was not on social media and would sit for hours, trying to find things that she was worried that she typed. I tried to reassure her that she was not typing things out and would know if she did or would at least be able to see it and delete it, but she was not able to be reassured. We have also bought her own toilet paper because she kept thinking that the family one was dirty, she will also use 1 roll of double ply toilet paper in once setting, because she will keep wiping because she said that she feels the toilet water splashing on her every time she uses the washroom. (this has only been an issue for 3 months and doesn’t happen to anyone else in the family) then she will line the bowl with toilet paper to try to prevent the splashing and almost every day she is clogging the toilet. She has also stopped brushing her teeth most mornings because she says something will happen, like her thinking her tooth brush touched the toilet plunger when she leaves it on the side of the sink. (she does manage to brush at night though) On top of all this, her anger has gotten so bad to the point of being verbally, emotionally and psychically abusive, when she is panicking of just doesn’t get her way. This has all escalated within a span of 3 months and I have no Idea what is going on. I do see signs of OCD but the other signs I am not too sure are related. I did speak with her psychiatrist and our family Dr. and they want her to be re-assessed as an inpatient because whenever she speaks to them or even her psychiatrist she paints a different picture about what’s going on and says she just has a hard time with washing her hands. I am just wondering if anyone else has experienced these sort of things with your OCD because I never have myself and was told that it may be OCD with psychosis OCD and schizophrenia, or possibly the prodromal stage of schizophrenia, her original diagnoses was moderate OCD only because she lies to the dr. making what she struggles with sound less than what she is going through. Just looking for any insight at the moment, while we are awaiting to hear back from the referral to an inpatient youth psychiatric facility
Hello , I read your post . I am deeply sorry to hear your daughter's situation . May God give you and your daughter strength to overcome this situation . Please have some faith everything will be fine . GOD is with you :)

S

Serenity2b

Hello , I read your post . I am deeply sorry to hear your daughter's situation . May God give you and your daughter strength to overcome this situation . Please have some faith everything will be fine . GOD is with you :)
Thank you very much. I pray for her everyday because it's so heartbreaking to see her going through this and as her mom I just wish I could just take away all her anxieties and all her pain.

S

saha

Thank you very much. I pray for her everyday because it's so heartbreaking to see her going through this and as her mom I just wish I could just take away all her anxieties and all her pain.
I can understand what are you going through . It is very painful to watch someone struggling . The good thing is that your daughter's diagnosis begins early . Through proper medication it is curable . She will be fine . I struggled with my anxiety , addiction and depression for 2 and half yrs . It's been 4 yrs I am clean but still I am dealing with anxiety attacks . I am in recovery . One thing I can say with proper medication , love and support from you and your family your daughter will recover . I can relate to your daily struggle . If you want then you can share your daily struggle with me . I will listen and write to you . I will pray for you and your daughter . :hug1:

S

Serenity2b

I can understand what are you going through . It is very painful to watch someone struggling . The good thing is that your daughter's diagnosis begins early . Through proper medication it is curable . She will be fine . I struggled with my anxiety , addiction and depression for 2 and half yrs . It's been 4 yrs I am clean but still I am dealing with anxiety attacks . I am in recovery . One thing I can say with proper medication , love and support from you and your family your daughter will recover . I can relate to your daily struggle . If you want then you can share your daily struggle with me . I will listen and write to you . I will pray for you and your daughter . :hug1:
Thank you very much for your support and prayers. And thank you for offering a listening ear. I really appreciate that alot.

S

saha

Thank you very much for your support and prayers. And thank you for offering a listening ear. I really appreciate that alot.
I'm always with you . Feel free to share anything . Don't suffer alone 🙂