• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

OCD or psychosis?

P

Pumpkin93

Hi everyone. Just wondering if anyone has had an experience of their OCD being mistaken for psychosis? From being a small child I displayed OCD characteristics which Got really bad as a teenager. Fast forward a few years andI was sectioned with a diagnosis of psychosis due to delusional beliefs. Even though I understand that what I was saying and the compulsions I was performing seemed very delusional when taken out of context, they were all in line with the religious ocd I had battled for years. CBT therapist I have worked closely with for 2 years said that he believed that it was a case of severe ocd but dr seems convinced it was a psychotic episode. I suppose it doesn’t really matter either way but just curious anyone had anything similar

K

Keesha

Both? Ocd can bring about psychosis for sure. I’m not a germaphobic or check the door 3 times before I leave but in have ocd negative thinking patterns which can quickly spiral into panic attacks and psychosis. There is a type of urgency that goes with ocd so I’d say both but I’m not a doctor.

My mental disorders overlap each other.

B

bangalore1

Stress is a thing that brings on problems for me. I have OCD and i have had a full psychosis in my 20's.
I still get a lot of fear and i hear things that sound like people are calling me names. It has happened a few times and i am learning to not carry fear for people that gossip about me, it is none of my bussiness.

P

Pumpkin93

Both? Ocd can bring about psychosis for sure. I’m not a germaphobic or check the door 3 times before I leave but in have ocd negative thinking patterns which can quickly spiral into panic attacks and psychosis. There is a type of urgency that goes with ocd so I’d say both but I’m not a doctor.

My mental disorders overlap each other.

Thank you for this. I had honestly never considered that they kind of go hand in hand. Seems obvious now as ocd is very stressful to live with at times, and the nurse has told me a million times that psychosis is normally brought on by stress. I suppose part of my ocd is seeing things in very black and white ways, so I was getting very preoccupied in knowing exactly what happened to me but I suppose I can just believe that it was a mixture

K

Keesha

Thank you for this. I had honestly never considered that they kind of go hand in hand. Seems obvious now as ocd is very stressful to live with at times, and the nurse has told me a million times that psychosis is normally brought on by stress. I suppose part of my ocd is seeing things in very black and white ways, so I was getting very preoccupied in knowing exactly what happened to me but I suppose I can just believe that it was a mixture
You are very welcome. It took a lifetime time to figure this out for myself. If I have a negative thought pattern HABIT then within time this will stress me out. It’s not others who stress me out, it’s how I process others that stresses me out. Once you fully understand that it’s your mind that does all the processing and that it can be changed with awareness and practice, your disorder suddenly becomes manageable or can be.