• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

OCD: I Need Help

LRDNerd98

LRDNerd98

Hello Everyone, I hope you are all doing well.

I have been struggling with OCD since age 12, and it has taken many forms. Presently, I am seeing an OCD therapist, practicing ERP and taking 20mg of Prozac a day. Even so, I am having some thoughts that have been bothering me for the past six months or so and I feel the need to reach out to the mental health community.

Presently, the OCD thoughts I am having revolve around two things: idolatry and having "bad" thoughts about my interests. With the first kind, my fear is that I have thought about something I like more than God. In order to "prove to myself that I haven't, I will think about said thing intentionally. One recent example of this is Pokémon. I will assure myself that it is ok to pray and then red the verse of the day and then enjoy myself for the remainder of the day. However, this still doesn't stop guilt from creeping in and ruining all of my interests.

For the second OCD thought process, there will be times when I have a bad thought about something I like. It could be violent or sexual. I will immediately "counter" this thought with the version of said thing that is good. One recent example is Pokémon. If I have a bad thought about it, I will reassure myself over and over, "It isn't a sin for me to watch Pokémon. I would definitely watch Pokémon with Jesus. There isn't anything bad in this show. It isn't a sin to watch action. If I can read about good vs. evil action in the Bible, then I can do so in other contexts as well, etc." This ends up lasting all day, so it can be very difficult to enjoy myself, find energy to do chores and other tasks or think clearly.

I am so tired of dealing with this. I am exhausted. It feels like there is no way out. Please, if you have dealt with similar thoughts, how have you coped with them?

Sincerely,
LRDNerd98

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
Hello, I'm sorry you are in such turmoil. I don't know anything much about OCD but i am religious and so understand that side of things.

I don't know why your mind is elsewhere and not focusing on your own happiness, health, wellbeing, and whatever work you are doing to make the world a better place.

Have you ever had treatment for OCD or anxiety? A doctor might be able to suggest some local supports.

My personal advice would be to read about all sorts of things, biographies, mental health, OCD, anything that takes your interest, because learning has helped me. Reading how other people have coped has helped me.

I'm not sure it is a good idea you read more about religion until you have sorted your problems out as it might make everything worse.

God wants you to be happy, i am sure. Not in this stressful situation. Life is there to live, to be happy, to help others find peace and joy too.

Do you walk? Live in a nice area? Animals, nature, art, poetry, books.

Keep writing, we will all try and help you through this.

LRDNerd98

LRDNerd98

Ok. Thank you. Yes, I am seeing a therapist who specializes in OCD treatment. She uses Exposure Response Prevention, and it has been working so far. Since the OCD is constant, the thoughts that I haven't done ERP for yet are still out of control.

Part of the reason why my mind is elsewhere is because of OCD. I find it difficult to do day-to-day things. This also imparies my happiness.

True, I do try to read about a lot of things, especially articles and books on mental health.

I agree with your idea of taking a break from reading about religious things. In the past, certain preachers, Christian articles and books have caused me much distress and have contributed to my anxiety.

Yes, I have a back yard and beautiful neighborhood to walk in, so that should be a nice place to relax in. I don't walk for mental health improvement as much as I should 😅

Thank you so much. Your support means a lot 😊

LRDNerd98

LRDNerd98

Thank you 😊. Those are all great points. I just find it hard to relax because of all the OCD thoughts. I can also tend to feel guilty for having fun, so it is very hard to think of down time as God-honoring.

A

Am33

There is a Dr. has patients tap with their finger between their eyes helps to stop the thoughts. I would watch t.v shows puts people in a hynotised state . Reading is much better uplifting books . You can find the true teachings of Jesus at askrealjesus.com to give you help dealing with todays world .

OCDguy

OCDguy

Making a mental commitment to mention this to your Therapist may also help to ease things :)