• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

MrBond007

MrBond007

Okay so, I have a brand new Hisense TV that I’ve been using for over 2 months and since I am an avid gamer, I have quite a few consoles set up to my TV. One of which being an Xbox Original (released in 2001). I’ve been playing both my Xbox Original and GameCube on my new TV via the AV cables. And everything works fine. I’ve been playing games constantly on both consoles for the past couple weeks.

Just recently I’ve started playing a game for my Xbox Original (True Crime: New York City), to which it still is one of my favourite games. Whilst playing it though, I noticed the game was a little bit dark and I’m pretty sure it’s always been that way (I’ve played this game in a bunch of different TVs and they’ve all been the same).

So because of this, I went into the settings and turned the brightness up from 48 to 62 (if I remember correct) to help me see the game a bit more clearly. I also turned on Game Mode. There may have been 2 or more settings that I changed slightly but nothing too noticeable. But anyway the picture looked fine and I enjoyed playing it like I normally would.

Then after a few days I decided to play True Crime: Streets Of LA for my Xbox Original (this was the predecessor to New York City). And again everything was fine of course. Up until I reached a point in the game where I was driving up a motorway bridge and then my frame rate dropped to a single figure. I had know idea why this began to happen and it never happened before so I assumed it was my TV.

And so I started to have a look if it where any of the settings that where causing the lag but to no avail. I resetted the picture settings to default and turned game mode off, but again it was still laggy (at that point in the game anyway). So I turned off the game and tried it again the day after (today), the game seemed to be fine as I was driving around solving street crimes, till then all of the sudden, as I was approaching a crime (some sort of police chase) my frame rate dropped to at least 1 frame per 10-15 seconds. Even the audio, and the music in the car was freezing. Pausing the game still worked though, though it did take 10-15 seconds for the game to pause after pressing the button.

But anyways, I quit to the main menu, and resumed the game and its not happened since, and I was playing it for a good few hours afterwards too with no problem. So I have no idea what caused it. It’s never happened before where my frame rate drops as low as 1 frame per 10 seconds and you have to quit to the main menu to get out of it. I know it’s not the game, nor the console itself (though I definitely could be wrong), so it must be the TV (I had a 38inch Samsung TV before my Hisense and that was fine with all games both HDMI and AV).

And I just want to point out that this has never happened with any of the other games on Xbox or GameCube. Just this specific game for the Xbox. Pretty surprised actually that this of all games was getting really laggy at times to the point where it was pretty much frozen. Unlike New York City which is a much more advanced, slower paced game, in a much more scratched disk.

But anyways, this wasn’t really the reason as why I’ve been feeling anxious over my TV screen in the first place. As I have mentioned before when I first started playing True Crime: New York City, I tweaked the screen settings a little so they appeared brighter as well as sharper (maybe) and I also turned Game Mode on. When I went on to Streets Of LA, I noticed the times when I got lag spikes and resetted the settings.

And now I don’t 100% remember all the settings I had when I was playing New York City. So now I’m constantly looking at the screen and making sure it looks “perfect” to how I remembered it when I was playing it. From my knowledge I know I turned Game Mode on, increased brightness from 48 to 62, increased sharpness a little and I think that’s it. But for some reason I’m still not satisfied with the picture.

Im almost certain these are the settings I had when I played it, but for some reason I’m not satisfied with them. I know for a fact that if you get the picture I have now and the picture I had a few days ago when I was playing it, and put them side by side, I would not find a difference for the life of me.

Like I said, my OCD has kicked in, and I’m constantly checking there picture settings and tweaking them till they are “perfect” when in actuality they where probably the exact same settings I had last time. I mean I only moved 2 sliders up a bit.

It’s not only this too, but whenever I get some occasional slow down in games (which is normal, especially for consoles from that era) I chalk it up to the TV and blame that since I got slow down on Streets Of LA that wasn’t there before. And not just come to the conclusion that it is indeed normal game behaviour.

P.S if anyone knows anything about Hisense TV’s or what would cause the slow down on Streets Of LA, that would be splendid.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
I can imagine it is like an itch that you need to scratch?

To check settings.

I can also imagine different games need different brightness?

MrBond007

MrBond007

I can imagine it is like an itch that you need to scratch?

To check settings.

I can also imagine different games need different brightness?
Yes, it is indeed a lot like that. An itch that is just so unbearable I have to scratch it or else I’d go crazy. I’ve been trying to train myself not to feel that way. I have a similar anxiety (have had it for years) about the noises and sounds of my devices. Such as my TV, games consoles, PC, DVD players, etc.

The noise of my devices makes me extremely anxious and stressed. I’m in constant fear that my device may break for whatever reason, and thus I’m constantly muting my TV or PC to listen to the noises my devices make. And 80-90% of the time I’m not satisfied with them and I worry that they may break any time soon.

It’s honestly unbearable because watching movies and playing games are my most favourite hobbies. And it’s such a bummer that I’ve not been able to enjoy them fully for years.