• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

OCD and taboos

M

matbel

Hello!

I live in a small country in Europe, so when I'm searching things about OCD in my language, there are only a few definitions. I think that doctors also treat it only through superficial definitions which are written in medical books. In English, there are some interesting examples which contain about ten types of ruminated minds that the patient has. Most of them are TABOO, I should say: totally forbidden thinks. People who suffer, usually repeat those thoughts, although they know that's something forced and really not a type of thoughts they could really enjoy. But they continue to think unpleasant things...

I think that's one of the keys for treatment: To put down that border between taboo and "allowed" thoughts. If we allow ourselves to have any kind of thoughts, than we logically will just stop to think about the unpleasant ones. But if we keep to hold that border, we normally "test" ourselves and continue thinking. We make a heavy weather in our mind, we are scared of that thoughts and - we continue to feel very bad afterwords.

We don't want to mix taboo thoughts with reality, it is something forbidden in our mind, the part of us that nobody should know, and if he knew, he would change his mind about our moral qualities.

Elementary problem aren't thoughts. It's our "guilty" feeling without any reason and self confidence problem. We always have to test it, and we make those taboo thoughts to test our limits.

calypso

calypso

Admin
Hiya. They are usually called Intrusive Thoughts and can be a big problem for people. One way to manage them is to not try to banish them but rather to acknowledge they are there and gently draw the mind back to another image which is pleasant. You have to do this over and over again until the thoughts lose power over you. But don't try to stop thinking them as that just gives them power.

M

matbel

Hiya. They are usually called Intrusive Thoughts and can be a big problem for people. One way to manage them is to not try to banish them but rather to acknowledge they are there and gently draw the mind back to another image which is pleasant. You have to do this over and over again until the thoughts lose power over you. But don't try to stop thinking them as that just gives them power.
Thanks, it does have sense... The problem is that we want to banish them, and they, normally, come back again. It is hard to fight, because you start to lose self confidence. But if we accept them first, they could disappear. Problem is that we usually repeat them thinking that's the way to "explain" ourselves that they're no our real wishes.