OCD And Routine

D

DisneyPrincess2014

Hello, I am in this section of the forum because in addition to other mental health challenges, OCD is a major issue for me especially with regards to routine and organization. I often feel like if my routine is interrupted, it throws my entire day off balance. I often have a "Daily Agenda" that I write down, but it's mainly for important tasks. I feel awkward if I don't write one, lol. As far as my other OCD tendencies go, I get mad when things do not turn out like I expected and once again get thrown off balance. I also have to have things in a specific order (cat food organized according to shreds and ground beef variety, closet and clothing arranged according to color and type: eg shorts with shorts, pants with pants, things have to be a specific way or else it causes frustration and distress, cabinets cannot be left open (spouse does this all the time and it makes me kinda po-ed), I have an obsession with cleaning and personal care so I have a ton of different smelling cleaning supplies and bath soaps, etc. I could go on and on. If the house is disorganized in any fashion, it causes me distress. I guess I am so OCD because I feel disorganized on the inside so I strive to have my environment organized! If that makes any sense. Can anyone else relate? :unsure::unsure::unsure:

S

Sunnyday

I can relate. I have to have things just so. At certain angles, or certain spaces apart. I can't have clutter around. I also have a routine that can't get thrown off or I get lost. I also write out plans or to do lists and things have to be done in order. Worst of all, I'm a checker. I double, triple whatever check way too many things that I do.

Jean_Black

Jean_Black

You're not alone!
I have to do things in a certain order, I also write out task lists and if I don't get everything done I get extremely agitated. Changes in plans can ruin my entire day. I have a specific way of choosing my clothing and how often I change my backgrounds and profile pictures.
It's gotten a bit better since I started Citalopram, but I still have my rituals and routines I need so I don't feel like I am lost at sea.