• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

OCD and Involuntary movement

M

meercake

I’ve recently developed a head twitch that happens completely involuntarily, usually in connection with a thought of uncertainty or danger. It’s usually only on occasion, but I've had a couple of episodes of repeated twitching over 5 minutes or so. Trying to control it varies: either I can, or I experience a build up of “pressure” until a twitch happens. Can anyone else relate to this?

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
Trying to control it varies: either I can, or I experience a build up of “pressure” until a twitch happens.
I've heard this described before but with people who suffer from Tourette's syndrome.

What does your doctor say or haven't you consulted one yet?

M

meercake

I’ve read about it being related to Tourette’s but I don’t think it’s that because I don’t have any verbal tics. I think you have to have both to make it Tourette’s? I mentioned it to my therapist who said to keep an eye on it - he was oddly elusive about talking about it. I haven’t mentioned it to a doctor yet.

H

hairybanana

I’ve recently developed a head twitch that happens completely involuntarily, usually in connection with a thought of uncertainty or danger. It’s usually only on occasion, but I've had a couple of episodes of repeated twitching over 5 minutes or so. Trying to control it varies: either I can, or I experience a build up of “pressure” until a twitch happens. Can anyone else relate to this?
hello meercake 👋 yes this is something I can relate to. Years ago when I worked in a place where I was so miserable I wanted to off myself, I developed a weird tic. I’d been working at this place for years, and then it started. Was very awkward since it was a customer service role and i had no control over the movement.My head would twitch and my jaw, so I’d pull weird mouth expressions too. Fuckin weird. It went on for a long time but didn’t happen frequently enough for me to warrant bringing it up with my GP. I also wanted to bury my head in the sand and not deal with it.

The tics would happen outside of work as well, but most noticeably at work. After I quit that job it settled down. I haven’t had any weird tics for a long time now. I do remember how distressing it was though, and I feel for you. I never looked into the cause but feel like it was a stress related issue for me, assuming that because it eased up after leaving that shit hole workplace

A

Archipelago

I showed my 1st signs of OCD at ~8 years old. When I was ~10-13, I developed facial tics (squinting, scrunching up the nose) and vocal tics (small coughs and grunts, not words). The facial tics faded away, but the vocal tics lingered for many years. The vocal tics come back in times of increased stress, but they are very transient. I never saw anyone for these things.

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
I'm a voice hearer, this voice that I hear talks all the time and on occasion can even say a word or two through my mouth or growl and groan using my throat so that may be classed as a verbal tic and it seems to be able to move my body ever so slightly, it can make my finger tips wiggle and turn my head just a little.

What can you tell me about your OCD experiences? Is it just these tics or do you have other compulsions or intrusive thoughts to go with it?

M

meercake

Thank you hairybanana and Archipelago - yes, I have a hunch that this is stress related for sure. I also experience scrunching up my nose sometimes. As a kid I used to curl my upper lip too. Thank you for your thoughts - I’m going to keep an eye on my reactions.

M

meercake

NWiddi, I have checking OCD and experience huge sensations of guilt, doubt and feeling responsible for others. I get upsetting intrusive thoughts and images sometimes too. It’s taken me many years to get diagnosed and give a name to these things, which I find quite a relief. I think my head twitch may well be stress related in connection to these intrusive thoughts. I’ve had it on and off for a year but recently it’s been worse, I think because I’ve started CBT and am focusing more on my habits. I’ve never experienced anything vocal.

B

beyondhope23

So glad I found this thread! I’m 27 now but when I was around 8/9 I started uncontrollably counting things, such as bricks in the wall. It was so hard to deal with, and would often end up in me crying and crying not understanding why I did it. Fast forward 5 years or so and I started head movements, it was like a jolt of a nod if that makes sense. I didn’t notice I was doing it at first, but it would always happen at school (I was bullied so very stressful times). I remember coming home one day sobbing and squeezing my head trying to keep it still. This then developed into whole body ‘twitches’(?), very embarrassing especially if I’d move my bum. Now it only happens in extremely stressful situations, and when I think or talk about it. My parents know because they were there at the time, but I’m starting therapy soon and I really want to discuss It but I just can’t because it will trigger me so much into doing it again.

I also have weird thoughts in my head that I think are OCD too, sometimes I can’t shut them up just saying random things like numbers, or ‘shh’, ‘hey’, or just noises. I think this has stemmed from when I was younger I would ‘shh’ the thoughts and twitches or counting.

when I spoke with a counsellor about the counting about 10 years ago, she said it was OCD so I’ve never questioned it could be anything else really