OCD and exercise

H

hdlish99

First time posting, I've only been formerly dealing with OCD for a couple months now and recently it has begun to affect my health. I used to be able to exercise all the time but recently It has just been to hard as i constantly obsess about my skin getting ripped off so lifting weights terrify me. Just looking for support and any tricks you guys might have to motivate myself past it and get back to working out.

Last edited:
W

weeman

Hey hope you are well
has this always been the case with exercise? is it just weights or all types of resistance training?
I hate the gym due to thoughts I have but I still exercise quite well. Although weights is not really part of my regime. I do a lot of high intensity interval training and a little on resistance machines but never on free weights (I'm built like a jockeys whip) Do you find resistance machines an issue? How do you feel when you lift heavy things that aren't free weights? By that I mean every day stuff like heavy boxes or even shopping?
I certainly find that exercise helps my mental health but I feel for you that you are trying to improve your health but OCD is making It harder.

H

hdlish99

Thanks for the help, I'm constantly worried about my skin being ripped off and so really its touching anything that shifts my skin, the resistance weight is better and a little easier to do but it's still hard for me to do. The everyday stuff actually isn't that hard unless i put thought into it. As soon is consider seriously what im about to do i worry about it and it feels terrible. Thanks for the help though!

I

IWILLOBTAINMENTALHEALTH

You're skin won't rip off by lifting weights! :p I lift weights two times a week and my skin is still intact. My arms are getting stronger and sexier to boot! :drool: Feel free to lift the weights hard mate! ;) Cute post.

I

IWILLOBTAINMENTALHEALTH

I need to lift weights today too. :mrgreen: I'm a body builder!:redface: I wanna be very strong!

W

weeman

Hope you find something that helps. I was going to suggest resistance machines if it was just free weights that made you feel like that. Or even everyday items but as you said if you put thought into it, it would have same effect.
Maybe if you can (easier said than done) try and reassure yourself that you will be fine in a gym. Your skin will be ok, maybe you would find It easier with a gym buddy you wouldn't mind explaining it all to so they understand and If It Is a day you can't bear to do resistance machines or free weights maybe do some work on punching bags?

C

ChrisKVark

Try lifting the weight and think that it won't rip your skin off and reinforce this though, train yourslef to realise this.