• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

OCD and checking/self-doubt, your experiences?

tartan extreme

tartan extreme

Hi all,

I had an appointment with my therapist yesterday. Between the two of us we agreed that I have misophonia, but she also said that I have OCD, which is something of a surprise to me.

After various assessments and discussions I scored most highly in the checking and self-doubt subscales, but very low in washing/cleaning. Moderate in hoarding.

This is not how I expected OCD to be. I think this is because there's a common misconception that OCD is just about ordering and cleanliness, rather than a condition which describes a range of compulsive behaviours, only one of which is cleaning. But I do have a lot of self-doubt/self-esteem issues and am a consistent checker, which really bothers me and delays me at times.

I am not intending to get 'obsessive' about the condition, but purely to mitigate it and try to improve it where possible.

I am interested in other peoples' experiences with checking and self-doubt. What are they, how do they affect you?

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
I have a fear of fire or burglary, whilst asleep. I check everything is off several times before going to bed or going out. It is very annoying when i am tired and need to go to bed, but i have to check 'one more time'.

It is not very serious, just what i think a person without OCD does.

tartan extreme

tartan extreme

It is not very serious, just what i think a person without OCD does.
Indeed. I think that whether this becomes part of the 'OCD' remit depends on how long one spends on it, how many things trigger it and the level of distress and delay it causes the sufferer.

I will never forget one year before I went to Turkey I got up an hour earlier just so I could spend an hour checking the flat before I left. And after the hour was up I still continued checking things.

I think taps are my worst, followed by doors, windows and ovens, then lights. I will check taps over and over to make sure they're off, it's ridiculous.

B

BlueWater

Checking is my biggest compulsion. I check all the doors and my deep freezer at least twice before bed every night. The glorious thing about going on vacation is my checking compulsion gets a break. Before leaving the house just to go to a store, I usually check all door locks. I look in the mirror to see behind me that the garage door really did close and tell myself that it closed so I'm not backing up my car to double check. Those are daily issues for me. I like to check my supply of food and meds from time to time to make sure I never run out of anything. I'm not a hoarder but I do understand people prepping for stores to be closed and the fear that comes with running out of essentials. I hate all of this self-doubt. It's ridiculous.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
C Can mild checking be considered as OCD? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 8
H OCD and Checking Behaviour -- Looking for Advice Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
K How to deal with checking OCD ? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
W OCD checking before a trip Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 5
rosebx3 scared about my OCD intrusive thoughts consisting of my boyfriend Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 0
G Is my OCD impossible? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
K Life After OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
N OCD is destroyingmy life Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 0
D Strange ocd theme! Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 23
P OCD and anxiety over blood borne viruses Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
C Do you think I'm Ocd? HELP! Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
C I'm going crazy.. Help Me! (Ocd) Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 9
G New treatment for OCD - brain pulses Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
S Ocd back Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
E OCD (fear of being poisoned) Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
J Methods to beat OCD effectively Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 5
R Horror ocd pure Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
K Beating OCD, Intrusive Thoughts, PURE-O and everything in between Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
stevie_sloth Tourettic OCD anyond? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
J Scared about my OCD symptoms. Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 8
D Heart palpitations and ocd Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 9
T Am I having OCD? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
J Worsening of ocd 'pure o' Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 12
R just realised how serious my OCD is, after going too far ... Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
K I think I have OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
G Please help. Ocd COVID disaster :( Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
D Advices for helping person with OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
M OCD focusing on a real event Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
D Pure ocd - in need of some support/guidance… Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 31
L False Memory OCD? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
A Existential OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 12
E Ocd Panic please help Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
M OCD and Involuntary movement Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 8
C I need help on this one ( OCD ) Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
B Have You Identified Your OCD Triggers? and How Did You Identify Your OCD Triggers? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
B Which meds help your OCD? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 6
Amelia2020 My ocd is getting worse Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
N Disturbing OCD thoughts keep forcing invasive thoughts into my head and I cant control it Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
O Ocd advice. Ocd and negative associations Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
O Its about time i addressed ocd in my 30s Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 8
Tawny How to Help Yourself with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
S Body focused OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
J OCD attraction and sex Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
T Did I cheat or is it my ocd? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 36
E Contamination ocd Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
C OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 6
A I have severe OCD which has only been getting worse. Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
M My OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
B OCD despite the vaccine Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
O OCD Zoloft Dosage Increase, More Anxiety, Panic Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1