• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

OCD and BDD

Powerslave

Powerslave

Hi, I'm new here. I have BDD and a few other OCD traits which I dealing with with verying degrees of success.

My OCD rituals don't impact on my day-to day life, they are petty annoyances really but my BDD is ruining my life.
I have had body issues since I was about 10 years old and it eventually got to the stage where I despise my looks and can't even look at myself in mirrors. It has caused me to be very phobic of social situations, I had no social life for years, I have no friends and although I am in a relationship now I was 33 before I dated for the first time.

I was just wondering if anyone else has the same problems as me.

J

jeff-j

Hi

I also have ocd,which is fairly undercontrol at the moment.I also do not like the way i look and it has affected my life terribly.Everytime i meet someone even freinds and family,i feel they are judging me,thinking how ugly i am.Looking in mirrors can be terrible.sometimes i can't bear to look other times i can look in the mirror for hours,just trying to see something i like and the more i look the more i hate what i see.Only way i have coped with social situations is through alcohol,which i do not advise.I am now having councilling and i am on medication which has helped alot.So your not alone,i can really understand how you feel.

Powerslave

Powerslave

Everytime i meet someone even freinds and family,i feel they are judging me,thinking how ugly i am.Looking in mirrors can be terrible.sometimes i can't bear to look other times i can look in the mirror for hours,just trying to see something i like and the more i look the more i hate what i see.
Thanks for replying jeff, your post sums up exactly how I feel.

Well done for getting help, it took me a long long time to go to the doctor for help and when I finally did I waited for months before I got a letter saying that my referral for counselling had been lost and I would have to be re-assessed. I haven't had the courage to go back again :(

J

jeff-j

Getting help

Hi me again,you really must not be affraid to ask for help.Go and see your doctor,and ask to be referred back.You don't need to suffer,you deserve to have a good quality of life.And there are people out there who can help you.

M

markypuk

I'm with Jeff on this

Short term fix = Alcohol
Long term suffering = Alcohol
I have used Alcohol for 15 years i tried A/D's but did not work for me so i gave in and the suffering lasted even longer, its only been the last few weeks i have given Google a good old hammering and found a new treatment for what i was diagnosed with OCD my thoughts (constant) would never shut off, i could never stop them they controlled me in social situations i would loose track of conversations and feel removed from everything around me, so i would just avoid social interactions or use alcohol.
However i have knocked it on the head and I'm now on Anti Convulsants for my condition, i wasn't happy about just being labled OCD i wanted to find out what caused over active brain activity in the first place.

I hope i did and i am now two days into my new medication Delantin and i feel so much better, Sometimes the GP's have to look outside the box and not just what it says in the book for a course of treatment.

But the main point Jeff said is go back to your GP don't be like me and be suffering for 15 years get help as soon as you can, you have nothing to loose but everything to gain.

I know somtimes its all easier said than done, but remember most of us on this site i imagine do know that, but also know we have to.....

Best of luck guys
Mark

P

philmriv

OCD is me hiding up in my head

OCD is me hiding up in my head (refusing to feel the emotions that are in my body).

When I take time out to gently feel (no matter how bad the feeling is), the OCD will go away.

P

philmriv

BDD is in many cases, really social anxiety.

The same principles apply.

Plus letting go of (inner) control, and lots of acceptance (mediTation, especially present-time oriented meditations, can really help this).

Being in the present is everything...

Powerslave

Powerslave

My BDD causes my social anxiety. Because I feel so ugly and weird looking I avoid being with people as much as I can. I felt hatred towards my appearance for years before I started to withdraw from social activities.

P

philmriv

BDD is a form of social anxiety (there are different forms of SA).

All the different forms of SA have to do with feeling unacceptable, but with BDD its feeling that one's body or appearance is unacceptable.

The real issue is not the content of the fears (not the subject matter), it's changing the way one processes ones emotions.

If I can fully accept the horrible feelings, the bad thoughts will go away, regardless of what they are about.

And the bad feelings will dissolve.

My BDD causes my social anxiety. Because I feel so ugly and weird looking I avoid being with people as much as I can. I felt hatred towards my appearance for years before I started to withdraw from social activities.

Last edited:
B

bddboy

BDD is a form of social anxiety (there are different forms of SA).

All the different forms of SA have to do with feeling unacceptable, but with BDD its feeling that one's body or appearance is unacceptable.

The real issue is not the content of the fears (not the subject matter), it's changing the way one processes ones emotions.

If I can fully accept the horrible feelings, the bad thoughts will go away, regardless of what they are about.

And the bad feelings will dissolve.

sorry i totally disagree with that i have a severe form of body dismoprpic disorder that leads to a lot of different aspects BDD is not just a social disorder at all i have lived with this condition for over 20 years now and i know everything there is to know about this condition and the fact that you have classed it as a social disorder is incorrect!

each person who had BDD behaves in diffident ways its a rare condition that has never really been studied before and there is not a lot of information about due to diagnosis in the uk and statics of diagnosis there is only around 2% of the UK population that suffer with this it can be a crippling mental health disorder and they tend tot treat it in the way of OCD with certain obsessive SSRI medication but it is very different and it anger and frustrates me that people class it as the same illnesses when i can assure you its not. there are many different and more severe factors and forms of to BDD