• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

OCD and anxiety over blood borne viruses

P

Parrot91

Hi,

Over the past 4 weeks I have been thinking about ways you could possibly catch a blood borne virus, in particular HIV, Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C.

I have been thinking about the following things in particular:

•If there is a smear of blood at the back of a door handle or on someone's hands that is infected with a blood borne virus, you touch the door handle or shake the hands with the infected blood on it, you don't realise and then you go to rub your eyes, touch your nose or eat (touch your mucous membranes), or you have a cut or eczema on your hands, then could you catch a blood borne virus?

I've read on the Internet that if blood is in contact with your mucous membranes or open cuts or sores it can cause a blood borne virus infection (It does however mention spashes). It also says on the Internet you cannot catch a blood borne virus from shaking hands or touching a door handle, so I'm confused and it's conflicting in my head.

•Which brings me onto this question: Does there have to be a particular amount of infected blood that has to be in contact with the mucous membranes or open cuts/sores to cause a blood borne virus infection?

•Can you catch a blood borne virus if you touch dried blood and it doesn't transfer to you from a door handle or someone's hand?

•Can you catch a blood borne virus if blood does transfer to you from a door handle or someone's hand, either fresh and wet or already dried blood which has been rehydrated by sweat or water etc?

I am thinking about this issue in the daytime and I an even dreaming about it at nighttime. If I was to get a definite answer it would help a lot but with the conflicting statements I have read on the Internet as above it is troubling me and it is going around in my head constantly.

I have had OCD and anxiety for many years and for some reason 4 weeks ago whilst on annual leave and sat at home I just started thinking about this.

Thank you for your help :)

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
I'm sorry i know very little about OCD but i do worry about similar things. I try to push them out of my mind because if i thought about it too much, in too much detail, i would not cope with daily life very well.

I think we are full of all kinds of germs and bugs and they are everywhere, on everything. I doubt there is any way to avoid it all. Many are good for us and those that are bad for us, we can only follow basic methods of keeping safe from them.

Maybe you could space your annual leave out so you only take 2 days off at a time?

Or keep yourself busy?

B

BlueWater

Ask a doctor for answers.

Side effects of meds and people around me knowing I might be trying a new med scare me so I ask my doctor about side effects and read about them online to the point it can be too much but regardless doing both does ease my concerns a bit. Asking and conversing on this forum makes me feel better and more confident.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
O OCD Zoloft Dosage Increase, More Anxiety, Panic Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
G New member - Harm OCD/false memory/anxiety Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
MrBond007 OCD/Anxiety over a plethora of irrational things and I don't know why. Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
S help is it ocd or just anxiety? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
S When do you think somebody is abusing my OCD/Anxiety? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
U OCD to anxiety Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 8
M Anyone have tips on how to recover OCD/Anxiety Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 5
I Severe OCD, Anxiety and Depression - cured! My story, which may help you to find the right way. Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 5
S Can't overcome OCD even though my anxiety is gone Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
G My anxiety turning into ocd thoughts Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
E Self help tips for ocd or anxiety Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
S OCD Suferrer Anxiety/Guilt/Panic On STD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
S OCD->Anxiety->Depression Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
J OCD, panic attacks, extreme anxiety and depression. Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 11
S OCD/SLEEP ANXIETY ISSUE Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
P OCD and Anxiety!! Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
B OCD / Panic Attacks/ Anxiety Coping Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
M Is neurosis the sane as having OCD and anxiety? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
J OCD, ANXIETY, OR REAL? Please help! Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
P OCD, Anxiety and Derealisation Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
L Do I have OCD - PTSD - Anxiety or something else? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
Satirical OCD and Anxiety Phone Apps Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
P These forums still active? Here goes........ OCD? General Anxiety or just Messed Up inside? Freaky event! Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
Z OCD, anxiety or paranoia? PLEASE HELP ME.. Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
A Relationship OCD causing anxiety and distress Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
O OCD anxiety graph android app Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
D Anxiety-OCD help Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
B OCD feeding an anxiety state Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
B overcoming OCD and anxiety :) Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
U Major Paranoia, Anxiety, Panicky....is this OCD? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
H OCD in children? Or just normal anxiety? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
C Hello please help - Is this OCD or Anxiety? - My story Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 7
P OCD and loneliness Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 5
R Ocd Like Symptoms Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
A religious ocd Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
B Tips for living with OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
S Is this OCD? I ruined my teeth Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
J OCD about self doubt Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 5
D Ocd or Asperger/autism? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 24
J Harm OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
R is this h-ocd or denial?? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
P OCD intrusive thoughts Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
D Any advise how to calm my ocd? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
J I fear consumption of my ocd Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 6
R scared about my OCD intrusive thoughts consisting of my boyfriend Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
G Is my OCD impossible? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
K Life After OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
N OCD is destroyingmy life Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
D Strange ocd theme! Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 23
C Do you think I'm Ocd? HELP! Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1