• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Obsessive food/ panic issue?

L

Lauren81

I didn’t really know what to title this thread as I don’t want to put a label on it, but I would like to try and understand it. Perhaps you can help?
I am nearly 40 years old. As a child I had a huge issue with food - very fussy, ate very little, progressed to not being able to eat in front of people, and would hide or bin food when I could and say I had eaten it. It was never about weight, I was, and acknowledged, that I was far too thin, and never thought I looked healthy or well.
I am ‘better’ with my attitude to fix these days, but in recent years anxiety and panic has vastly overtaken my life. I’ve always been a ‘bit of a scaredy-cat’ but over the last few years I’ve noticed that even walking across fields can leave me in state of panic and concerned that I am not in control. I would just like to know if anyone else has any experience of what I have described as I don’t understand it, but I feel the two must be linked. Thanks for reading.

Z

Zoe1

yes I would feel like that if I didn't eat
I've been both ways but I prefer eating too much to too little
if I eat to little I just don't really exist

what kind of help is available where you are ?

:welcome:

L

Lauren81

yes I would feel like that if I didn't eat
I've been both ways but I prefer eating too much to too little
if I eat to little I just don't really exist

what kind of help is available where you are ?

:welcome:
Hi!
I’ve had CBT treatment for anxiety, but I feel like it’s only really scratched the surface. The food issues were when I was much younger, but I’m sure they were part of a bigger panic/anxiety issue. Thank you for sharing, do you have much help available in your area?

J

Jolly

I have a problem with meat and that was due to my grandparents having a farm and when I visited the cow I liked would not be there If any food makes me feel yuk I don’t eat it again. My weight is dreadful and I do need to put weight on. Anxiety and depression can stop you putting on weight As you are using a lot of energy. They are lovely people on here so take a good look around. I have posted a lot of things and it does help writing it down. If you need me I am here xx

Z

Zoe1

Hi!
I’ve had CBT treatment for anxiety, but I feel like it’s only really scratched the surface. The food issues were when I was much younger, but I’m sure they were part of a bigger panic/anxiety issue. Thank you for sharing, do you have much help available in your area?
in my area there is a service called One You which does support groups
well I attended that and Overeaters Anonymous
and these services have worked for me at time and then still struggle

so at the moment I'm just counting the calories and trying to eat heathliiy

J

Jolly

Keep up the good work. You are doing amazing. Just wish I could put weight on!!!! I really need to put a stone on. Any suggestions welcome xx