• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Obsessive compulsive personality disorder

anayamoo

anayamoo

Hi, I don't know if a post with this little substance is allowed, sorry if not. I've just never met or heard of anyone else having obsessive compulsive personality disorder and I'd love to hear from others who do. Its a very lonely disorder.

Passionflower

Passionflower

Hi welcome to the forum!

I have heard of that condition but don't have it myself.

B

Blue Opal

Welcome to the forum. My sister has it.
What do you want to know/chat about?

anayamoo

anayamoo

Oh I didn't have anything specific, just looking for similar minded friends 😊

smithcurtis004

smithcurtis004

Those who have this situation are hard to express their feelings and self.

anayamoo

anayamoo

Sometimes yes, but not always. I have it and while I have room to grow I think I'm not terrible at expressing my feelings

B

Blue Opal

Those who have this situation are hard to express their feelings and self.
I don't believe my sister has this issue. She is actually very good at expressing herself.
My sister needs things to be very clean and neat. Everything and everyone, especially she herself, have to be perfect. Things need to be done her way. She doesn't allow herself much time to relax or have fun.

anayamoo

anayamoo

My issue is more so seeing everything in black and white and not understanding opposite opinions to mine. I also struggle with perfectionism and when I struggle to achieve it it causes a lot of anger.

Prozac1984

Prozac1984

My issue is more so seeing everything in black and white and not understanding opposite opinions to mine. I also struggle with perfectionism and when I struggle to achieve it it causes a lot of anger.
I was diagnosed in 2019, for me, the perfectionism is all about been right. Raised by a dad that was ALWAYS correcting EVERY SINGLE LITTLE act/word/emotion made me develop this condicion.
Now i have to be SURE that im doing the right thing, talk in the right way ( so i became a excessive educated person and lost all authenticity when talking to strangers ).
Have to be SURE to learn all the facts before talking about any topic, so could not "be wrong" about any fact ( what made me in to a HUGE nerd for science, and a very nihilist )
Have to be sure that im not hurting anyone ( what aways put me in the "people peaser" side of things )

What i have to show for beeing daddy's little perfect robot ?
anxiety, repressed anger ( that sometimes explodes ), was morbid obese ( had to make gastroplasty surgery 10 years ago ), no job ( engineer ) and low self esteem.

Since the diagnoses i have changed a lot, and take no more BS from my dad. but the scars of a life time living like that will never go away.. the personality can only change so much.

*sry the bad english, but i am trying to not check every word like i used to 🤣

Prozac1984

Prozac1984

Hi, I don't know if a post with this little substance is allowed, sorry if not. I've just never met or heard of anyone else having obsessive compulsive personality disorder and I'd love to hear from others who do. Its a very lonely disorder.

How your perfectionism affects you?

From what I researched, several people with the same PD can be completely different.
The only person I met with OCPD (online) told me that she was a stereotype of conservative person (ultra religious, super rigid, no drugs, no sex)

And I am completely the opposite of that.

anayamoo

anayamoo

That's not me at all. I do sex work, in bdsm, polyamorous, wiccan, plant based drugs. However covid policies I take very seriously. Traffic laws (even j walking) seriously.

Prozac1984

Prozac1984

That's not me at all. I do sex work, in bdsm, polyamorous, wiccan, plant based drugs. However covid policies I take very seriously. Traffic laws (even j walking) seriously.

Good to know that we are not as stereotyped as the DSM seems to imply.

I also use drugs (alcohol, MJ and a specific one from Brazil that I can't translate) but all in moderation.

Despite being bisexual I never slept with men.

Do you think your PD is purely genetic or has something to do with the way you were educated?

anayamoo

anayamoo

Good to know that we are not as stereotyped as the DSM seems to imply.

I also use drugs (alcohol, MJ and a specific one from Brazil that I can't translate) but all in moderation.

Despite being bisexual I never slept with men.

Do you think your PD is purely genetic or has something to do with the way you were educated?
I think it has a mix of both. I think it's possible my mum has it and because she has it she was over strict and her husband reinforced that need of perfection so because I was already at risk for it being in an environment that can cause it made it that much worse. You?

Prozac1984

Prozac1984

Definitively both.

I remember being that way since I was a kid

R

roboandrew

Personality disorders are the result of both. Without a genetic predisposition, you're likely to respond to dysfunctional parenting or peer groups with a dysfunctional behavior, not a dysfunction across almost all dimensions of personality. But plenty of people have the predisposition, but are supported in other ways that keep their traits from becoming dysfunctional.

As for me, I have a genetic predisposition to psychological disorders, like most of the rest of my family. My parents were a contributing factor, mostly because they didn't know how to help. The biggest trigger was my school life. From about 3rd grade on through 11th, I experienced pretty intense bullying. Sometimes it was physical or threatening, and I got beat up at least once a year every year from 4th to 9th grade. Mostly it was social, using manipulation and cruelty to destroy my sense of worth and warp my view of reality. I was excluded from just about everything, rejected for just about everything, and singled out for ridicule for just about everything. And you know what the school did to help?

They sent me to the counselor. They didn't send the kids who tormented me about my appearance in front of the teacher every day. They didn't send the kid who would harass me and then pretended to be my friend, which really messes up your idea of what a friend is when you're in 4th grade. They didn't call the parents of the kid who turned me upside down and slammed my head on the tile floor because I told the teacher he had been throwing crayons at the back of my head. The kid who knocked me on my ass because I asked for my notebook back? He was back to kick me through a doorway the next year. Nobody took it seriously.

I didn't realize how perverse it was until I became an adult, but what they did was say to me that I was the one with the problem, I was the one who needed to change, and I was the one doing something wrong. They tried to teach me how to have friends, but I was the one being nice to everyone regardless of what they did. They told me not to fight back, so I didn't; that I could think myself through it, so I tried; and that bullies never win in the end, so I was patient. And it was all nonsense. Did any of my bullies ever go to the counselor? Not once. Did the principal talk to them or to me to figure out what to do? Not once. The only thing that ever happened was a kid who attacked me would get suspended. Then he'd be back two weeks later and the ridicule and shame and taunting would begin because I was a weakling and a tattle-tale and a whiner.

So I had a genetic predisposition, and then I was abused for a decade and nobody was able to help me, and for whatever reason that showed up as OCPD rather than PTSD or depression or something.