• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder and Panic Disorder

D

DRAGON

Founding Member
Hi

I have had a fresh assessment. I was previously listed as a long term case of mixed anxiety depressive and had support from a CPN for 8 years . My clinical circumnstances have not altered but the diagnosis has. Now it is said I have had since I was a child "Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder" and " Panic Disorder" The Psych says that the mixed anxiety depressive symptoms come within the experience of the personality disorder anyway and the Personality disorder is more specific so I lose that mixed anxiety depressive diagnosis.

But now the issues

1. I have been offered a referral to a Psychologist and don;t know whether to say yes or no. But the Psychiatrist did say that the success rates are not high especially as I have had the disorder over 30 years and only just diagnosed. She said Psychology might be of more obvious help with the panic disorder. In a dillemma therefore. Dpo I want to go into a waiting list to see a psychologist and go through the whole history all over again (the Psychiatrist said this is how it is likely to be) as my assessment with the Psychiatrist took 4 hours ! and all for what

2. This bit bothers me. The Psychiatrist said CPN's would be unhelpful for this and that the GP based mental health counsellrors would not be appropriate either. I would have thought that the combination of these socially disabling disorders ought to entitle me to have some sort of support from the services ?

Dont much likke the idea of having zero support

T

Twylight

Yes, I see what you mean

Is the psychiatrist prescribing any medication ?

I think this is where they draw the line

psychiatrists rely and use medications

Psycologists are more theraputic

I've had OCD for 30 years as well, but it's part of me now, but I also take an anti-psychotic ( schizophrenic )

It would be good to see a psycologist, but have someone you could call, like a social worker perhaps ?

D

DRAGON

Founding Member
medication, psychologist etc

Thanks Twighlight.

The Psychiatrist didnt prescribe anything on the basis that (a) they know I don;t like medication
(b) they said medication would make no long term difference, and one could end up over reliant/habituated

For many years I have had a diagnosis of mixed anxiety depressive and now that has been changed into OCPD which its said I have had all my life and was never before recognised by all the psychiatrists/GP's CPN's that I have seen.

My concern now is that personality disorder cases are less understood by clinicians and not even universally accepted by them, whereas mixed anxiety depression with the insomnia, fatigue, pessemism apathy, poor self care and other symptoms which I have are much better underestood by clinicians.
I consider that a OCPD that has caused the loss of multiple employments, breakdowns in clinical relationships with GP's and hospital doctors and associated itself with a lifeliong of anxiety and intermittent low mood amounts to a severe mental disorder that ought to justify the allocation of support from the services.

T

Twylight

Ah, I see

I had the manager of my support team here today and he was saying that the NHS are making cutbacks everywhere

N

Nurse ratchett

Stay away from psychologists

Dear forum user

As a psychiatric professional, I would advise you to stay well away from councellors and psychologists.

Best wishes

spiritual_emergency

spiritual_emergency

Nurse ratchett: As a psychiatric professional, I would advise you to stay well away from councellors and psychologists.

Can you provide a rationale for why you, a psychiatric professional, would advise others to stay away from counselors and psychologists?

.​